The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The top mentalism books/DVDs (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
All you'll ever need...

13 Steps of Mentalism- Tony Corinda
Bob Cassidy- Artful Mentalism
Banachek- psychological subtleties 1
Maximum Entertainment- Ken Weber

A note pad and a pen to start writing your own presentations... Sorted!

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 12:19, Colin wrote:
All you'll ever need...

13 Steps of Mentalism- Tony Corinda
Bob Cassidy- Artful Mentalism
Banachek- psychological subtleties 1
Maximum Entertainment- Ken Weber

A note pad and a pen to start writing your own presentations... Sorted!

Col

He doesn't need to buy your books Colin?
And what about my DVD ?"..

I don't see how he can get anywhere with this 2 important items.
:)

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
My suggestions have already been given, so I’ll just second my top two. First, definitely check out Bob Cassidy’s 39 Steps. As important as the names of the books, are the reasons he gives for selecting them. It’s an education in itself.

Second, as Last Laugh suggested, learn how to really talk to your audience, engage them. I can’t speak for everyone, but as a magician I tended to hide behind my props. Of course I got the “wowwie” moments, and everyone felt connected, but with mentalism, it’s all you. You’ll still have a few tools to work with, but if you can’t carry it “alone and naked”, you’re simply not going to go very far.

I remember an interview with Jerry Clower where he decried the simple fact that most people don’t really know what a “raconteur” is; most interestingly, some people who claim to be that, don’t know exactly what it is.

Before magic, before directing, before acting, before anything else, I want to entertain. If I have to stand alone in front of thousand people with nothing but the lint in my pocket, I want them to leave there remembering that they had a good time. In martial arts I learned that there is only one weapon you have with you at all times. On stage, my words are with me always.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I'm flabbergasted by the great advice given here. Thank you all for helping me out in my studies, keep it coming.
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
I have to say Switchcraft is amazing, before I read it I was scared of billets (nightmares and all, terrifying bits of card!!) but after reading it I completely changed my mind about billets. Well worth a read, and obviously 39 Steps is a gold mine of great books.

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Here is a book that hasn't been mentioned but should be owned read till it falls apart, bought again and read till it falls apart again, then rinse repeat 5 more times.

the book is:

How To Win Friends And Influence People by Dale Carnegie
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Just finished reading two great books
- Mental Epic Compendium compiled by Paul Romhany- made me completely re-think and re-value the power of Mental Epic. My favourites in the book are the non-gaffed board versions. This is something we should all read. This has a wealth of fantastic routines and information that will make you think about other mentalism effects.
- Practical Psychic's Little Black Book - Neal Scryer & R. Webster - what a fantastic book this is. The chair routine is a gold mine!!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I have PPLBB from from N.S. R.W. (Phew) some awesome information lies within, I cannot wait for his second book to come out.

I'm bookmarking this thread!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2011-07-19 16:29, Euan4 wrote:
I have to say Switchcraft is amazing, before I read it I was scared of billets (nightmares and all, terrifying bits of card!!) but after reading it I completely changed my mind about billets. Well worth a read, and obviously 39 Steps is a gold mine of great books.

Euan

Thank you, Euan!

I very much appreciate your post and am glad you are enjoying the book.

Elliott
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Can we just make this a sticky topic already?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I have just bought and read Bob Cassidys Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism. This is a really great book. I would recommend this to anyone interested in getting into mentalism. It has some great idea's regarding theory. It's also an easy and entertaining read which helps! It's only $29 dollars too!

http://www.lybrary.com/fundamentals-p-562.html

all the best
Sean
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Oh, and I'd hate anyone to think I didn't pay for it (as happened to someone else who posted about it) Smile

So just in case..... http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j447......ed-1.jpg
Happy days Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-07-18 20:57, mastermindreader wrote:
Here it is again! (probably for about the hundredth time!)

My "39 Steps" is an article in which I list (together with descriptions and reasons) what I believe to be the most important books in mentalism.

You can read it FREE at http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Good thoughts,

Bob

Thanks for posting that Bob. again. Smile

Decomp
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Just out of interest has anyone took the time to do the exercises in Fundamentals. I've been going through them mentally and it's actually quite fun and enlightening.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The top mentalism books/DVDs (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL