The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tester2006
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of tester2006
I'm surprised I haven't seen a discussion on this yet. It looks like Jay has kicked up his hype machine into full gear. 7 youtube videos but no normal demo of the effect from what I can see. I still don't understand what kind of effects this does. The preorder is 7/28 starting at 4pm Eastern and only open for 8 hours in which you will get 4 bonuses including a second gimmick.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Just looks like a fancy paperclip to me...
Ogre1234
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
92 Posts

Profile of Ogre1234
I don't think it even looks too fancy.

Just sayin'...
shak
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of shak
After bending the Real, I'm going to wait for an actual review.
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
It appears to be an expansion of a trick from BTR.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Hmmm --- hype for the pre-order -- he's really going for it this time.

Still by the sound if it its fantastic --I'd hate to think this was going to be an effect where you slide the paper clip up or down a list of words and the spectator says stop and amazingly the word that is within the window of the paperclip is the one predicted. I mean it surely couldn't just be that with all this hype...could it ?
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I was thinking the same as Ray. It is a useful idea and Jay is very creative so maybe he has come up with some brilliant use for it.

if that indeed is the same prop
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Jay's hype is SO annoying...it's a freaking paperclip.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4201 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It's an expansion on a classic but if I get one thing out of it I'll have gotten my moneys worth. This seems to have many uses that are not as possible with the original....

Fingers crossed it's a quality release. BTR... Was awful.
AndyG
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of AndyG
After my experience with "Bending The Real" and all the hype that went with it, I was very interested to read about this. I watched the latest video last night where he actually shows the Slyder gimmick, and it does seem to me that it is going to be a variation on the gimmick that he explains how to make for the effect on BTR. The effect in question is pretty much the one Ray describes above.
tester2006
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of tester2006
I used to get excited about the hype videos but now they are just getting annoying. I would much rather have the effort made into one quality demo so I can see the effect and not have to worry about preorders and deadlines and getting or not getting bonus effects.
AndyG
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of AndyG
I agree. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews of this one. As I said in my review of the "Bending" DVD, I'm pretty new to all this, so it's interesting to see how much of products on the market is hype and how much is actual substance. The preorder hype for Bending sold it to me on the strength of the extra booklets, which were pretty weak to tell the truth.

I have heard that Mr. Sankey does have some very good DVDs etc, so I suppose it's a matter of sorting the proverbial wheat from the chaff. Either that or it's all just a matter of personal taste.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Jay is very creative. He keeps coming up with more and more ideas for the community. Wonder what his strolling set looks like and what he actually uses?
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Interesting idea,I wouldn't expect it to be more than $15.00.

Mike
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of Joemv
I believe Jay said on his latest YouTube update the price is going to be $40.00.

Joe
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4069 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-27 21:41, Joemv wrote:
I believe Jay said on his latest YouTube update the price is going to be $40.00.

Joe

I really cant see paying $40.00 for 2 flat paperclips,I really liked the potential of this gimmick but not for $40.00.

Mike
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4069 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-27 20:46, Decomposed wrote:
Jay is very creative. He keeps coming up with more and more ideas for the community. Wonder what his strolling set looks like and what he actually uses?

I think it's funny that on every video he says that he uses "this" all the time,his close up set must be hundreds of effects Smile

Mike
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Wow,
After the entire "Bending Me Over...Really" fiasco that I was stupid enough to be a part of, I was pretty much ignoring anything from Sankey. From the threads I have read on the "BABOM", wait a minute, where did those threads go?!...Hmmm...Anyway, that was a disaster of EPIC proportions and now "Slyder". I had not even looked at one frame of the "Sankey Hype Machine" videos about "Slyder". Then I checked out this thread and started saying to myself, "No way, not even Jay would have cajones big enough to release one of the effects from "Bending The Real" just a few short months later as a stand alone release!" So I checked out the videos and I have to tell you, it sure appears to be exactly what he is doing!!! This sure looks like "Remote Control" from "Bending The Real". So, let me get this straight, you are going to release one of the average at best effects from "BTR", one of the few that were not from previous releases that didn't absolutely blow (and not your mind!!!) by itself mere weeks later AND charge $40.00 for it??!! If this is the case, I have now officially lost all respect for Jay Sankey and I used to be a fan. After "BTR", I was a highly annoyed fan but still a fan. After reading how he handled the whole "BABOM" fiasco and the rude and dishonest way the people who got suckered into that one were treated, I was no longer a true fan. If "Slyder" is just "Remote Control" dressed up with a fancy "Roy Kueppers produced" paper clip included that costs MORE than the entire P.O.S. that was "Bending The Real" costs, then I have now lost all respect...period. I guess we will see shortly...

Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2984 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Wonder if we're seeing the result of some late night bet he made with a buddy over an adult beverage or two. Something along the lines of "Man, I could sell sand in Saudi Arabia! I bet I could go to Staples, buy a load of rubber bands, then sell them for $1 each to magicians. I'll tell them they're 'perfect' for their rubber band effects. Oh no, wait... this is even better... I'm the 'Paperclipped' guy, so I'm going to sell them paperclips for $20. Heck, I'll bet you I could sell them for $40." [Friend:] "Hah! You're the MAN, Jay... but I'll believe it when I see it..."

Or maybe this is a great prop with a bunch of interesting handlings on a DVD.

Which Jay Sankey will show up?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
EmersonRodriguez
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of EmersonRodriguez
I recommend you guys to see this video
to understand a little bit more about the history of the effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2-Lj6wC4A

And this to understand
what it is for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZW6jAgok4

Each 'SLYDER' gimmick is hand-made by Roy Kueppers
And comes with a DVD full of routines!
there's no way this to be cheap and should not be so cheap (we have to give more value to magic products!)

This looks like a worker for me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL