The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Questions to Ask a Possible Magic Instructor? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
I ran into someone with a pack of cards the other day and I asked him what he does with those. He said "Magic!" So I got excited because I have never run into someone else who does magic. I've only learned from books and video. Anyways, we talked about sleights and magicians and he gave me his business card for magic lessons. What would be some good questions to ask him before I take him up on his offer and what is a good going rate? Thanks. By the way it was funny how I was actually discussing magic terms with another person because I had never done that before. It was a great experience actually conversing with another person so passionate about magic.
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
desprado2

Have a look at my post on "How to Get Started In magic" which has a section that covers this in some detail.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......41&8

As for the price, that can differ, I know in Australia that a paid Mentor can be rather expansive. Prestige plays a part I feel as well as how well a magician thinks of him self. These two things play a role in the price of the mentor. The more well known they are the more expensive they tend to be. Many magicians enter magic comps for that prestige factor and if there lucky enough to win, they use it to great marketing advantage, so don’t fall for how many F.I.S.M awards his won and think your on to a good thing, as that’s no sign of a good mentor. There’s a big difference between a good magician and a good teacher, remember that.

Magically

Aus
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
As always, Aus brings up a good point. Make sure that the person is a good teacher...and that he works with you to help you master the sleights he can do. It does you no good whatsoever to watch him do it, if he can't help you do them yourself.

Moreover, be sure that he's willing to teach at the pace you can learn.

And don't forget the importance of having him teach you more than just the sleights...presentation as well, for example.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Highpockets
View Profile
New user
Dearborn, MI
55 Posts

Profile of Highpockets
In other words, you can learn more from a great teacher who is a mediocre magician than you can from a great magician who is a mediocre teacher.
Regards
age is a steep price to pay for maturity

www.yourhealthadvantage.com/
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
To use another analogy...
One of the best teachers of hitting in baseball was Charlie Lau. He schooled hundreds of players, notably George Brett, to be better at the plate.

Charlie Lau's lifetime batting average was .255.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I too would be interested in pricing? I live in Milwaukee, and have been doing magic for 6 years, I have recently been asked to teach someone, and he asked me to give him a figure... I have no idea what I would charge him for lessons. I would be happy to teach him, and I have been told by many magicians that I am a good teacher.

Just an estimate or example, anything that might help me come to something fair for both of us... Smile

I know I can't charge him what I charge for a show because he would have to be crazy to pay that much...
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello,

Try the following: Ask him to do some magic for you. Ask to see 2-3 basic beginning routines and 2-3 advanced routines. See how he does? If the guy fools the whatever out of you and you like what you see presentationally then try one lesson if the price is right for you. See how you feel when you are done.

Another attack is too make a list of the tricks or techniques that you WANT to learn. See if he is knows and can do them. If he can't or does them badly then he is probably not for you.

Price? Depends on what you are willing to pay vis-a-vis what he wants to charge, and it may be negotiable also. Good luck with this,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
To echo a little on something Brad Burt mentioned above... I think you got to know what it is (specifically) that you want to learn. At least initially, things may change as you get more into it and progress. As you are probably aware, there is so much variety in magic and things to focus on or specialize in. Be sure to let the person know your interests and see how it goes.
GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Questions to Ask a Possible Magic Instructor? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL