The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Search Engine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have trouble using the search engine. Any chance we can have it more user friendly and acurate on what we're searching for?

Thanks for listening!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Chris,

Out of interest, what is it you're after in terms of user-friendliness?

Beetroot
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Chris, the new search engine has been discussed in detail in the announcements forum. I'm sure the answer to your questions can be found here.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......8&44
Where the magic begins
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks Dave!!

Beetroot, I should have said "Dummy friendly" as I'm not too sharp witht he computer!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
It's probably one of those things that once you've had a few successful goes at it'll all make sense.

The reason I asked was because (apart from perhaps cosmetic details) I would have thought it would be difficult to change what is required for input to the search.

The great thing about the search engine at the moment is that it seems to operate much more quickly than before.

Cheers,

Beetroot
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
That was the point of the change. Every little bit helps speed up the response time at the Café.
Where the magic begins
Ricky B
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
172 Posts

Profile of Ricky B
Post deleted by user
Tripwire
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Tripwire
It definitely is improved in terms of keeping the load down on the forum.

The downside is that you now have to do 4 separate searches (to search the entire current dbase) which could before often be effectively done with only a single search.

So, it's nice that the forum is speedier and doesn't bog down, but the tradeoff is we have a search system that asks you to do 4 steps where only one generally sufficed before.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I am having a great deal of difficulty using the new search engine. This should not be taken as a criticism because this low-tech guy had a great deal of difficulty using the old search engine (kept getting zero results).

I still get zero results (when I get results) but more often than not, I keep getting a message to pick more than one option. What the heck does that mean? When I want to search for Invisible Thread (for instance) and I have that in the topic box and I have selected "all forums" and I go with the 3 month period that is showing , what more can I enter as a 2nd option?

Also, the thing I really miss is the search category that listed all the Café members in an alphebetical drop down box in the search engine format. Sometimes I couldn't remember a member's exact name but I could quickly find it via this feature. Now, I'm totally lost and the most practical way I can now find the member's name is to begin surfing various topic forum--hoping to find his name that way. (IMHO, the "Members" URL link seems to be totally useless since it is 270 pages long and not alphabetized but seems to be numbered by date of membership on the Café. As such, it is not practical. No one has the time to surf 270 pages trying to find a particular name.)

That aside, I still think the Magic Café is the best magic site on the Internet. No other site even come close.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Turk, I tried your example and got results. There is a default button click by the date field that says "no time limit". Change that to the button next to the dates and you'll see search results.
To see a list of usernames in alphabeticall order, there is a block just above the date area that says Show posts by username. To the right of that is a clickable text saying Search for usernames. That is the same alphabetical drop down box as the previous search enging. Just click it and enter a partial name or start with A if you want to see all the names alphabetically.
Where the magic begins
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Not related to the search engine, but you can view the memberlist pages in any of four ways. The default is by order of the date they registered. To see them in alphabetical order, click on the column heading "Username". To view them in alphabetical order by their "from" location, click on the column heading "From". To view them in order of number of posts, click on the column heading "Posts".

Granted, the Members pages may not be of much use to the members, but the staff has several uses for them.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Dave and Mary,

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Search Engine » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL