The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Phone Booth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
I saw "Phone Booth" on DVD the other day.

I didn't know what to expect. I'd heard very little about it and I only recall seeing Colin Farrell in one other film (DareDevil - and I thought he over-acted it).

Anyway, I thought the film was VERY VERY good. Colin Farrell did an excellent job. The tension was maintained throughout the film which was shot in just 10 days. Highly recommended.

Did anyone else enjoy it too?
Lyndsy M.
View Profile
New user
Ontario, Canada
6 Posts

Profile of Lyndsy M.
I really enjoyed it myself.
I thought it was different, and Colin Farrell was amazing! I didn't know that it was shot in just 10 days!!! That makes it even better.
I would see it again.
Smile
Check out Peter Loughran's newest illusions:
www.masterofillusions.ca
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I thought the movie was Collin Farrell's worst movie EVER.

How unimaginative and dull can a movie be? 95% of the movie was one scene!! And the script! The writers for that movie are seriously lacking in their English skills. How many F's were in there?

The only thing I can applaud the movie on was the ending. That was what made this pathetic movie move up to "pathetic but good ending" status.

S.W.A.T. was a million and a half times better.

Chris
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-08-24 14:07, Seismic wrote:

S.W.A.T. was a million and a half times better.

Chris

Yeah, now THERE is a movie drenched in reality. Smile
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Lyndsy - If you get a chance to watch it again try to get the DVD. The making of the film is moderately interesting, but one of the best parts is seeing Colin Farrell act out the scene near the end where he confesses everthing. He manages to do about 5 minutes of script all in one take, going through the range of emotions required of him (I think they cut between different cameras in the actual film so you don't know that it's just the one take). It raised my assessment of him to a higher level - a stunning achievement.

Chris - I suppose it depends what style of films you like. I didn't find it dull in the slightest - I found it gripping. Oh well - show's how varied tastes can be. The "one-scene" thing has been done before in films like Rear Window which I also enjoyed.

Haven't heard of S.W.A.T. Do you know of any other films that Colin's been in as I hardly know him at all?
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
How unimaginative and dull can a movie be? 95% of the movie was one scene!!

Then I would not recommend to you "My Dinner With Andre." Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-08-24 17:30, marko wrote:
Quote:
How unimaginative and dull can a movie be? 95% of the movie was one scene!!

Then I would not recommend to you "My Dinner With Andre." Smile

Or 12 Angry Men. Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Beetroot,
Collin Farrell was in The Recruit with Al Pacino and another one recently that I can't quite remember right now. I am not a big fan of his, only recently been noticing the movies he is in. That doesn't mean to say that I have any dislike for him either, btw.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
He was really good in Minority Report.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
The hard thing to pull off in movies that only have one setting is to keep an audiences interest. I believe this movie did that very well. As for all the cursing, I think that had to be the most realistic part of the movie. If you were in same situation, I would imagine that you might react a little differently than you expect.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
Colin Farrell seems to be in all of the fun movies lately. Minority Report, The Recruit, Phone Booth, S.W.A.T., Daredevil, and wasn't he in Saving Private Ryan?
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Decent movie although it has been about 10 years since I have seen a phone booth

Jeff
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-08-26 12:36, totalpackage56 wrote:
...Saving Private Ryan?

I think that was the horrible 'Hart's War'.

Lee
denver
View Profile
New user
Jefferson, GA
66 Posts

Profile of denver
I liked Phone Booth but the same sceneriao killed me, although it's the main scene of the story I got bored of him in the booth for the majority part of the movie...but it had a great villian.
Leon of PrimRose
View Profile
New user
mayfield, new york
69 Posts

Profile of Leon of PrimRose
I saw that movie. It rules. It's definitely on my top ten. Smile Smile
Being forgotten is worse than death

There was never anything but life...life and death...Good...Evil...It all depends on how you look at life... and death. The strong, the weak. It's all just a concept.

Believe the unbe
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
When I first saw the preview for Phone Booth, I thought it was going to be the worst movie of the year! But when I actually watched the film, it was awesome! Very suspenseful and very well done.

Mistro
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Mistro,

I agree. I saw some stills of Colin in the booth and then a couple of snippits on TV and I thought "uh oh!".

The only reason I watched it was because my wife rented it not realising (after seeing the TV snippits) that my comment "that looks interesting" was sarcastic.

So I was very pleasantly surprised.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
The project seemed to bounce around a lot for years. I remember someone saying that when Michael Bay (crap director of overblown Bruckheimer movies such as Armageddon and Pearl Harbor) was presented with the project, his first question was, "How soon can we get the guy out the booth?" Smile

I assume the rest of that question was, "And into a car chase that ends with the hero having to decide between cutting the red or blue wire to disarm a bomb. Then a tearjerking farewell to his family and finally an ending credit dedicating the film to all those that heroically lost their lives defending the USA and the rights of its movie companies to produce jingoistic action films."
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Quote:
And the script! The writers for that movie are seriously lacking in their English skills. How many F's were in there?
That is because when Collin Ferrel was acting he would improvise a lot of the lines because he was in character, thus the reason there are so many curse words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Phone Booth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL