The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1280 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 11:48, dmoses wrote:
I'm gonna go against the flow here and suggest that anyone who has used the "traditional" material for these effects (and I sure have) knows exactly the benefits of this product just by looking at it.

$45 is steep no doubt.

But there are a couple of routines what could possibly make this a worthwhile investment.

I'll do it the old-fashioned way, just because I wasted all that time trying to get it right.

d

$45 steep ?

Its a precision made paper clip for gods sakes !!!

They could charge 3 times the amount etc etc etc Smile
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1280 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8U2mCgYa7Y&NR=1

Another interesting demo--- I'm not sure what this one is selling to be honest as it doesn't appear to using any kind of gimmick ?

In fact in card terms it would just appear to be a classic f*rce
keithmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of keithmagic
$40 to sell a "perfect" version of a gimmick others have already published about and released as parts of other tricks is ridiculous. But - hey - if he has buyers... I have made and experimented with the very principle this is - had ZERO problem making the gimmick, having it completely in full view, having it "durable" etc.

Me thinks Jay is either selling ice to eskimo's or hasn't really done much due diligence. It would be VERY interesting to see if he ends up crediting guys like Barry Richardson in this final product. If he isn't done editing yet - maybe he will!

I used to have so much respect for Jay. The days of Sankey Pankey, etc... were AMAZING. INSANELY good material put forth by a great performer. Not sure where he "fell off", but man - this really hurts to watch the hype machine knowing what he once was. It was quite disheartening to listen to his recent Magic Newswire interview. I didn't know if he was trying to "put one over", was really just a depressed/frustrated artist, or was really trying to believe in the various concepts (and their blatant contradictions) he was attempting to share.
Author of "The Festival Entertainer" The Professional Entertainer's Guide to Booking and Working Outdoor Fairs, Festivals, and Events.
Available at http://www.howtobookfestivals.com
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I challenge any one not to make a gimmick up the deows the same job...
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 19:27, Alan Rorrison wrote:
I challenge any one not to make a gimmick up the deows the same job...

What?
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Does*... mate this is in no way new. not one thought in this is new at all
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
710 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I'm done with the hype, he has lost a customer. I won't be buying anymore of his stuff. I'm done.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Un rouded or flat paper claps are available everywhere. Ive not found a stationary shop in scotland yet that dosnt sell them...
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
From bending the real... I'll wait...
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3268 Posts

Profile of takeachance
OK, just playing the devils advocate here, not defending anyone, just thinking aloud. Perhaps there is too much attention on the prop. Maybe its the routine's and creative ideas that you can achieve with a paper clip that's worth the investment. He has put out some clever stuff in the past but sadly also clangers of recent.
Calvin826
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 06:04, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Un rouded or flat paper claps are available everywhere. Ive not found a stationary shop in scotland yet that dosnt sell them...

Interesting- never saw them here in the US, but then again- I'm not a paper clip connoisseur by any stretch.
BTW, Alan- cool performance on P&T Fool Us.
jay sankey
View Profile
V.I.P.
68 Posts

Profile of jay sankey
Hey Guys,
Hope you are all having a great day. Between spending time with my awesome wife Lisa and my two beautiful kids, performing at gigs, working on creative projects (and trying to get to the gym!) it has been a long time since I posted anything on the Café. And unfortunately, it still seems to be, largely, a place where people who -for the most part- have created very little, feel safe to criticize people who have created quite a lot. Stikes me as a strange way to spend your time, and I just don't see how it can be bringing many of you much joy or insight. But hey, 'each to his own' right?

As for 'SLYDER,' response has been OVER THE TOP. Thanks to the many of you who share my excitement about it. We've received HUNDREDS of pre-orders and even though we are no longer including all the bonus stuff, orders are STILL pouring-in. As for the clips themselves, they are most definitely NOT 'ordinary
clips.' Each hand-crafted clip is custom-designed to make the very most of a very versatile and extremely deceptive principle. Second, including 2 booklets, a second hand-crafted clip AND a bonus trick ('Private Property') with the 'SLYDER' pre-orders, all for JUST $40 was a GREAT deal. Killer value. I know it, and the hundreds of excited people who ordered 'SLYDER' know it too.

Thx for reading these words, and if you would like to get in touch with me directly, please send an email to contact@sankeymagic.com. Unlike far too many people in our community, I still personally answer the vast majority of my own emails because I don't take fans of my work for granted. Never have, never will. I sure hope you all have a nice day. Sincerely, Jay
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
1280 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Well I have to say that the second demo with the bill looked pretty ordinary.

You'd virtually stopped the paper clip on the chosen number before your spectator told you to.

Tou then asked the spec to turn their hand over to reveal...er nothing.

Then showed a pen written number scrawled on your own hand.

All the impact of being hit with a wet fish I'm afraid.

You're creativity is something to be hugely admired--- you're quality control around what is really a worthwhile effect to publisg is somewhat lacking though if you don't mind me saying.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Cheers bud... I needed flat paper clips for another effect I had been toying with and found them really easy to get. A lot of the bigger offices favor them as they do not mark the top edge of there documents too much.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
On a side note. Even thought Im not even close to being sold on this product etc. I still respect the fact that jay has taken the time to come on and try and get through some of the questions. ALOT of creators don't even do this so kudos on that
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2476 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Ah good point. I stand corrected
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
17828 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Will this work on foxes and/or badgers?
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1068 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I have no idea what all the hubbub is about, because I think that Jay's newest offering is worth its weight in gold. Without going into any detail, out of respect for those who perform such routines, there are more than a few professional level entertainers who use during their shows (or even close their stand up/stage shows) routines using the principle behind the "Slyder" gimmick.

I'd say the price was too high if the gimmick was mass-produced in some third world country by unskilled workers using shoddy materials. But seeing how these are made of high quality steel by a well-known master craftsman from our close-knit community, to me the price is a bargain even if there weren't any routines included. Personally I'd rather spend a bit more to ensure that the proper quality control measures were taken into account. It's like the old adage goes: pros can't afford cheap props. Kudos to Jay for working out the one subtle (but all important) detail that has always bugged me about using such a gimmick in one of my mentalism routines.

Best,
MJ
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
I hear people talking about how this was on a video in the 90s or so, but really, the idea of the gimmick is rooted (at least) as far back as Anneman. Just for what it's worth. This is way way old. But still fun.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I haven't got a clue why my post was removed, but it's no wonder people constantly rebel against the Café. I was merely calling out an individual who sent me an uninitiated and unnecessary attack in this thread. I don't appreciate being called a mouthpiece. I have my own voice and my own opinions.

A lot of the people here who seem to have issues with Slyder just seem to have issues with Sankey. You may not be a Sankey fan, but I bet if another magician or mentalist released Slyder you might not be so quick to jump on the hater bandwagon. I personally think it looks very useable, and with a booklet of 25 ideas it sounds like you're getting your money's worth. Will I use it? Not likely, as I'm almost strictly cards nowadays, but I see huge potential.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL