The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
I've just been hired to be the opening act for a rock show and I have 15 minutes. I've performed for 100s of people before, but not with only 15 minutes..and not for this type of audience.

I am assuming that I need to do the most visual routines that I have, but would love some suggestions or recommendations if anyone has done this type of venue before.

Thanks

David
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Doing mentalism?
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
That's what they 'hired' me for, but I told them that I might do some 'magic' to open the set. I usually open my magic shows with Anderson's paper tear, but I don't know if that's 'big' enough or fast enough.

I'm thinking of a group psychological force (a la Grey Elephant) and a magic square (based on John Archer's routine).
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Bob...I use your 'tree/car' idea all the time...I would think that that would play.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18805 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you took the booking, then surely you should know what to perform? why take a gig if you're unprepared for it?

maybe I'm misreading something...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

It might. But that might be a very tough crowd. They are there to rock out, not to think.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 16:08, mastermindreader wrote:
It might. But that might be a very tough crowd. They are there to rock out, not to think.

Yeah, I think so ;-)
I agree with Iain, if you have accepted the gig you should know what you want to do.
If you don't know, do any visual magic but not mentalism.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Man that's gonna be tough. I would think that anything short of a stage illusion for a crowd like that is not going to get their attention. Can't imagine mentalism working. Glad I'm not in your shoes!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10615 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Bring plenty of flash paper...

Yikes! Mentalism sounds odd for a rock crowd.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
They called me on my Mentalism line, and I explained what I normally do. They saw my video, so they know what they're getting.

I took the gig, mainly to push my own envelope. As I said in my first post, I've done shows for 100s of people quite successfully, but just not in 15 minutes, and not as an opening act.

I was looking for a little constructive advice (and maybe a little encouragement)
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1026 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
How big is the crowd? stadium? are you 1st on? will they have screens and video cameras? pretty sure jerome finley opened/closed a winter olympic games with 15-20 mins so it can be done.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I think to be pro is understand when you don't fit to the event and explain why, in this case you know what you're talking about you client not.
I know money is money but you client will you rspect far more if you explain why you refuse to do it rather say yes and go to the butcher.
Just my thought anyway.
At last perhaps the gig will works well...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 16:31, drosenbe0813 wrote:
They called me on my Mentalism line, and I explained what I normally do. They saw my video, so they know what they're getting.

I took the gig, mainly to push my own envelope. As I said in my first post, I've done shows for 100s of people quite successfully, but just not in 15 minutes, and not as an opening act.

I was looking for a little constructive advice (and maybe a little encouragement)

I'll help you.

Will give you a call after I have a shower.

When do you have to do this performance?

Best Wishes,

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Okay. Just saying you are booked to open a rock concert doesn't tell me much at all. The show may be workable for mentalism or it may not. So let's get a little more specific so that we can maybe be a bit more helpful.

What kind of venue is this? (A theater? Outdoors? Stadium? High School Gym? Battle of the Bands in a bar? etc. etc.)
What is the seating/standing capacity?
Is there a stage?
Sound requirements and lights.
What kind of rock concert? Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, Oldies? (This is how you figure the crowd demographics.)
Are these name bands or locals?

And anything else that might be helpful.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4257 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Perhaps a chair test, getting people up in the spotlight and on stage...
Or a Russian roulette act, people don't really need to think for that one.
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Matthew Shepherd mentioned on another forum that he's currently opening metal shows with a mentalism act and he put together a set specifically for it to tie into the theme. I don't know how long it is, however. You might want to try and contact him.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Answers (if I have them)

What kind of venue is this? Its a theater, capacity, about 600
What is the seating/standing capacity? capacity, about 600
Is there a stage? yes
Sound requirements and lights. I have to find out...I just booked the show this afternoon.
What kind of rock concert? They list themselves as alternative rock, lo-fi. I've listened to a couple of their songs and it doesn't appear to be 'TAKE IT THE MAN, F##K EVERYTHING" type of stuff. It appears to be closer to 'light rock'
Are these name bands or locals? Their songs have been used in movies and television shows that you would recognize, so they are a name band...but not really famous, thus the relatively small venue.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18805 Posts

Profile of IAIN
What are your ideas so far?
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
It appears you already have a lot of help being offered here, but I just thought I'd chip in anyway as I have done the same (Once very badly.)
When I did it right, I matched the level of excitement in the room, even feigned excitement at being there to see one or other of the bands.
Of course it depends on the genre, demographic etc. However, I have recently watched a couple of videos where the performance wouldn't be out of place before a band.
You have your own material of course and I would never recommend copying anyone else, but these guys seem to have it about right so far as the energy level goes (at least they do in these specific performances)
John Lenahan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDTIUip_u4
Derren Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-Pw5KgE7k
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9830 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
While I agree with everything that's has been said, given the fact that you did accept this, I have a couple of thoughts. first since they booked you off of your demo, is there something on there you can perform or adapt to this situation? There's nothing worse than when a buyer books you based on a demo and then receives nothing you used to sell them or represent themselves.

Secondly, my first thought as Bob mentioned is nothing that will make them have to think. You have to be fun, and win them over quickly.

Next I would use something that can play large, fill the stage and have multiple moments of amazement. One idea I like is to adapt a Sn**k T***f to the rock format or to tie into the band(s) that are performing. Have 5-7 specs write or draw something related to this, collect them, use the means of your choice to discern who created them, provide some type of related "rock" or "party" reading, then return. If you want you can end with the DD.

Also a Confab tailored to this theme and audience could do well if created too play large.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL