The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » WHISPER by Ken Dyne (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2670 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
There was a rousing discussion about this book up in "Penny for Your Thoughts" a few weeks back. I've not seen any reviews posted yet, though (apart from the blurbs that appear in the ad). Would any purchaser care to share their thoughts? Thanks.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I love it...Smile
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
I loved the book aswell it is not really a routine but more of a concept that once you learn yo could easily adapt to almost any piece in your show.
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
Firstly the add copy, I know that a lot of people complain about little things not being mentioned in add copies to hype the effect. I can definitely state that Kennedy does not do this and goes as close to revealing the method as physically possible, everything that is typed on the page and also themethod video embedded on the site is 100% true. Ken goes on to discuss every detail about the effect about where he got the idea from to its current inception.

Personally I like this approach as th effect itself is very simple however watching it evolve through the pages of the book show the power of the routine and the subtle approaches to heighten the effect ten fold. Whilst I was quiet satisfied with the book at this stage, pleasantly surprised with the other additions which were added to the book, he gives a few variations on effects that appear to use the the Whisper concept however they use more traditional methods. This is great as in my show I like to have a almost palendromic like feel where one half of the show is reflected onto the other. And by having two methods fir similar effects nobody in the audience would be able to reverse engineer either effect.

The guest contributions within this book are definately first class. Some of then are very clever for example Mark Eldson's variation on the effect is brilliant, but a little too much in my opinion. Colin McLeod's variation on the effect takes it to a level which is as bold as you can get and would work very well on a large stage but in a more intimate environment it would be a huge problem. On the flip side Patrick Redford elevates Colin's method to awhole other level. The is also a method discussed in which the method is completely hidden.

Whilst the first half of the book is primarily around the idea you will bw using the this as a book test, it really is just the tip of the iceberg relating to this concept. As the book goes on there are book tests, design dupes even a ACAAN. I have had so much fun with this idea the only real draw back is that I wasn't sure if I was where it should go in my show.

Th only real negative thing I can say about this product is the price, it is not a bad thing and I while whole heartedly understand why Kennedy placed a high price on the book. Do I think its value for money yes I do, do I think there are better things I could spent the same amount of money on yes I do. The thing is there is always something better value for money, however the real decisions whether it is something you will find value in this book is up to you.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
David, thank you for such an in depth, honest review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed Whisper.

Please let me know where you take it and what you do with it, as you say it's versatility is what is exciting about the concept.

Cheers man!
- K
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
Something I have been playing with is Annemann's A Question and a Answer.

Revealing cards, words or pictures are interesting to spectators, however I do not believe that there are better demonstrations for the whisper concept. The way I present it is almost as a second thought I do the move from AQATA, pause and look at the person who is 'safely holding the question' and inform them that they are going to do this effect. They are already involved in the effect as it is and when you openly tell everyone that the person holding the billet is going to determine the question and the answer, I believe it is a real ability that the audience would rather to have.

With this effect you normally have two or three moments, the first is the entertainment side of determining the question the second is giving the person the answer. This is more personal and is the real strength of the effect finally you have the confirmation from the audience member which brings the effect to a close for the audience and also for the audience as a whole.

Ken as you can imagine you can hide the method, is a reveling the question is the smaller part of the effect. It is revealing the answer that is the only part the audience will remember and for the most part that can be summarized by simply stating 'trust your instincts'

I have a few other touches that I would happily discuss in a more private discussion.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Fantastic thinking man, I'll be in touch Smile

takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Can this work in a intimate environment? say parlor with 10 people. Who's contribution or take on this fits smaller crowds? With corporate events were people get together afterwards for dinner or drinks, will they discover the method used to read each others minds when they chat! If this is the wrong place to ask perhaps it should move down stairs or please PM me with an answer Ken
cheerz
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I saw the video-ad on your site Ken. What I'm getting from the video is really just, that you can get a spectator to name a prediction instead of you.
Can you explain why this is so awesome?:)
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Bump
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ken has always been a great contributor to the art. Keep it up Ken! Smile

Decomposed
entermagic
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of entermagic
Recently my friend showed me this effect.
After the performance I tried to give my explanation, believing that he fooled me badly because my explanation
was not so good and the current value of this effect is £200.
Unbelievable!!! My explanation is the same!
Well, now someone who has purchased this effect must tell me why you said that this effect is so incredible?
In my opinion this is the first thing that people think when you perform this effect, but everyone discard
as solution because it is so obvious.
Now everyone say that this is awesome and applaud Ken!!! How it is possible??? This effect in my opinion has no price
because there is no secret. £200.00??? If I would have purchased it, sure I would be very angry, I would ask to give me
back my money!

Unbelievable read all this positive comment!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
I was supposed to have a copy, but...
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Is the limited edition batch sold out?

Regards,
Mike
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Fyi---a copy on eBay right now with the bid at only $107
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » WHISPER by Ken Dyne (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL