The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Many Phases? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
For those of you that regularly do finger ring and string routines, what are your thoughts on the number of phases that is optimal?
I think there can be a fine line between wanting to showcase phases that are really magical...., and overkill. Other thoughts?
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
I do 4 phases then a good climax. It is, for me, the most efficient routine. Each phase has been chosen carefully and is there on purpose.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
So, 5 total?
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I use Dan Fleshman's routine. It uses 4 phases total. The opening phase, two middles, and the closing. Dan Fleshman, (after the 4 phases) goes into Ring Flight. I do something a little different... Phase 4, I vanish the ring off the string ala Earl Nelson (Clifton Ring Move), then it reappears in the card box.
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
CORBETT

Yes 5 total. The last phase is " the ring is found inside my coat tied to a safety pin". The 4 preceding phases are pretty standards. Ring off the rope, ring on the rope, ring disappears from the rope, ring reappear on the rope then ring completely vanished to be found inside my coat on a safety pin.

I use a red velvet rope as it add a soft touch to the manipulation and a certain class (red velvet) to the routine.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I think that a well put together routine, even with nothing but a finger ring and string, can be kept fresh and entertaining as long as you do not repeat any of the phases twice. However, I tend to agree that for most situations, anything between 5-8 phases is just about right. One of the best routines ever written for this was the Relentless Ring & String Routine by Bob Miller, which I use all the time. If you separate each individual effect in the whole original routine, there are 8 single effects within 5 actual phases.

Jahn Gallo (NOT John Gallo) has a ring and rope DVD detailing an entire 12 minute act with nothing but a 3-5 inch ring (depending on your venue) and a rope. It kills every time! I bring this up though because at least for me, I have found that many of the ideas on that DVD can be adapted to close-up work with a finger ring and string. That DVD, by the way, is called Ring N Rope.

I hope this information is useful to you.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
The routine I do has three phases. Works well for me.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform a 4 phase routine - the ring goes on, the ring comes off, the ring is rethreaded and comes off in full view, and the ring is rethreaded and a knot forms around it. I think that if you can perform a routine that continues to build, you can have a lengthy routine. Presentation is probably the most important factor in how long you can go. I imagine that a great comedy presentation could result in a routine with many phases.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Corbett,

I don’t know if you have ever seen Bob Miller's "Relentless Ring and String" routine but that one seems to be a perfect length. There are basically seven phases if you count the knot work at the beginning as one phase and don’t do the extra "bonus" effects at the end. The seven all flow nicely in the usual "ring on, ring off" fashion, done using various methods - all of which are classics and all of which fit together as well as in any ring and string routine I have seen.

Thanks!

Jim
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I don't know if there is so much as an optimal number of phases, as there is good structure and routining. Ideally the routine should build as it goes, seemingly more impossible with each phase, then end with a logical finale that is the most impossible of them all. Some routines can accomplish this in 8 phases, some do it in only three.

I think that most of all it's the overall effect that the routine has on an audience that matters. Certain tricks demand repetition, and so it makes sense to do multiple phases. Other tricks are satisfying after only one or two repetitions. But either way you go, the effect should build in strength and impact and finish with something great that has a good applause point.

Some routines are actually made stronger by eliminating phases, rather than by adding them. By cutting away anything that's repetitive and getting to the bare bones of the effect, it can make the effect more clear to the audience and keep the energy and interest high through the whole routine.

Of course determining how many phases are needed in a particular routine takes a lot of thought and work, along with some audience testing to see how the various phases are recieved.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
I only do 3 phases. I start with some rope, tell my little joke, do one handed knot to the rope, untie it, take my 5 inch ring, attach the ring to the rope and then take my other ring, link it to the other ring. So it's basically linking rings and rope routine.
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
As already stated, Bob Miller's routine is excellent and the number of phases is just right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Many Phases? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL