We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pinky "tell" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jearnshaw
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jearnshaw
This is probably a duplicate post, but I did some searching for "little finger" and got a LOT of hits. Smile Anyway, I have noticed quite a bit of extended or odd little finger positions in coin routines that sort of yell out "something isn't right" here. (Sort of like a hooked thumb on a card palm.) I have watched very excellent coin technicians that have "odd" little finger positions when manipulating coins. I'm not trying to say anything bad about anyone, just wondering what other magicians think regarding odd finger positions in coin routines? I wonder in performance people don't notice it, or is it just not a big deal? I know I catch myself extending the pinky on a few moves and I really have to work hard at keeping it relaxed and trying to be natural, but then I think there isn't much "natural" to manipulating multiple coins in your hands anyway.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Actually, I mentioned it a while back and no-one seemed to think much about it. I call it the "holding a teacup" look, where the pinkie is curled way up ( un-naturally ) IMO.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2946 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I don't think I've ever noticed anyone doing that.
I j
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's all about being dainty as you try to make your hands look innocent while you fuss with those strange little objects.

congruence.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Crazy glue will cure the problem. Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
If a hand is supposed to be empty any movement should be covered by a larger movement.
Wes
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I remember seeing a suggestion a long time ago on a coin magic instructional DVD (was it on Roth's Expert Coin Magic?) that you consider raising the pinky a bit when classic palming in order to flatten the hand and avoid the "squeezing an orange" look. Of course, it's easy to take a good suggestion too far until it appears a little odd in itself.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
FuManChu
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FuManChu
Mostly these "funny" finger positions go under in the flow of movements of the hand, and specs do not care much about it. Take David Stones one coin routine (btw a wonderful routine!) as example when he goes into cp. Most laymen do not recognise it.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I cannot say as I have ever had this issue, but it reminds me of those performers you see that when they have a coin (or some other object) in CP, they open the fingers with the palm toward them to 'show the hand empty' and then you see it: Thumbs at odd angles, the index and little fingers are straight, the middle finger is terribly bent or hooked and the ring finger is not far behind that...Nothing says 'dead giveaway' more than that.

Keep in mind too that odd finger positions, when holding certain objects in full view for people to see, may be justified on account of making the object more openly visible. It also should not look cramped, but rather, relaxed, as if you are casually putting your hand into that position for that purpose. These can be translated into your natural way of handling objects, which will make it look more natural. Everybody handles things differently, whether it is a coin, a spoon, a card or even a writing instrument. As it has been mentioned previously here, most of this will not be noticed, and if you feel it may be obvious to anyone, then a larger action/movement can be made to cover it up.

Just my observations based on personal experience.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
It could be that for some hands it is necessary for the pinky to purtrude some to stretch the palm out before placing the coin in cp.

When I go into cp I bring the tips of my thumb and index fingers together and I keep the tip of my pinky against the middle phalanx of the ring finger. The tip of my pinky will slide up to the second knuckle thus being lifted a little higher than the others. This is never noticed because the hand is busy while this is going on. So, because of that, the movement of the pinky is covered be the action of the hand. Sometimes it is the action that is needed to make the magic happen. For example, " when I rub on the back of my hand the coin turns to copper." Sometimes it's as simple as turning a coin over, moving it out of the way, or handing it to a spectator, but it's always motivated.
Wes
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Some people have a fused joint in their pinky that can produce that tea time pinky look.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
My thoughts used to go that same route...Now I try not to run if no one is chasing me, even if my manners are showing.

Same goes for the JW coin vanish..As part of a routine, I used to do hand shadows prior to using that move...

Harris
how is your coin magic these days...

ruff ruff said the shadow dog....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
First, Welcome to the Café Jears...Smile

And yes, this has been brought up before but yet again, it's really not such a big deal within the flow of an effect. You might've noticed it (I've noticed it on some of the very best magicians) but I doubt if specs really see that small a moment as anything special to think about within the larger flow of the river, as it were. It's like noticing a bit too much lipstick on a really gorgeous girl - it don't matter. Smile

Practice may not remove the little pinky-tell but it will help create stronger confidence in you that it really don't matter, and it don't once you get down the road a-piece in this stuff to understand the larger picture of it and how it is perceived in totality. Smile At best if a spec is aware enough (most aren't) to see such a "tell" it tells them nothing and at best is filed instantly under "curious" but nothing revealing. Smile And then before they know it they are following you down the road trying to keep up with where you're leading up to in the effect. They rarely can tell you the name of the street or the 3rd car parked on the block from the corner as they follow along. Smile If you happen to come across that odd person that does notice and asks about it, that's a person that misses the bigger picture, not a person you'd want to share a beer with or run into anytime again soon, unless she's a pretty girl. Smile Luckily there are few of these type folks in all the better audiences for our magic. Smile

Again, welcome... Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of cablerock
I have also noticed it from some of the best magicians. I'm glad to say that my CP is pretty natural looking and my pinky doesn't need to curl or bend to keep the coin secure. I don't really think it's that big a deal either way, as long as you are a good performer.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Lmao...I find this...you know, very weird, this whole dainty pinky thing...men are not supposed to be Dainty.
that just goes against the grain...lol, if you want to look dainty, more power to you.

My CP is the opposite and only my thumb cocks a little if at all,
other wise there is no finger adjustment or movement.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey fellas, check this guy out, he's one of the finest close-up men in the world. Look at about the :38 point here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfHaNhBJX......a_player

One can only wish to be as proficient at magic and in this, one of the very best One Coin Routines anywhere, you see that this little flaw don't matter. Guys with stellar classic palms can't do what this guy can do if they practiced every waking hour.  :D Read the posts there, you will find probably not one thing as to that pinky tell. Why? Because in the greater scheme of things it don't matter. And I'm sure he more than knows the correct way to do it, and has probably read the great David Roth's little fix for it but it don't matter, now does it? Smile

Hey, even with the little pinky reflex action there, does this guy have a good/effective classic palm? Because that's all you need really. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Great video! Yeah, that's pretty smooth! This is a good representation of the question in the other thread Smile Can coin magic be amazing? Nuff said, MB! Smile

Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Pinky "tell" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL