The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 22:01, AlexWong wrote:
Hi, I finally decided to start on the pivot move too, I'm wondering if I Can get some help...

Learning from McBrides DVD, When I try to bring it from back palm to front, the card sticks too far out for my 2nd and 3rd finger to push back.

Is it the positioning of the cards in my hands? I tried to move the ends of the cards closer to the tips of my fingers, which makes it somewhat better, but then the cards appear much more obvious.

What kind of cards are you using?
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Poker sized bics for practicing.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
When I started card manipulation, I used the same- Bicycle Poker size. I actually used those for a few years... not broken in... I did not invest in card manipulation videos (I wish I would have).

An older guy in my local Ring told me about manipulation cards. I bought and received a set and found out that they were bridge size. At first I was completely disappointed with every aspect of the manipulation cards, from size to color to indexes.

However, since I'd invested about 4 times the price of a normal deck of cards, I decided to use them. After a day, I was hooked. Intially the smaller size was extremely awkward due to my working with poker sized cards (daily for 3 years). By the end of the day, many of the moves- pivot, split fans, and steals became easier to do than with the poker sized.

Long story short... too late Smile you might consider either using manipulation cards or at least bridge size cards as that may more immediately help your issue of the cards sticking out too much.

Also, video yourself if you can and send out the video. There are some excellent card manipulators here at the Café, one of which (he may not want to be identified) has given me specific advice after watching me on video and it has helped in my practicing.

Jim
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Thanks Jim, I'll get my hands on one of those decks of Manipulation cards. I thought though that I should be practicing with poker cards and might be just lazy if I switched to bridged size cards. Card Magicians' mentality perhaps?

Oh, and the background was informative and interesting. Smile It provided a good reading.

I'll try to get more work on it and see how it goes before I put out a video for help. I suppose its only proper that I spend at least a substantial amount of time experimenting first.

Thanks again.
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

In regards to the B& F Palm...NO the thumb should NOT BE USED !! as it ' Telegraphs" that you are holding/ hiding something,

" Proper technique" is to ONLY USE the fingers ......Yes it Makes a 'World of difference" !!!

As to what are the right cards to use, Hmm... TRY em all !!! To learn more...
I have covered this subject in my past posts.

Lots of Luck

Michael Lee
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Michael,
I can get from front palm to back palm without the thumb, but I can not get back without my thumb... or maybe more simply stated, I can not run a continuous pivot without my thumb (actually, why would I do a continuous pivot anyway?).
When pushing into back palm, I can use the base of my hand to place the card into normal position, without using the thumb. But to get the card into front palm from back palm, I can not get it to refrain from protruding out from my fingertips. Smile

How can I manage this without the thumb?
Or should I just produce the card?

Jim
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

Good Question Jim, First I would say to get yourself in front if the mirror at least for awhile , Go slow at first.
If you have a Video camera also use it as a camera does not Blink.
here jim is the Answere to your problem when your in FP (inside) Pivot the hand making a fist & keep your stock pointing to the rear... Then Point the fingers down at the floor all the while keeping that thumb "out of there", Now straighten the hand & you will again be in BP position.

Jim this will take some work as its hard to break bad habits which were all guility of..ha ha

Should you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Michael Lee
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Thanks,

I'm also having problems bringing it to the front palm. But occasionally if I do it real slow, and really stretch my fingers it seems to turn out alright.

So right now I'm working on stretching my fingers, and seeing out it works out.... but might just be some muscle thing that requires me to Stretch and stretch until it becomes comfortable. Machael, was it stretchy for you when you learnt it (No doubt an extremely long time ago).
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Mirrors are good but please try not to use them too much. I say this because one will find that the mirror image is NOT what the audience is really thinking. The other problem with this is that the performer gets so used to seeing their image in the mirror, that when performance time comes, and they do not have that mirror, they are stiff and frustrated and it shows in the performance of the routine.

Video is a MUCH better way to practice and record your rehearsal times. It shows what the audience will see and you can also set cameras up to check out your various angles as well.

Michael lee gives a good explantaion of the move so I would study that sequence a bit more. keep in mind that the cards should point straight back as Michael points out.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
yanyak5
View Profile
Regular user
Delaware
186 Posts

Profile of yanyak5
Don't forget that the "pivot" move is usually (most of the time) done under cover of something else....or at least it's supposed to be Smile shhh.. don't tell anyone...

Usually your using a silk or a card, or just something else to sort of block and hide this move....Even a big swing of the body to the left or right is good misdirection to perform the move...personally, I don't think it should matter if you use the thumb.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Card manipulation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL