The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance/Paranormal/Haunted House Parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
On "Penny" ,Tony Iacviello made a post about "Psychic house parties....." I thought it would be a worthy post for Spooky as well !
I read all the post on Spooky about all the bizarre items purchased,and wonder where everyone performs?
I understand we have some big time performers here and what they do! I am talking about the performers who have to work for a living,along with doing performances.
I have been thinking about ,doing a Bizarre House Party thing in the future. Naturally, I would think the best time would be in the October time frame.
Are you guys doing this? Do you try and book at Haunted attractions ? I would like to hear your what,whys,hows of performing on this type of venue.
Is there a demand for doing such a thing at clients homes?
I can see doing stage at locations that have a paranormal history.
I would like to add,I am not ready for such a venture,but would like to be guided in the correct direction!
I hope this post is informative and don't just start getting the read books,practice,you are a magician, . We understand this!

Thanks,
Gary
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3870 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Geez, Gary...you magician, you...why don't you read books and practice once in a while? HUH???... Smile

As I posted in the thread dealing with marketing "dark magic" -- I've done about 30 small parties over the past year and a half with a predominantly spooky theme and I have to say it's rapidly turning into my favorite show. The audience sizes are very small...always under 25 people, for me anyway, and the show encompasses an hour of effects.

A very wise performer PMed me and said that "if I gear my show to October...that I suspect you may have trouble with the other 11 months." He's right.

I started doing a very creepy show and they liked it. I injected some comedy (nothing way over the top) and they loved it. I really think any kind of stage presentation is about hills AND valleys.

I would say that of the parties I've done in this way...the vast majority have been in homes.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
[quote]On 2011-07-16 16:39, David Thiel wrote:
Geez, Gary...you magician, you...why don't you read books and practice once in a while? HUH???... Smile

ADD ON : David, I just went back and re-read your post !

Thanks David... I will take that advice to heart! Smile

I have no plans of being a major performer. I love the small groups to work with!
And, I am not out for the money,(Don't want to lose money either!)
I may get shot down over this comment...I am out for the fun and experiences of a few entertaining evenings , giving people something they may not soon forget!
May sound corny to some! Kind of my take on it !

-G
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Quote:
I am out for the fun and experiences of a few entertaining evenings , giving people something they may not soon forget!

Probably work out better (and be more fun) if these are your only expectations Smile

Jorey
P.S. You gotta get some books, read 'em and then practice!
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Gary, thanks for the post. I have similar long-term goals and am looking for similar insight. I am a teacher but hope to eventually supplement my income a bit with smaller venue, more intimate, bizarre performances if possible once I feel I am polished enough. I live in a very historic town that has numerous ghost stories and even a few ghost tours and feel there could potentially be a market for telling the local lore through a bizarre act. David, thank you for your insight as always. I know you said the majority of your bookings for this type of show has been at individual homes. What other venues could have potential? What are some options for marketing yourself if you aren't already connected? I hope more people will also post their experiences/knowledge.

Jon
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Another question that came to me: Once you have drafted out your script/happenings and are fairly happy with it what do you do to finalize the script? Do you go to colleagues or fellow magicians for feedback? Do you test run the performance somehow in the same or a different setting and get feedback? Granted I am sure most reflect on their shows and change up or enhance the script or acting over time anyways, but what about before that first show?
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Great questions! My ears are open. . .

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks for comments guys,and I like to know some people are on the same page as me!
You can learn allot from people on the Café !
I talked with Weepin Willie a month or so ago on this subject...He PM'ed me "Drop Dead! " Smile not really !!!
He gave me very much good advice and he shared allot of insight with me! Thanks Willie.
There is allot of egos on Café...but,there is allot of knowledge to be gained from the posters here as well!
I feel the people in the Spooky are more willing to be helpful,than other areas of the Café!
And,for us guys that are newer to this ,take some time and PM some of the members and ask for advice too!
They either will be very helpful or tell you to Drop Dead ! Smile And,if that is all you have to lose...big deal !

-G
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
My last show was in a haunted theater, which was an experience.

I usually perform on stage and private parties. As said in Penny, the private functions are either readings, seances or paranormal investigations where people think or, more truthfully, want their houses to be haunted.

Stage shows are always rehearsed regardless of how many millions of times I may have performed something. Each venue is different, lighting, sound, seating, stage... there are too many slips twixt a cup and lip and I really do not want to leave anything open to chance.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Hi Dreadnought ...What are clients looking to see from a seance ?

Or, do they just want the surprise of the unknown...and want the unexpected?

I am looking to hopefully add some new,not seen effects! (as I imagine most of who do this are too !)

Are clients wanting the bells,the lights,the boards of traditional seances ? Or,something new ?
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Sent you a PM Gary.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3870 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I think there could be something worked out with venues. I know one performer who approaches country clubs and sells his show to them in a partnership on the ticket sales. He does very well with it -- and I think he's booked solid over October doing a bizarre kinda thing.

But I really find that I prefer house parties and small company parties because they are very intimate, everyone can be in on the effects and people are always very interested in what's going on. For what it's worth, here are a couple of tips that may help:

1) Always ask for referrals. At the end of a successful show, ask your client if they are aware of anyone else you could send your information to, ask them to give that person a call to let you know they've referred you and contact them. I've gotten several events this way.

2) The show itself: I used to do complete spooky effects. But then I added some very gentle comedy notes and the show became 50% better. The addition of a little light comedy created some wonderful "hills and valleys" in the show and broadened its appeal. Oddly enough, it also greatly enhanced the spooky stuff. So I don't sell a seance show...I sell a paranormal show.

3) Keep your site as focused as possible. Mine is here: http://www.theparanormalcompany.com I recently took some advice from another forum member and lightened up on the "dark carnival" stuff. (Thanks, Walt!)

4) When you perform...really REALLY watch your audience. There will always be a point where the energy in the room goes down. Watch for this point and then work on it for your next show. Always be improving what you do.

5) Final points: Relax and have fun...speak slowly and clearly...use lots of music (Nox Arcana is perfect for mood setting.) Make sure the host knows what your requirements are...and ensure people are comfortably seated. Take your first minute to make an IMPRESSION on them and set the scene for your show. Script EVERYTHING...and then, when you know the script you can depart from it. Lay your props out so everything is handy. It totally breaks the flow of an event to watch some guy dig around in a bag looking for something. Treat your volunteers well and don't let anyone get totally freaked out. Make sure every effect is as completely perfect and foolproof as you can before presenting it.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Thank you for taking the time to give words of wisdom David. The advice is greatly appreciated.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Thanks for the post and PM's!
You may PM me on this if you wish...What title do you give yourself of doing this type of venue if any ?
Are you asked the why's you can do this? Are you a Paramormalist ? Or do you go with something like, for example " Elvira,Mistress of the Dark"
Guys, I can understand totally why you may not want to answer this !!!
I will work out my ...Who am I ?

In the meantime...I am a magi,going to get lots of books and read them,and practice,practice,practice ! Smile

Gary
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Of course, working with The Dead all the time and talking to them as I work, since they are the only ones there, developed the ability to do what I do. I was as shocked as anyone would be the first time The Dead talked back, but have been dialoging with them ever since. (Some of them tell really funny stories so they're not always as solemn as they appear).
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2613 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Ah, Weepin Willie. Never a loss for words. Clever!

TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:

...3) Keep your site as focused as possible. Mine is here: http://www.theparanormalcompany.com I recently took some advice from another forum member and lightened up on the "dark carnival" stuff. (Thanks, Walt!)...

David

David,
I'm new to The Magic Café as an official member. Visited TheParanormalCompany site. Love the name, and love the graphics, simplicity and focus of the site. I'm an amateur web designer and webmaster by necessity (on a wholly volunteer basis for some community theatre groups I'm involved with). To date, I haven't had time (due to the day job that pays for my magic habit) to develop better photoshop / graphic design skills to really amp up my relatively basic sites. But still appreciate an elegant/focused site when I see one!
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Anyone else think its weird that david mentions "effetcs" by their marketed names on his site?

J
xxx
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
I wasn't going to mention that, but I was wondering the same thing. I guess he really likes those names. He picked some great effects for his show!
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
That's the thing that stood out to me most of all. Not good for keeping things under wraps.

Cheers
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance/Paranormal/Haunted House Parties (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL