The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance/Paranormal/Haunted House Parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
It's S T U P I D...
xxx
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
587 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
... keeping things under wraps.

Cheers
Frank

Interesting you mention that. Google is a scary thing. I have pics of some of my Outlaw props on my site, but purposely changed the picture file names to something generic (or what a lay person or shut-eye might have called the object). I became particularly sensitive to this when I did a google search once to look for pics relating to a mental institution I reference in my performance. One of the pics that showed up was a photoshopped graveyard pic that I had posted to my site using the institution's name in the file name. I felt a bit guilty that someone who might be trying to do legitimate research on the institution might stumble across that pic, and think it was legit. So I renamed the file as merely "asylum graveyard".
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
TH1, I actually found that cemetery picture while doing some research (I don't know if my "research" qualifies as legit).
Its a good photoshop job, I believed it was real until now...

Of course, I also stumbled across the rest of your site and nodded while smiling accordingly.
(Still thought the photo was legit though)
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3870 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 22:15, Jay Are wrote:
It's S T U P I D...

Thanks, Jay. I appreciate it.

You guys are right. All the effect names have been removed and the "what you will see" has been re-written. Thank you for pointing it out.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I thought this was a board for magicians helping magicians not magicians insulting magicians. Jay, perhaps next time you can be more respectful than your second post.

Jon
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Note taken...my appologies david.
xxx
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
882 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Love this thread! I believe I have something to offer here. Jon asked how do you get prepared for that first show, and that is an excellent question. After all, a seance, bizarre presentation is not just a parade of tricks presented one after another. At least a good one is not. So practicing effects is necessary, not really enough. As many have mentioned, it is a good idea to COMPLETELY script your show. I couldn't agree more. Here is what I do:
1) Write an introduction and an outline of effects that will be used.
2} Flesh that out to include every word you plan on saying in your presentation. As a point of reference, every typed page should take about 2 minutes to perform (That works for me as a rule of thumb). IE, for a 1 hour show, my script is usually 30 pages (well spaced). Do this on the computer, so you can make changes without starting over.
3) Next, record yourself performing. I have a great mic hooked to my computer. I use a Blue Yeti ($100ish) and the program is Audacity (free download). Play your background music and have all your props handy. Read the entire performance and concentrate on your vocal performance.
4) Burn to CD and play it in your car as you drive around. Also keep a small digital voice recorder in your car. You will hear things that you don't like in your performance. Make a quick note on the recorder.
5) Take you recorded notes and make changes to your script to improve all the weak spots.
6) Do the recording again and make a new CD. I will do this up to 10 times before I get a perfect script. And guess what, by the time you have done all this, you have that script down COLD!
7) Assuming you can perform all your effects, it is time to move on to video. Record yourself on video with full costume, lighting, effects, etc. Have a friend be your spec for every routine.
8) Watch the video and see what is weak and fix it.
9) You are ready to invite a group of friend for a free show. If the response is strong, you have a show! If not, work on it and keep trying! This is a good deal of work, but if you really care about your art, the rewards are far greater than just money!
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Wow!
A (heavy handed) critique, but essentially correct, and then two appropriate responses from kind, serious & intelligent people!
We should commission a plaque or something, and hang it in "Penny..."! Smile
[
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Steven- Thank you for your insight! Hard work like what you mention definitely pays off in the long run. I look forward to trying a few of the things that have worked for you fleshing out your shows. Good thoughts.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2011-07-16 20:40, Godzilla wrote:
Thanks for comments guys,and I like to know some people are on the same page as me!
You can learn allot from people on the Café !
I talked with Weepin Willie a month or so ago on this subject...He PM'ed me "Drop Dead! " Smile not really !!!
He gave me very much good advice and he shared allot of insight with me! Thanks Willie.
There is allot of egos on Café...but,there is allot of knowledge to be gained from the posters here as well!
I feel the people in the Spooky are more willing to be helpful,than other areas of the Café!
And,for us guys that are newer to this ,take some time and PM some of the members and ask for advice too!
They either will be very helpful or tell you to Drop Dead ! Smile And,if that is all you have to lose...big deal !

-G

Actually, I was just trying to solicit some business from Godzilla...
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3870 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Accepted, Jay. No worries.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Diasgemini
View Profile
Regular user
Paris & Portugal
101 Posts

Profile of Diasgemini
Steven Gibson, thanks fore your great post!
www.diasfrancisco.com

Would you give up your hands to fly? That is what the birds have done!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance/Paranormal/Haunted House Parties (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL