The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Drinking Spit, What's next Part 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I was browsing the Café via google looking for some ideas on gross out effects when this thread caught my eye.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

I didn't want to perform necromancy...Oh lets face it, yeah I did but thought better of it, and was curious if these sort of shock effects have become more prevalent or accepted. I know I bought the Dvd geek magic and felt it was very interesting and helped introduce me to "Geek" stuff. However, I sort of felt that everyone in the original thread was thinking like a magician instead of as an entertainer. Having a communal spit cup that the performer drinks from isn't supposed to be magical in the sense that magicians think. I feel it is supposed to be a pure gross out effect that uses magical methodology to achieve it.

I was just wondering how other's felt about that thread?

On another note, I'm shooting to play a clown esque character for a local haunted house this year. I've been pondering potential skits I could do to work the crowd, since it is basically six hours of walk around improv. I want the character to be gross and raunchy, basically think of the dirtiest, blue comedy person and multiply by a factor of gross factor. So far I plan on caring around live feeder crickets maybe eat a few I'm not sure if they are poisonous or not. Have containers of fake poo to fling at people etc. Just gross things like that. I'm also thinking about adding a few of the geek magic effects taught on the dvd, when appropriate. My question is, where can I research more on the subject of geek performers of the sideshow and what are some good resources to research more stunts. Basically I'm looking for, "Further reading" past the shock magic dvds of Mayne and Geek magic of Thomas Medina.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
In embalming school, a guy ate a bar of urinal soap to win the gross out award.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I have heard that urinal soap tastes just like chicken!
:dancing:
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
With a hint of disinfectant.... and salty too....
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
A couple of things to add to this . I am a big Alice Cooper fan...I heard at one of his earlier concerts,he passed around a bucket and the crowd spat in it,and then he drank from it ! I do not know if this is true, maybe he pretended he drank from bucket. I never saw him do this!
I've seen Alice over 35 times through the years! Smile

And,if your going to eat crickets or grasshoppers ...they say remove the legs,because they tickle your throat ! Smile (They Say !) lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3321 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
The only problem is when you drink from a bucket of spit you have to drink it all because it comes out in one big string.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
The above in relation to haunted entertainment is a trend that I find particularly disturbing. There are many actors, including a few that I count among friends, who have gone the "gross out" route to "entertain" a queue or as a part of their inside repertoire. There are some times when this route makes sense. When I teach and when I have written about the subject, I prefer to put it into the context of a series of questions that makes the performer/director/manager/owner ask questions in order to see if this particuar choice is right for both them and their audience.

Where I find it disturbing is where thought it not put into it:

1. It does not fit the character.
2. It does not fit the venue.
3. It creates a health and/or other safety hazard. (The most disturbing that I've seen involved the running of an actor in a wheelchair into a vehicle right of way in front of moving cars.)
4. The site is operating a concession stand and "shock entertainer" is performing within sight of the food area.

There are times that even though there is a gross-out factor, it fits and is entertaining. Unfortunately, most performers do not know that a line exists and are qoing for a gut reaction from the crowd.

Also IMO no different from magic or most of the allied arts.

Chris
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Quote:
On 2011-07-23 18:43, handa wrote:
The above in relation to haunted entertainment is a trend that I find particularly disturbing. There are many actors, including a few that I count among friends, who have gone the "gross out" route to "entertain" a queue or as a part of their inside repertoire...

Where I find it disturbing is where thought it not put into it:

1. It does not fit the character.
2. It does not fit the venue.
3. It creates a health and/or other safety hazard. (The most disturbing that I've seen involved the running of an actor in a wheelchair into a vehicle right of way in front of moving cars.)
4. The site is operating a concession stand and "shock entertainer" is performing within sight of the food area.

Fortunately I'm very sensitive about the material I do and have been given set guidelines in creating this character. No religion themes, no swearing, no touching, etc. You know how it is. Number one was my biggest concern in the beginning, and it still isn't one hundred percent, nothing ever is until opening night with a second year haunt lol. Concerns three and four are just out of taste for me personally. People are paying good money for over priced concessions, I want them to enjoy it...then puke it out later while getting scared in the haunt. Smile Safety is number one at this haunt, we as icon characters can not leave a certain alleyway, where the que is, because we don't want to chase people out onto the streets.

The thing about spit is...I'm concerned about disease. I'd rather much stick with my white bag full of beef stew, yummy! Oh look, that is a large chunk!
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
I'm glad that you're thinking along these lines. The decisions we make on the front line can make money for the attraction...or cause it to lose money. Many performers lose sight of that in the moment or because they put reaction over things that should be a given.

I summed up a lot of the ideas that I teach in the seminars and put them into an article published in FRIGHT TIMES Magazine (Issue #16). Queue has been something that I have taken very seriously and am happy to see performers ask serious questions.

Chris
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Drinking Spit?

I've seen worse in some **** flicks.

Those girls weren't Bizarre Magicians though. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'm not a fan of the majority of geek stuff. Not because I'm squeamish, but because there's no skill involved in doing things like drinking spit (or at least in the audiences mind there's no skill involved). Yes it's disgusting, but then so are most sideshow stunts, but there are those stunts that are skilful too and those that aren't. Anyone can drink stuff, they may not want to but they could.

If I were you I'd seriously consider signing up to one of Harley Newman's sideshow classes and learn from one of the best.

Human blockhead, head flossing, needle through hand (done for real) can all be played to gross people out. But you'll also retain an air of mystery. That "how did you do that" moment still exists.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Drinking Spit, What's next Part 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL