The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Policing the bizarre community... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
As th bizarre community is a smallish one within the magic world and I have found the members to be supportive of the art, I was very shocked to find that one of our own had placed a copy of The Mystic Menagerie on a download site!

Luckily, we were able to identify the guilty person and take the relevant action, but it has astonished me somewhat as the MM is a niche Market magazine which is fuelled by the love of the art.

I advise any of you with publications available to check out google now and again as some members of our small community are not as nice as they may seem...
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
895 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
Freddie is right, ok there was only 17 downloads BUT that's not the point. As a victim of intellectual property theft (I've been told that the CSI copy being sold in China is one of the best selling effects at the moment! Am I pig sick or what!?) there are a few steps you can take to keep an eye on your books etc.

- Open a gmail account and use Google Alerts, type in the alert you want i.e. if I was Paul Voodini I would type 'Paranormal Entertainer' for example. Every day I will then get an e-mail from google showing me all the sites that 'Paranormal Entertainer' shows up on. It will only show new sites so you don't get a massive list everyday. I use this for all of my effects, name etc to keep an eye on who is saying what and uploading my work to file sharing sites. It one gets flagged up I report it and it gets removed.

It's a pain but it works.....
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'm shocked and appalled by this!!!!

I hope the name of this person has been passed on to other dealers so they can decide whether or not to continue supplying them.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
We are deciding at the moment whether to name and shame them, but have given them a chance to respond first. I am really shocked and disgusted by this as, in the whole, the bizarre community is a great group of kindred spirits who support each other.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Which issue was it?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
This is appalling that someone has done this. I will open a gmail account myself to try to keep on eye on my own work.
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
It was issue 2.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I am glad you were at least able to find out who was the guilty party.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3871 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I honestly think that it COULD work. Piracy is totally out of control in the magic market -- and to a large extent in the broad mentalist market. But I would be prepared to support a similar initiative in the Bizarre market. Great idea.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I think we could start an initiative where if anyone finds any material on a download or torrent site, we inform the author(s) and the person responsible is put on a blacklist so people can decide whether they wish to sell to them I'm future.
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
It's a pity; from my own point of view, I'd be happy to have my material lent to a friend - maybe even share a pdf, but the indiscriminate sharing on a torrent site is just lousy. It's also breaking even the most fundamental code of exposure, as I'm sure many the curious reader will look...
He/She should think on!
[
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 11:03, docsteve wrote:
It's a pity; from my own point of view, I'd be happy to have my material lent to a friend - maybe even share a pdf, but the indiscriminate sharing on a torrent site is just lousy. It's also breaking even the most fundamental code of exposure, as I'm sure many the curious reader will look...
He/She should think on!

IMAO, There is way too much easy exposure of magic secrets to those who really don't want to learn magic to perform it. It took me a long time to be able to find a source to even buy some of the stuff I do, but then, magic secrets were kept better years ago. Probably, a lot of the exposure isn't even done by performing magicians but by others who are curious and want to show how much they know to feed an ego. I agree with you Doc, most of us wouldn't mind our stuff being loaned to a friend or shared with another magician but to put it on a public download is just bad manners and inconsiderate of the art....

To show my support, give me the name and I will film their embalming and put it on a public download. After all, on the embalming table not even Victoria has any secrets...
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Lol! It surprises me because our magazine is easy to access to those that want it and deliberately not expensive (some mags charge $15 per issue!)
I'm just perplexed as to this man's motivation...
LebanonCircle
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
895 Posts

Profile of LebanonCircle
It is odd, he has purchased all issues but has only uploaded issue 2, anway the copyright theft wheels have been set in motion and Scribd are investigating - unti I get a response he'll be black listed. Congratulations 'Mr T', you're the first on what I hope will be a very small list!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
There is a saying that "information wants to be free." Unfortunately, some people mistake making ideas free with stealing people's hours of work and creativity. As a victim of intellectual property theft myself, there is little that can be done to prevent it. In my case, people have literally taken the time to scan hundreds of pages and make it illegally available. I've come to the conclusion that many people think if something is in a digital format, it's public domain. As a result, some thieves don't even understand that they're stealing.

So one approach to resolving this is doing frequent checks to see if any of the usual theft sites (you hear me, Scribd?) have your works posted. They'll take it down if you complain. That's what I do.

Some of the less public sharing sites will ignore complaints, but few people know about them.

Another alternative (gulp!) is to give some of your work away. If you sell hard copies of your works, some writers have found that by making digital copies available for free, people will buy the paper copy. It seems counterintuitive, but for some people it has actually increased sales. Some people who have numerous works available will make some available for free and find that the sales of their other works increases.

We live in a new world where the concept of intellectual property is becoming meaningless and we are forced to look for new solutions. I don't know what the answer is, but this horrible experience for you is, unfortunately, just the tip of a monstrous iceberg. Intellectual property theft is a hydra--stop one and a dozen more will pop up. If you have a solution, I hope you'll share it.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2132 Posts

Profile of RCP
Off with his (her) head
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Another option is to use an e-book format that can be password, copy, and computer protected. It's a pain but probably the best solution.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Pleased to say its not this Mr T chaps .In my naieve (?) years I attempted to acess Limewire download site ,only to be greeted with more viruses than you could shake a stick at ....lesson learned rather rapidly ....
Mark
E.O.I
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
The Mr T we refer to is a French gentleman.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 13:10, Lord Freddie wrote:
The Mr T we refer to is a French gentleman.

I'm glad you identified him.

Tony (Not a Frenchman)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Policing the bizarre community... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL