The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
This is the gimmick I thought it was way back when I posted on the first page. And I still stand by what I said there, that while the idea may not be new what Jay comes up with surely will be.

Second, Id like to point out that while this looks like an ordinary paperclip, it most certainly isn't. I have seen flat clips, and clips of various sizes etc. But I don't think I have ever seen one quite like this. It has an extra sturdiness thanks to the 16(?) guage steel and will withstand lots more bending and flexing versus and ordinary clips. Its flat to allow you more surface area for dirty work, and the flatness will help as you slide it around the object you attached it to. And lastly, its a bit oversized so you have more, shall I say, leeway with the size of your force object(s).

I have played around with this idea before and never connected the dots to get a paperclip made like this to make this idea just a bit more practical. This is the difference between a pro and a hobbyist. The small nuances that take the idea a bit further and make the job a bit easier are what the hobbyist can never quite appreciate.

I say kudos to Jay and I hope he sells a ton of them.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2984 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 17:51, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Ah good point. I stand corrected

Hmm.. seems that the "point" Alan was responding to was deleted.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13881 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I ordered, and for good reasons, in my own mind.

#1 I love versatility, and the freedom to create many routines with a single prop. And I can see that Slyder has a truck load of possibilities. I loved his "Insider" ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=109&0# ) for that reason, and I think I'm going to be happy with this, too.

I guess I just like the idea of something so small that it takes only an inch of space in your pocket or wallet, yet has a world of possibilities, and is ALWAYS ready to rock on a moment's notice, That is what turned me on to this. Plus, Jay is including TWO Slyders and the bonus material. That's a good deal, to me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 00:46, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 17:51, Alan Rorrison wrote:
Ah good point. I stand corrected

Hmm.. seems that the "point" Alan was responding to was deleted.

My point was about the somewhat aggressive tone of Mr Sankey's original post and since that has been toned down then no harm no foul .
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Has anyone actually SEEN one yet? This product has been thrashed because... of what it might be? Because of marketing hype?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13881 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Probably.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 16:54, mayniac wrote:
Jay's hype is SO annoying...it's a freaking paperclip.

But he is a great salesman. Goes nicely with his mentalism material. Smile
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Well this is a bit ridiculous. 3 pages of Sankey bashing and not a single user review. No one owns this, and yet you're all just slamming the guy's work because of... what? I've been a Sankey fan since I was 14 years old, and own probably 100 products. No, not every single project of his has been gold. But his great projects are SO great, they easily outweigh a few duds along the way.

And more importantly, even if you could get a paperclip to these exacting specifications on your own (which you can't), the $40 you're paying is mostly for the routines themselves. Who's to say that the effects and presentations themselves aren't worth the price? None of you bashers, because you don't own it.

As with anything, if this doesn't look like it's for you, don't buy it! If it does, do so. If you're not sure, wait for legitimate reviews. I'm the first to admit that the hype has become a little absurd, but so what? Sankey is Sankey doing what Sankey does. He's a little absurd. And most of the time, the magic community has reaped the reward for putting up with his absurdity, or rather, because of his absurdity.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I just received mine yesterday. To put this in perspective, I'm generally a kid's performer; the most in-depth I've ever gotten with mentalism was Fearson's Aces and Twisted Sister. But I do want to be a bit more rounded. and this sounded like a good deal, so I went for it. It's not the first Sankey product I've bought, but I generally don't buy a lot of Sankey because I'm not cards and close-up.

In the package: two Slyder gimmicks, a booklet of ideas, the complete "Private Property" trick, Sankey's "Out of My Mind" booklet, and an unannounced free gift. In terms of value for all the items I received, this was well worth it.

The Slyder clip is exactly as Jay has described: bigger, flat wire, dull finish. Like he said, it looks like something you'd pick up off the ground. We're always getting slammed for using something that screams "magic prop!!"; Slyder is *not* going to do that!

One of the greatest values to me (maybe not to you, though), is all the explanations of how Jay thinks through what he does and how he does it. Yes, the use of Slyder is a bit limited to certain applications. Many Sankey products are like this: one-trick gimmicks and decks. Jay does go into some length to give you several different ways you can maneuver within the limited application of the clip. And he gives you some of the small details that really can make a routine work better than just "you thought of this, right?". His energy and excitement bleed through on this (so if someone getting excited about a paper clip bothers you, don't get this!).

No, I haven't actually had a chance to set it up and play with it, much less perform with it, since I just got it yesterday. I'll mess with it more this weekend. Yes, it's got one basic use. But that one use can be applied in several different ways. I'll pick one or three and concentrate on those. It might even be worth getting a couple more of these, just to be ready for different situations.

Ed
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13881 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I ordered as soon as it was released, but mine is yet to arrive. Mailman must be slower in different parts of the country.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13881 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Mine finally arrived today! I'm a happy camper. The booklet has literally dozens of Slyder routines that will keep me busy for a long time, PLUS Jay threw in a bunch of extra goodies!

I am way beyond pleased with what I received.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 22:05, 723sabre wrote:
...(Killer Key is still one of my favorite) ...

I like Killer Key, too. A friend of mine sent Killer Key to Ken deCourcy (now deceased), and Ken said it was similar to something Supreme Magic once sold.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
I believe that was called "Key Kaboodle" or something like that.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3062 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In Sankey's Demo video he tells you and shows you that it is an ordinary paperclip that has been made to exacting standards. He says that the principle it uses is an old one that he has played with before.

He then releases two demos that clearly show the gimmick in use from beginning to end with no cuts.

This is exactly what people are always screaming they want in a demo.

He has every right to be enthusiastic. I hope he sells a million.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18115 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I have them, I was a bit tiddly one night and ordered it...they came, and are fine quality...he states you need to make a couple of small alterations/preparations to the clip(s)...

they are well made, they do the job as advertised...its usage has been around for decades and decades and decades...

the clips have no extra functions compared to a standard one...they just work a bit better...
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Can anyone provide some sources of effects using this gimmick/principle? I know its an old idea but I'm hoping Jay or someone provides some more routines beyond the booklet and 2 youtube effects.

Also, I'd just like to let everyone know I wrote a small complaint to sankey magic because my order only arrived with 1 slyder (supposed to have 2). They apologized and immediately sent me not only the missing slyder, but an extra one as well. GREAT customer service.
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
694 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Once again Michael's post disappears like magic.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 01:52, MeetMagicMike wrote:
In Sankey's Demo video he tells you and shows you that it is an ordinary paperclip that has been made to exacting standards. He says that the principle it uses is an old one that he has played with before.

He then releases two demos that clearly show the gimmick in use from beginning to end with no cuts.

This is exactly what people are always screaming they want in a demo.

He has every right to be enthusiastic. I hope he sells a million.

On the other hand if it sells a million then that says there are a lot of magicians out there who haven't really done a lot of historical research and so are ripe for being re-sold the same old tat under a new name.

But also if it sells a million there are a load of magicians out there who need to be spoon fed the simplest of ideas because they can't come up with it themselves.
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Well, I just now received my Slyder after Jay sent it to me a few times, and it got lost in the mail, I guess. In typical Sankey style, he personally emailed me back and even called me to personally apologize! He then had a courier deliver the package to me the very next day, which was yesterday. As usual, Jay is #1 in my books . . .
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2011-10-13 22:00, theboywonder wrote:
Well, I just now received my Slyder after Jay sent it to me a few times, and it got lost in the mail, I guess. In typical Sankey style, he personally emailed me back and even called me to personally apologize! He then had a courier deliver the package to me the very next day, which was yesterday. As usual, Jay is #1 in my books . . .

Typical Sankey style? It took me a few weeks and a few emails for something I pre-ordered to get sent to me. I just got told to keep waiting and it should show up. When I finally told them to give me a refund or send me another right away they finally sent it. And I requested priority mail since I had waited so long but I guess they didn't feel that was necessary. I guess we have different books...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Jay Sankey's Slyder (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL