The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Outs for the classic force (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I've just started learning the classic force. Does anyone have any suggestions on possible outs if the desired card is not picked?

I have been toying around with the idea with using the Gary Ouellet touch force as a possible out. How about you guys?

Also, any tips on how to practice the force in performance situations?
Andy H
View Profile
Regular user
London
106 Posts

Profile of Andy H
Go into any other trick, for me this would be Red Hot Mama or really anything involving free choice, if you classic force them count yourself lucky I have a hard time with all my teenage friends who are a bunch of smart alecs.
Paul Harris: My Astonishing Hero
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Merlin posted a "Faux Classic Force" that's a great way to get them to choose your card every time, with none of the down sides you've mentioned above. It's on the Visions website.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
If they don't choose the "force card" then use the "force card" as a Key card instead.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Howdy:

Two excellent ideas above. The basic out has always been to simply go into another routine in which a random selection is fine.

The second suggestion is one of my personal favorites and that's to use the 'force' card as a KEY CARD! The problem with that was that at one time I did the blasted sleight so much that I just didn't miss. Then I realized, that I could 'miss' on purpose. That may sound odd, but for instance: Hold a break ready to do the force. Turn your head and have a card selected above the 'force/key'. Keep head turned away. Break at the key and have the card replaced. Placing the top half on top of the selection. If you are really brave ask the spectator to do a quick overhand shuffle. It is very unlikely that it will be separated from the key. Finish in normal 'key' style. Best,

Brad Burt
Brad Burt
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Thanks for the advice guys...

As for Brad's and Wayman's suggestions that I use the force card as a key card I would like to ask this:

What is your favourite way to reveal the selected card using a key card principle? Normally, I would deal the cards face up onto the spectators hand while asking them to concentrate on their card. Or maybe even do it face down, tilting the cards slightly to catch glimpses of the cards.

Does anyone have a more interesting or novel revelation?
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
Use the ancient, but still effective, Circus Card Trick:

Deal the cards one at a time, face up, onto the table. Keep going past the key card and the selected card. After you have dealt several cards past the selected card, stop and tap the top card of the deck with your forefinger and say, "I'd be willing to bet $100 that the next card I turn over will be your card." You wait for a response from the spectator. Then you say, "Remember, I said the next card I turn over will be your card." You pick up the selected card, show it to the spectator, and place it face down on the table. I sort of smack it face down on the table for a bit of emphasis. You can finish by saying, "Now you know why you should never bet on a sure thing."

Of course, if the spectator does take you up on the bet, you can not take the money.

--Rick
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Hey Ricky,

I like your suggestion. It's definitely a nice comedy revelation. I think I may have read about it in one of those beginner's magic books, either Dummies or Complete Idiot's guide. I will have to try that one out as a quickie some other time. Smile
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
When a spectator chooses the 'wrong' card I use it as an excuse to introduce an Invisible Deck or Brainwave Deck. These usually go down better than the trick I was going to do! Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
MariusHaugan
View Profile
New user
Norway
91 Posts

Profile of MariusHaugan
Why don't just use a Hindu force? Smile If you do the Hindu shuffle alot 9in your routine it will seem like a totally free choice to them.

(I tested it out today with excellent results!)
"There is no branch of conjuring that so fully repays the amateur for his labor and study as sleight-of-hand with cards."
S.W Erdnase
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
If they don't pick the right card I think the whole 'using it as a key card' ploy is weak. If you practice the classic force and learn it well, they WILL pick the card you want them to everytime. If you're still learning and miss the force, then have another effect ready to do with their freely selected card.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Don't let them pull the card out completely, just leave it sticking out and cut the force card to the top. Get a little finger break under it as you pull out their selected card and do a double lift, showing the "forced card".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
Thoughtreader,

Just wondering, do you use that particular out on a regular basis... because I am wondering whether spectators find that in the least bit fishy. Also, wouldn't showing the card via a double lift rule out any effect where the magician isn't supposed to know which card has been selected?
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
In all modesty,
I don't need it as an out as I never miss with my classic force however I do demo that particular out during my card workshops AND if you use a double lift such as a knock-out double lift, then you not only just appear to deal the card out BUT you can merely hold it up while you turn away and say "Please remember your card".

Also, I NEVER say "pick a card" I always say "touch a card please". Then I can give them directions as to "remove it" or I can move it to the top of the deck (and can use the out). Also, if it doesn't look 100% kosher and only 97%, is that not preferable than demonstrating to everyone that you screwed up the trick when you tell them to forget that card and take another one?!?!?!

I hope that explains that all to you. If you need to know more, feel free to contact me privately.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
dave s
View Profile
New user
new york
88 Posts

Profile of dave s
Another thought:

If you are classic forcing and you pass the card and the spectator hasn't picked a card yet, turn your head away and step back a step, while saying "have you got one? Just show it to everyone etc." (It appears to the spectator as though you thought they picked a card). Then when you try to force the card again, the spectator will be more likely to pick a card quickly.
If you need a sure fire and seemingly fair force, look into the psychological stop force. (There is a fantastic description of this in Simon says, by Simon Lovell. By the way, the book is incredible!)
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
Ok so they have taken out the wrong card, so what I do is change the force to fit the position I'm now in. This case the spectator holds a card in his hands that is not the one you wont. So before I close the fan I take a break at the force card in the deck. I then go into the Stanley Collens force on page 44 of "The Amateur Magicians Handbook". Another sauce for this force is in "Blackstone's Monden Card Tricks" on page 62. In the "Amateur Magicians Handbook" version it uses a knife, all you have to do is replace that will the card the spectator is now holding, and put it to the same use.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Outs for the classic force (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL