The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What was the toughest thing you had to learn? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Some really good answers!

Jim that was a really good post.

Keep them coming if you want people Smile

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The hardest thing for me was to learn my own ever growing limitations. I can't do what I did just a few years ago and had to adjust and restructure everything, eliminating most everything. This was learned the hard way, I won't go into that.

Tony
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 12:03, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The hardest thing for me was to learn my own ever growing limitations. I can't do what I did just a few years ago and had to adjust and restructure everything, eliminating most everything. This was learned the hard way, I won't go into that.

Tony

Thank you for your reply Tony, hope all is well now! Well done for over coming it Smile

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 12:03, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Tony

Or one could look at it as forced intellectual evolution.

I have been blessed with having guys like you as friends.

Have never hung up the phone after one of our conversations
and not had a shard of envy left at not coming up or developed something
you have.

We all cannot be everything or know everything and it is good to have
friends that have had evolved to survive through deliberate effort.
(And having the sense to know it).

Best Wishes & Thanks,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Spending as much time on the script as the technique
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Thank you Euan.

Jim, everytime I get off the phone with you I think, "Wow, he is brilliant!".
Tony Miller
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 15:10, MrWoodrow wrote:
To stop thinking like a magician.

Me too. Looking back I am surprised at how many things I thought were entertaining were mostly "I am challenging you to keep attention on me (ego)."
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
horganpaul
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of horganpaul
Hardest thing I had to do was to stop criticizing myself with a mentalist's eyes.
The audience never look as closely as I imagine. I was my own worst critic for ages.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 09:53, Euan4 wrote:
I was wondering what was the toughest/hardest thing you had to learn when performing Mentalism?

I am not talking about methods, purely performance or character!

Thanks,
Euan

The toughest thing I had to learn was that I'm not a great performer and am much better and happier coming up with material for others.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Remaining grounded.......slipping out of the character...when the show is over and becoming the same person that you always were.
With mentalism , I was losing my humility...especially when others really thought that I was 'blessed'!This was inspite of the usual disclaimers about not posessing any supernatural abilities and that everybody with a little bit of practice could do the same. .....
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2077 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
MY biggest thing to learn (to set the stage, Desert Storm, 1991...I did the BOHT thing from Safwan Papers eBook)
Thinking that "maybe I really CAN do this stuff!!!!" I AM a magician after all...so maybe I am in tune with this mentalism stuff...!") Narrow down one of 500 minds who held the stone.... I got lucky, as I reveal in the book....

(several subsequent trials proved that I could NOT really perform "which-hand" effects 100%, much to my chagrin, so I invented BOHT.....now I do)

I WAS SOOOO ****ED OFF THAT I COULDN'T...THOUGHT I COULD...FOR REAL!

In the interim I've learned that I am NOT real, but can fake reading minds like a son-of-a-bitch.... works for me....

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2567 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
"what was the toughest/hardest thing you had to learn when performing Mentalism?"

In truth it wasn't actually tough or hard in any way but the most pertinent thing I quickly learnt when performing maentalism was that I, and my audiences, are so much happier and entertained with me when I go for a mental magic approach as opposed to any attempt at, what those here would see as, mentalism.

It might have been tough and hard if I wasn't happy with the idea of not being suited to presenting mentalism but as it is mental magic is a much better fit for me to deliver comedy.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2077 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 22:38, mindhunter wrote:
MY biggest thing to learn (to set the stage, Desert Storm, 1991...I did the BOHT thing from Safwan Papers eBook)
Thinking that "maybe I really CAN do this stuff!!!!" I AM a magician after all...so maybe I am in tune with this mentalism stuff...!") Narrow down one of 500 minds who held the stone.... I got lucky, as I reveal in the book....

(several subsequent trials proved that I could NOT really perform "which-hand" effects 100%, much to my chagrin, so I invented BOHT.....now I do)

I WAS SOOOO ****ED OFF THAT I COULDN'T...THOUGHT I COULD...FOR REAL!

In the interim I've learned that I am NOT real, but can fake reading minds like a son-of-a-bitch.... works for me....

Bryn

NOPE, disregard above!
Tonight was SO spot-on I WAS, for a FEW MINUTES, "real" to them, at least.

Jim / JACk, etc., was so spot-on. The back-story MUST be real if you are utilizing one prior to any performances. If yours isn't cool, don't make one up....folks pick up.....

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What was the toughest thing you had to learn? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL