The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Your favorite handling for Egg to Silk (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Now that I have two sets of Bob Sander's Silk-to-Egg (in brown egg and white egg), I want to ask all of you 'Silk-to-Egg aficionados' what routine you prefer. Is there a video that is your favorite? I want to know the best way to handle the exchange? I have my own way, but I know there has to be something better than mine. Sometimes I feel like I am all thumbs!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
The late Steve Dacri's handling of egg to silk is my favorite and is very deceptive. It is the one I use. Very clean.
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
Totally agree with Darkwing about Steve Darci's handling. I changed to his handling about a year ago for walk-around. Think I will be looking into ordering Bob Sander's "egg dropper".
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

I will check out Steve's version. I see has: "No Filler #3 by Magic of Steve Dacri - DVD" upon which I should find the Silk to Egg. Is this what you suggest? What do you think about Cody Fisher's version?
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Dacri was using the Mark Wilson technique, he add the 'do as I do" thing with an audience member.

Cody Fisher is Dacri's routine, with a kicker (the spectator's egg become also real)
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 09:11, Darkwing wrote:
The late Steve Dacri's handling of egg to silk is my favorite and is very deceptive. It is the one I use. Very clean.

Correction; silk to egg. My bad.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are many different handling for the Silk to Egg, Tarbell has several, and I have seen others using just sleight of hand and other using a gimmick. There are transformations like in Kling Klang and the old magician in trouble with explanation.

I have used a routine that came with my gimmick as a teenager, the Harold Sterling handling to me is the most logical and entertaining of the many versions I have collected and seen. It may be because it is the 1st one I was exposed to and learned, after years of performing this version, I found the success is all in the showmanship of the presenting the effect. This is where stage technique can make a small effect a great effect.

This effect I would say is my biggest trick that gets huge reactions from the whole audience and the best spontaneous applause of any of my effects. I also note that is it not the one that is usually remembered by the audience after the show. This was just an observation I have made from my experience.

The most recent being Cody Fisher's "Silk 2 Egg" where the effect is 'you do as I do' effect. A new twist that may be exciting to do on stand-up shows.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Here's my personal favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUc3UCWs30
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5723 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've always loved Mark Wilson's handling, since I first saw it as a kid. It's available on one of his Magic Circus DVDs, although there's no explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if the handling is out of Tarbell.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I admire many of the aforementioned routines/handlings, but the one I use can be found in the "Silks & Eggs" section of Volume 3 of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. (I believe it's called "Rice's Sucker Silk to Egg".) It's the handling that Whit Haydn uses for his routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUc3UCWs30

I'm presently studying Cody Fisher's unique routine. IMO he has created the first truly original twist on this classic plot, even more so than the Dacri routine from which he drew inspiration.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
What's wrong with Bob's version?
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Nothing. Why?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1811 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I remember that Gaetan Bloom had a very clever handling for the silk to egg. It was explained in his lecture. I'm not sure if it's on any of his DVDs.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sonny, is Gaetan Bloom version of the Silk to Egg on his 2002 lecture tour CD?

http://www.kjmagic.com/catalog/books_dvds.html

scroll to last item on this page.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 20:34, Rainboguy wrote:
Here's my personal favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUc3UCWs30

I agree, Pop's routine is superb. Short and to the point.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Standard Silk to Egg sets come with everything necessary to do the Stodare Egg trick from Rice's which tends to be the de facto and seminal handling of silk to egg used by most magicians today. Some of the DeLuxe sets come with that "special something"....that helps sell and "pont" the trick's ending.

Silk to egg is one of the tricks that will get you "ahhhh's"....from the audience.......it's a keeper.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anyone invest in this comprehensive version? Looks interesting, anyone have it and care to comment? Is the egg supplied any good, meaning well made without a seam?

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......word=EGG

Click here to view attached image.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Whit's the Man!
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
1379 Posts

Thanks for all the commentary. This is very valuable information. Sorry, I have been on the road performing, hence the delay in my response. I have been working with Bob's routine and have really enjoyed watching the various links, especially Pop Hayden's. I love his southern drawl and the character he creates.

If you have ever heard me talk, you know that I have a soft southern drawl, especially when I am around people like Bob Sanders! You see, I was born in the deep south but escaped to places elsewhere. Normally, I can disguise this accent, but I can see where a drawl could be especially effective in certain settings!
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Back when cars had fins, Whit and I opened for some of the same recording artists but we did not know each other! I enjoy talking to Whit by phone because he speaks good Southern English!

It's not rare finding a good magician hiding in Kentucky. I am in Kentucky today. (But I sent Silk to Egg props to China! Yesterday I sent some to Canada. Perhaps Americans could use them. LOL! Actually Indiana got some too.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Your favorite handling for Egg to Silk (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL