The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly Billy agrees that the UK syle is best! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Starrpower ,
I think I agree with you about David ploughing on regardless and not ajusting to his audience phil
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 12:54, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I like David Ginn, but I don't see how his style could in any way be referred to as the "British style."

I think Mark Lewis must have smoking something when he made that comment. Smile

Mark Lewis didn't make that comment. I did. What I meant was, as far as I can tell this is what Lewis means when he speaks of a "British style". Maybe I'm wrong, as Mark Lewis never seemed to make a lot of sense to me.
repeater
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of repeater
I can assure Starrpower that Mark Lewis is a genius. I have known him my entire life and have always admired him above any other magician. If you go back over this thread he said specifically that David Gin entertains in the American style. He no longer thinks that British magicians are better although they certainly used to be. Alas the standard has gone down dramatically over the last decade or so and nowadays they are all terribly vulgar with awful working class accents and tattoos down their arms. Some of them look more at home on a construction site than at a children's party.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 23:44, repeater wrote:
I can assure Starrpower that Mark Lewis is a genius.

Well why is it he keeps getting banned from the Café and other website forums?
pbj100
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of pbj100
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 00:35, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 23:44, repeater wrote:
I can assure Starrpower that Mark Lewis is a genius.

Well why is it he keeps getting banned from the Café and other website forums?

Because he speaks his mind and does not mind dissagreeing with the majority,
He has his viewson things and is not particularly happy if people dissagree
Phil
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 13:12, Markymark wrote:
Thank you Jeremy.I didn't mean anyone used anything without permission.
The old video tape I have of David's' Magic Animals' show has a different routine with a sheepdog called Sherlock bones.

From the tone of this post, I'm not sure that Markymark read Jeremy's post correctly. Practical Magic gave the Dog routine to David Ginn, NOT the other way around. David popularised the routine in the States, with full permission from Practical.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Im keeping out of this. Ive got my stile and I am happy with it.
I agree with Kimmo David Ginn is a good friend of mine and I'm sure he would be the first to say where he got the routine etc from.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-15 07:02, kimmo wrote:
Practical Magic gave the Dog routine to David Ginn, NOT the other way around. David popularised the routine in the States, with full permission from Practical.

I do not know about the routine. But David admitted to us at a lecture. That is where he purchases the puppets from when he has orders for other entertainers.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I found this old thread, and it makes a most interesting read. JR
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am curious what the current state of play is on this subject. I have lived the last 25 years in America entertaining kids, and before that I entertained children in the UK, so I have experienced both. My thoughts are that children's entertainment in the UK is not what it used to be, and had deteriorated much in recent years with vulgarity from some of the riff-raff performers. Does anyone agree? JR
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
As a Canadian, and someone who originally began to learn the art of entertaining children with magic from American sources, I felt there was something missing. I didn't want to be a children's magician, but more of a children's entertainer who used magic tricks, along with puppets, story telling and other things children enjoyed.

My main focus has always been about my character. I wanted children to relate to my character while feeling like I was on their level, and not some adult who could do some really cool stuff, or an adult trying to act like a kid with goofy costumes. I wanted to give off the impression that I was the type of person they would love to hang around with and never be bored with.

I believe I have created such a character. It wasn't really hard when I discovered the character I was looking for was already inside me. It was the boy inside of me. I took that boy and applied all my acting skills I had learned and studied in my years and came up with what's been a great character that children love.

I use lots of comedy children relate to. I use puppets, and funny gags, and love getting the children involved in the show. I don't write any script because some of the best material comes from improvising through unexpected situations. I do have an outline though, but feel that having room for improvising can make for some really great spontaneous moments.

It would seem that my main influence is UK children entertainers, but not quite true. My influences comes from years of theater experience, acting classes, and watching cartoons, not other UK children performers. I watch UK performers and see some of what I do to be similar. But, then again, Canada is a place that takes much of it's influence from Britain and the USA. Smile
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I'm highly impressed that one of Mark Lewis's threads is here at the top of the "Little Darlings", and that he's also recognized as a VIP.

Last time I was here (several years ago), Mark was banned - and had been banned many times, completely without reason.

Perhaps the MC is once again a place that magicians can talk - and criticise - with reason?
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
That would be nice. We could open up a "café museum" featuring the ruins & casualties of the arguments over various subjects!

"Here we see the posts of the '10 things to vanish from kids' shows' thread.......this is Chance Wolf's Mark Lewis-disguise....and this is a relic from the great street-magic vs. busking war, and to thios day, NO ONE can prove that the street-magic side ever even actually EXISTED....and this 3-sq. inch case contains all the props ever used by the Great Zucchini"
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am considering returning to the Café on a more regular basis. It is so much better than Facebook. Smile JR
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
You should send in an application to join the Jolly Jammers group on FB, no riff-raff allowed.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1667 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, MickNZ wrote:
You should send in an application to join the Jolly Jammers group on FB, no riff-raff allowed.

In my wisdom, I decided to close The Jolly Jammers. It was a good move quite frankly! Smile
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
You must be confused it's still up and running, I was just reading some posts there today.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Me too
marjochan
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of marjochan
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2017, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I'm highly impressed that one of Mark Lewis's threads is here at the top of the "Little Darlings", and that he's also recognized as a VIP.

Last time I was here (several years ago), Mark was banned - and had been banned many times, completely without reason.

Perhaps the MC is once again a place that magicians can talk - and criticise - with reason?

I think Mark Lewis still has a lot to give to the magic community. Agreed, he may be outspoken at times but nobody can accuse him of cyber bullying which seems to happen onn an almost daily basis on Magic forums. Bring back Mark Lewis I say. Also, I have heard that Mark Lewis and Jolly Roger are going to do a worldwide lecture tour starting in the UK. My ticket money is ready.
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, Jolly Roger wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2017, MickNZ wrote:

In my wisdom, I decided to close The Jolly Jammers. It was a good move quite frankly! Smile

I'm in Jolly Jammers and love it. I thought you'd been quiet recently Roger.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Silly Billy agrees that the UK syle is best! (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL