We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A Few Questions to Veteran Hypnotists (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
On viewing my own videoclips I have just realised one advantage of this so-called "street hypnosis" that I never thought of. I refuse to share it at this stage. However, I must reluctantly say that it could possibly be a positive thing. I shall see if any more positive things emerge before I give my verdict on the matter.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 17:05, Mark Lewis wrote:
Correct. I am the original trainer back in 1998. Before me there may have been the odd course or two but they were pretty rare. I personally had to learn from books. There was very little of this training nonsense before 1998 and what there was, was very low key and hardly anyone knew about it. And as a result nowadays there are too many bloody hypnotists and it is all my fault.

Various starving stage hypnotists looked at my course and said to themselves, "Look at all the money Mark Lewis is making and he is nowhere as good as me. How dare he make all this money when I could be making it too"

And they did. With the result that there are now trillions of crappy hypnotists out there including several million on this forum.

Yep. All my fault.

So as a result of taking your original training, there are lots of "crappy hypnotists." Doesn't say much for you now, does it?
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 18:02, Mark Lewis wrote:
On viewing my own videoclips I have just realised one advantage of this so-called "street hypnosis" that I never thought of. I refuse to share it at this stage. However, I must reluctantly say that it could possibly be a positive thing. I shall see if any more positive things emerge before I give my verdict on the matter.

And other than to yourself, your verdict is important to whom?
Capt Blah
View Profile
New user
I've managed to say so much with only
14 Posts

Profile of Capt Blah
Geekofspades, please please please on no account feed the troll - or even read his posts.

Apparently he is using a 13 year-old photograph and still has a face that only a fist could love.

Normally I am a placid type of person, but one thing that gets me really mad is when an established practitioner attempts to discourage someone who is learning. He seems obsessed with making money, however from reading your OP I think you want to learn about hypnosis and have some fun with it.

My guess is that this troll has forgotten what it is like to actually enjoy hypnosis and his mean responses on this thread reflect this. Lucky for you, you have some of the greats advising you here (not me!). Sir Anthony is one of the good guys and his materials are excellent - you can't go wrong there. And if you take a "fun" attitude to your street hypnosis you will survive the odd setback.

Magnetic palms is a great "starter" as you can build on it, adding suggestions and ultimately using it as an induction. It also provides great "cover" if the induction fails, as you can say "wow - you did so well...it was probably too noisy/hot/smelly here for the last part to work - but you did brilliantly! You are a natural!"

Anyway - best of luck!
geekofspades
View Profile
New user
PH
9 Posts

Profile of geekofspades
I actually was pondering if he is really serious or just a really serious troll.

As for a fun attitude, I've always had it that when I'm performing I sometimes forget all bout performing and end up just making everybody laugh.

I've always had this attitude to just enjoy what I do, and make sure the spectator or subject is enjoying my mentalism. And as long as we both enjy things, nothing is gonna go wrong.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 01:09, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-24 18:02, Mark Lewis wrote:

And other than to yourself, your verdict is important to whom?

My verdict is important to EVERYBODY. Especially the street hypnotists. I have seen one argument that is in their favour. And since it is perfectly obvious that I know more about this subject than anyone else it is incumbent on the rest of you to listen to what I have to say. Just because I have expressed some initial cynicism concerning the matter does not mean to say that I cannot be won over. Anthony has done a very bad job of it with his awful video but the Kiwi who thinks he is not a Kiwi did quite a good job on his own website. And the Chase personage did make one point that seems to make sense. However, one little point is not the complete answer. I am afraid I shall need more evidence before I can wholeheartedly endorse this, what seems to me, extremely daft business of accosting innocent passers-by in the street.

I would imagine that hypnotherapists would be even more horrified by this than stage hypnotists as it seems to bring hypnosis into more disrepute than even stage hypnotists are alleged to do. I wonder what their attitude to the matter is?
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 04:12, Capt Blah wrote:
Geekofspades, please please please on no account feed the troll - or even read his posts.

Apparently he is using a 13 year-old photograph and still has a face that only a fist could love.

Normally I am a placid type of person, but one thing that gets me really mad is when an established practitioner attempts to discourage someone who is learning. He seems obsessed with making money, however from reading your OP I think you want to learn about hypnosis and have some fun with it.

My guess is that this troll has forgotten what it is like to actually enjoy hypnosis and his mean responses on this thread reflect this. Lucky for you, you have some of the greats advising you here (not me!). Sir Anthony is one of the good guys and his materials are excellent - you can't go wrong there. And if you take a "fun" attitude to your street hypnosis you will survive the odd setback.

Magnetic palms is a great "starter" as you can build on it, adding suggestions and ultimately using it as an induction. It also provides great "cover" if the induction fails, as you can say "wow - you did so well...it was probably too noisy/hot/smelly here for the last part to work - but you did brilliantly! You are a natural!"

Anyway - best of luck!

Blah, my boy. You are being very rude indeed and that is a very unwise thing for you to do since you cannot possibly win with me. I must inform you that since you have only made 6 posts here and I am a VIP it would behoove you not to refer to me as a "troll". A far better description would be "a genius of the first magnitude" and I shall expect you to grovel in a more appropriate manner in the future to your elders and betters.

If you are supposedly a placid person (which I do not believe for a moment) it would behoove you not to make remarks about fists and faces which could be implied as a threat of violence. I shall expect you to behave yourself in the future and if you do not do so in my capacity as a VIP I shall request the moderators to make you stand in the corner with a dunce's cap on your head.

I am NOT obsessed with making money as I have pots and pots and pots and pots and pots and pots of it already. At this stage I am merely obsessed with counting it rather than making it.

At the moment I am on the fence regarding this daft street hypnosis nonsense until I find out more about it. I am not quite as vehement in my dislike of it as some of my other colleagues on this august lunatic aslum-sorry-I meant to say section. However, I need to more about it before I can offer an opinion either way. I am afraid that some of the daft responses from those of you who have only just come off breast feeding are not very conducive to winning me over to your case. Still, youth has always been wasted on the young.
snm
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of snm
Mark,

What is so difficult to understand? "Street" hypnosis would be the equivalant of street magic.

For those wondering, yes I have performed a typical stage hypnosis show, in the streets busking. I'm always playing, experimenting, and trying new things.
Capt Blah
View Profile
New user
I've managed to say so much with only
14 Posts

Profile of Capt Blah
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 05:03, geekofspades wrote:
I actually was pondering if he is really serious or just a really serious troll.

As for a fun attitude, I've always had it that when I'm performing I sometimes forget all bout performing and end up just making everybody laugh.

I've always had this attitude to just enjoy what I do, and make sure the spectator or subject is enjoying my mentalism. And as long as we both enjy things, nothing is gonna go wrong.

Cool - sounds like you're a natural born entertainer!

Best of luck!
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
If street hypnosis is really the same as that dreadful street magic nonsense where you accost passers by and insist of boring them with card tricks then I really cannot approve of it. When I was young and foolish I used to do this but with a major difference. I would never approach people to do it. That puts you in a position of weakness. Instead I would inveigle them to approach me instead. A far better approach.

There are ways you can do that with magic. I cannot possibly see how you can do it with hypnosis. Please enlighten me.

Please inform me how you approach someone in the first place without them thinking you are a pan handler or a demented person who has just escaped from a locked psychiatric ward?

David Blaine could get away with this street magic tommyrot because he had a camera crew with him so people could figure out what was going on. How do you do this on your own without a camera crew in tow?
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
These days, when I do roving entertainment at festivals and events, I'm usually advertised in the programme or people are expecting to be approached.

However, you're right, it's much better to have them approach you and there are various ways to set up that scenario.
We can learn a lesson or two from street entertainers doing "circle shows" or readers with signs and booths.

Anyway, it's only really an issue with the first volunteer, after that, the crowd (including potential volunteers) builds.
I can't speak for Anthony but I cover all this in my training as Jonathan/geekofspades will discover.

Reg

Quote:
On 2011-07-25 21:22, Mark Lewis wrote:
I would never approach people to do it. That puts you in a position of weakness. Instead I would inveigle them to approach me instead. A far better approach.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Unfortunately, I can assure you that Mark did release those videos back in 1998, and I can also assure you that were actually quite ground breaking for the day. They have information and secrets of hypnosis in them, that I still havent seen released in any other training material sets. I still have a set of them that I traded a Magic Paddle away for. Smile

As much as it makes me throw up in my mouth saying this - you can learn a lot from Mark if you read between his lines. I did.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I do thank RSD for his endorsement but I must assure everyone he did not learn his X-rated material from me. That was his own disgraceful idea and I take no responsibility for it. I am psychic reverend and holy man of the cloth and cannot possibly approve of it.

However, he did indeed learn to become a stage hypnotist from my tapes and use the techniques therein. Furthermore he has made a very good living ever since from it and I am happy that I was able to have a hand in it.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2011-07-26 02:28, RSD wrote:
Unfortunately, I can assure you that Mark did release those videos back in 1998, and I can also assure you that were actually quite ground breaking for the day. They have information and secrets of hypnosis in them, that I still havent seen released in any other training material sets. I still have a set of them that I traded a Magic Paddle away for. Smile

You sound fairly hypnotised to me. Unless you can mention just one 'ground breaking discovery that you still haven't seen released in any other training material'. Forget the farting noises. Lots of guys his age can do that on command.
I'm assuming you're in a cave somewhere in the mountains of Peru am I right? How's Shirley?

Quote:
As much as it makes me throw up in my mouth saying this - you can learn a lot from Mark if you read between his lines. I did.

The throwing up in your mouth we can live with. But the spaces between these lines of his must be the width nof the Missisipi (spelling's not important in The Café) to get anything coherent in there. Or maybe you can tell us one thing you learned?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Well, he learned to make a living out of it and that isn't too bad for a start. Still, I shall let him speak for himself.
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Quote:
If street hypnosis is really the same as that dreadful street magic nonsense where you accost passers by and insist of boring them with card tricks then I really cannot approve of it. When I was young and foolish I used to do this but with a major difference. I would never approach people to do it. That puts you in a position of weakness. Instead I would inveigle them to approach me instead. A far better approach.

There are ways you can do that with magic. I cannot possibly see how you can do it with hypnosis. Please enlighten me.

Please inform me how you approach someone in the first place without them thinking you are a pan handler or a demented person who has just escaped from a locked psychiatric ward?

David Blaine could get away with this street magic tommyrot because he had a camera crew with him so people could figure out what was going on. How do you do this on your own without a camera crew in tow?

Also, Blaine had a fully equipped editing team to weed out all the less than stellar performances. He only has to get the trick right once no matter how many fluffs.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
Quote:
On 2011-07-22 17:56, geekofspades wrote:
Hello everyone, I've been very interested in Street Hypnosis ever since I started doing mentalism. And now I have Reality is Plastic and Hypnosis Without Trance. And I have a few questions:

1. Would it be possible for a complete newbie like me to hypnotize with what I learned from both?

Hey G.o.S.,

Just some thoughts from a former hypnotherapist here.

It looks like as a performer, you're aiming towards stage hypnosis.

I have two thoughts here

1. As far as initial practice with someone you're comfortable with, you 'may' want to take the pressure off yourself about whether you can 'HYPNOTIZE' and just get someone into a deeply relaxed state and then bringing them out comfortably then adding from there as your confidence and comfort grow. Stage/Street Hypnosis takes balls, and this may be a way to build them.

2. As a performer, you already have a good sized pair and you're already used to using tone of voice and subtle persuasion, so with the knowledge you've gleaned so far, and the authority you demonstrate with your mentalism skills prior, I say go for it. I'm sure you've experienced a learning curve in your mentalism performances, and you're likely to go through a faster one here based on that.

Best to you!
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
snm
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of snm
Quote:

Mark,

Street hypnosis in my opinion can be fairly off putting done in the way of most street magic. However, hanging out in a pub, mentioning in conversation with someone that you are a hypnotist, and then doing some with that person if they are interested, is an elegant way to get started.

After, that you've got a group of people approaching you with everyone wanting to be hypnotised. I've performed a hypnosis show in a busking style. I'm not one to approach people asking if I can hypnotise them, as I find that very distasteful and tacky. Just my thoughts on the subject. Perhaps we should rename it impromptu hypnosis. That seems to fit the bill a bit better.

Best Regards,

SNM
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10216 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Would someone from your side of the pond please (seriously) explain the appeal of trying to perform hypnosis in a pub or bar setting? I would think this is a terrible place to attempt to perform hypnosis with all the conversations, t.v., jukeboxes or recorded music, of course drinking, and a variety of other distractions, this seems like a less than optimal setting for hypnosis, yet many of you, especially beginners, use this trying performance environment to start.

I've been listening ti this for a while now, so I'm hoping someone can give me a legitimate perspective or insight into this and as to why? thanks.
snm
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of snm
Mindpro,

I do find it a less than ideal location. However, it's a great guerilla marketing tactic. Absolutely no cost on my part and I can promote my services or upcoming performances right then and there.

As for beginners, it's a place for them to practice. We all know family and friends typically aren't the best subjects. So, they've got to get out somewhere to find people to practice with. This is what I had to do at first anyway. I'm curious as to how others got practiced before they started professionally.

Best Regards,

SNM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » A Few Questions to Veteran Hypnotists (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL