The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Where Should I Get a Close-up Pad?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
trulymagic
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of trulymagic
Hey,

Go to www.penguinmagic.com. They are like 12 bucks, they probably aren't the nicest out there but who cares. All you need is a surface to work on and they come in many colors.

trulymagic Smile
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I have a lot of ****** pads that I've gotten over the years. The two I enjoy using the most are a Mouse Rug (mouse pad with an Oriental carpet design). It's smaller than your average close-up pad and bigger than the Cornelius Shufflemat. It's good for card work but you wouldn't want to do cups and balls on it.

The other is a folding close-up pad I got from the trickery (I think, and I'm not sure who made it now that I think about it). It's a full-size mat with a hard (cardboard?) back that's covered with a textured veneer. I've embossed it with gold leaf. When it's folded it looks like a book. Very cool.

Some people don't like the feel of a mouse pad because there's not enough give for coin work, but then I don't do a lot of coin work so it's not an issue. I think it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I vote for and use Apollo. I have two different sizes. The first is what I would consider the standard size (approximately 12 x 18) and the second is the larger "Card Worker" mat. It's perfect for the cups and balls and just about anything else if you are not restricted based on your performance area. I use the bigger one for most performances and the smaller for practice.

I've had the smaller of the two for five years and it is in just as good condition as when I first got it. No lie. The bigger one I've had for about four years. The same when it comes to the condition. Couldn't be happier with them! Smile Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
I have to say I have a penguin close up pad sitting right on the desk I am writing this. It is afforable and it is not hard backed. This is actually a good thing for transportation. But if you are looking for the best, go with dean dill. Smile
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Here is a plug for the Gibson Pad. I find its color richer than that of the Apollo. More importantly to me, the texture is superior in that it does not "catch" dry spots on the finger tips as does the Apollo. Looks good, feels good. Best in its class.
Michael Kamen
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
I am surprised no one mentioned the Magicians Choice pads manfactured by Ronjo.

Ronjo just made custom pads for to be used by Darwin Ortiz and David Roth in there new show.

http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......Code=mts
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Wal-Mart inside their carpet section has a pad called a utility mat. Non-skid back, stain resistant, 18x24, with rounded trimed edges and $4.96, no good for show but perfect for practice.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I pad 10 bucks at Penguin. They have good mats.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
My latest: I wanted to cut down on the bulk of my shufflemat and free up pocket space. I got two felt squares from Wal-Mart for 27 cents each. They look colorful, are soft, with the right bounce and feel to them, and fold up very small. When I get the chance I may have a border sewn onto them.
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Call Bob James for his folding close up mat:

http://www.bobjamesmagic.com/
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4863 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the folding close up mat. I have shufflemate but I wanted a pad that was larger and foldable.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Magic Max has a nice plush velvet mat with a buiit in PK magnet. Not cheap though.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
If you want to get a really nice utility item, check out the "Dirty Work Station" on hocus-pocus.

250 bucks, but apparantly can deliver any named card onto the surface of the mat, allowing for some cool card index work happen without going to pockets(I assume).

only 40 being made, and suppose to have a nice top.
walkman
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of walkman
Most of my the effects I do are done in my hands however I treasure my close up pad I think of it as my stage. I use a small aprox. 9 by 12 pad purchased from the magic shop I score the back in thirds so I can fold it to fit nicely in my close up case.I think the most important thing about your pad is the color I like burgandy.
P.S, I luv magic
Walkman
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
277 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
For general purpose use I like the Apollo pads.
Download our Free Magic Inventory and Show Creation software - www.mailware.com/magic

Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
I actually made my own in several formats. I used Neoprene, which is the material used in diving wetsuits (being a diver I thought, wow, my wetsuit is a giant close-up mat! lol) It is not cheap and is sold in 51" x 83" sheets but it comes in different thickness and colors. This is the same material that most close-up pads are made from. Her's a link to my supplier.
http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Where Should I Get a Close-up Pad?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL