The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What was the toughest thing you had to learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
I was wondering what was the toughest/hardest thing you had to learn when performing Mentalism?

I am not talking about methods, purely performance or character!

Thanks,
Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
powerwords
View Profile
New user
Indonesia
73 Posts

Profile of powerwords
Staying in character even when I'm not performing.
audience management
trying to be entertaining
BE GOOD, if you can't then BE CAREFUL, if it's hard then BE BAD!!!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11784 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 09:53, Euan4 wrote:
I was wondering what was the toughest/hardest thing you had to learn when performing Mentalism?

I am not talking about methods, purely performance or character!

Thanks,
Euan

How about you sir?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
How the audience perceives the differences between Mentalism vs. Magic, expectations and believability. It's quite powerful and you must be able to learn or know how to handle this. Once this had been understood, it becomes an entirely different game.
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 10:21, johncesta wrote:

How about you sir?

Probably so far realising it's all about engaging people and being entertaining more than how you get the end result. Also getting used to approaching people in a walk around setting was tough to first learn!

I have only just started getting paid to perform for people etc, and was just curious if anyone had any good stories when there views on Mentalism changed or learnt something that was tough to digest Smile

I probably should of put the toughest thing I have learnt so far in my original post!

Thanks,
Euan
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3791 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Taking harsh criticism and processing properly.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Calculus. Oh, in MENATLISM. Sorry. I guess it's watching angles when doing peeks.
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2700 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Who I was.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1025 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
In close up, how to establish and control the dynamic between myself and the audience.

On stage, meaningful actions. Misdirection is a different beast on stage, people think close up is "microscopic performance" but really on a stage I found every action and movement is scrutinised a lot more. So everything I do must further my objective and not let the audiences mind......"wander".
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2987 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
It's not about me, it's about my audience.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
To stop thinking like a magician.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
To get over the nerves and just do it!
Rebecca_Harris
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Rebecca_Harris
For me, just finding a character and style that fits me and personality
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18576 Posts

Profile of IAIN
The first thing was 13 steps...when I bought it, I had a quick read through and thought...

"oh...really? well...thats...well...erm...dissapointing..."

despite a couple of years in card magic - my brain still clung to the idea that it might have been full of esoteric, occult like secret signs and demonic forces..

so I put it away for a year and did some more studying and read other books...then when I read it again the year after I was salivating and smiling broadly...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11784 Posts

Profile of John C
That there is in fact a lot to learn. That's what attracts most of us to this discipline. It never ends. I've found most performers haver been programmers or musicians and perhaps still are. These disciplines offer never ending ways to do things, to learn, to link together thoughts, ideas, props etc

IT JUST NEVER ENDS!!!! (sorry)

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 16:24, johncesta wrote:
That there is in fact a lot to learn. That's what attracts most of us to this discipline. It never ends. I've found most performers haver been programmers or musicians and perhaps still are. These disciplines offer never ending ways to do things, to learn, to link together thoughts, ideas, props etc

IT JUST NEVER ENDS!!!! (sorry)

John

I love the fact we always have something new to learn or improve. Means we are always busy!

A lot good answers so far Smile

Thanks,
Euan
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It's not a kid thing anymore.
Erik L.
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
53 Posts

Profile of Erik L.
For me it's developing a character which is something I'm still working on along with figuring out what I can and can't do with said character.
TonyBrand
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago, IL
480 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Being myself and being unique.

When I first began studying/performing mentalism, I unintentionally mimicked other (well known) mentalists instead of developing a character that fell in line with my own personality. This came off as canned and rehearsed. I've made strides since then, but there is always something new to learn or improve upon.

-Tony
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My presentational style is always humourous, and it took me a long time to find a style that allows me to play for laughs and still do serious mentalism. So for many years I considered myself a mentalist, but rarely performed purely mentalism shows.

Now I am happy with my persona. And I get plenty of laughs. Next step is to get the act right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What was the toughest thing you had to learn? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL