The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do any money magic in obvious but maybe not so obvious spots? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
I'm talking about the cash register at a Safeway or Fred Meyers, maybe a check out line at the mall, or maybe as you are paying your check or leaving a tip at a fancy restaurant (slow burn jumps to mind.) Does anyone ever take advantage of these times and present some mini-miracle?
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I have done it when I am in the mood. Just screwing around with a cashier or waitress.

Typically performing for a waitress occurs because I was performing for people at the dinner table and people ask the waitress to watch. I was recently out to dinner with some business vendors and they asked me to perform a bit after dinner. The waitress and the restaurant manager stopped and watched. This restaurant actually had custom designed silver dollar size coins (solid silver) in a nice clear plastic disc cover. The restaurant manager presented me with one of the coins afterwards … very nice.

A few weeks back a cashier handed me a pile of change and dropped a penny on the counter. She said she was sorry and picked it up to put back in my hand where it subsequently dropped out again. I just quickly classic palmed the coins (I happened to have a quarter outmost which held in the various bits of change) and picked up the Penny. Then I looked at her and said, I got the Penny, but now all the rest of the coins are gone - and I tossed the Penny back and forth from hand to hand concealing the rest of the coins with Kaps/Malini subtlety. I said, Oh well, and just smiled and walked away. She had a very stunned look on her face

I've done a few coin vanish/reproductions at cashiers before. Nothing major since they are typically busy and it’s not the time to launch into a full routine, just enough to put a smile on their face.
Click to visit:
UNREAL
View Profile
New user
Bronx, NY
77 Posts

Profile of UNREAL
Wow you just got me thinking...

I recently got Hundy 500. I have done it to one or two people, but here’s what I have in mind. I live in NYC and sometimes I get some stuff off the streets. i.e. bootleg cd's DVD movies etc. I'll just ask for two cd's (which is $10.) Then when they ask for the cash, I’ll do my Hundy 500 patter, show five 1's but try to make it like they’re ten 1's. When he says, "Thats not ten bucks!", I say "Well I can make it look like ten", and then proceed until finally I do the move and show I have ten. Wait a minute ALL OF THEM ARE TENS!!! But I’ll only give him one OR maybe ask someone if they have change for a ten. I repeat the above and give them the ten in exchange for two fives. Man, my mind is wondering now. Smile
"There is no spoon."
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Not coins so much, but in my local corner store I did the $20 in the lifesavers.

It was funny watching the guy's reaction behind the counter. I had to stop him from opening the rest of the rolls. Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
While standing in line at a bank, I started doing coin roll. It attracted attention, and I did some retention vanish. More people began staring, until I faked that embarrassed look or something. Then I kept the coin out of sight. It made people smile.

All the best!

Dynamite

Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I do it sometimes. One really fun time comes to mind at a Dunkin Donuts at like 7am. I was on my way to school and stopped in for some coffee. When I received my change they gave me two quarters. I said to the cashier, umm I think these are fake. When they asked why I said, “Well when I put this one in this hand and hold this one over here and shake a bit”, ... clink. I did a simple “coins across” with only the two coins. They were amazed then I said, “Yeah it's definitely this coin right here”, and picked up a quarter and changed it into a jumbo. Their eyes were priceless and it made all of our days I think. Then at a diner after the SAM meetings, we always do stuff for the wait staff. The $100 bill switch/mismade is probably one of the strongest reactions I think you can get from a waitress just because it's money and that's what they're there for. The eyes are always on the prize.
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
418 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
OK, this one is not really magic, but gets a reaction. A few years back when still had five crown bank notes in Sweden (the value of half a dollar) my dad got a bunch of crisp notes at the bank and then glued the short edges together, with a piece of card as backing, creating a ”pad” of bills. When paying for something he would draw out the pad and rip off an appropriate number of bills!
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I've noticed that many cashiers will trust you if they see you count out money in their hand for a purchase.

I've used the Elmsley count when delivering fivers and got past them every time. Do it cleanly and they just stick in the register. I'm an honest guy so I will tell them afterwards.

DaveM
dynamite
View Profile
New user
Philippines
71 Posts

Profile of dynamite
DaveM, I'm impressed. You made my day. It made me laugh, and allow me, I might copy your style some day. Nice and wholesome, clean joke (by the way, just continue to be honest and tell them afterwards.)

All the best!

Dynamite
Smile
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, you can . . . Boldness has a genius, magic and power to it!"
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Krumb,
Good question. I do happen to work behind a cash register basically all day. So I do get chances to perform those little money miracles. Smile My guests love it and come back from time to time referring to me as the magic man of Taco Bell. Smile
Brian

My favorite thing to do on a customer is a simple bill switch. Please only do this if you do not have a line of people. It wouldn't be polite for the others who happen to be in a hurry. Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I was waiting in line at HyVee.

The sacker guy said he was bored.

I then said think about this.

I produced a coin, did a one coin routine including the M.P. and vanish.

The clerk and the guy thanked me for "Making my day."

It was a nice magical moment.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Do any money magic in obvious but maybe not so obvious spots? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL