The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks for the positive suggestions. A lot of food for thought. I like the idea of involving the songs of the band in a routine.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Not just visual, but also fast! Think of what people see on MTV. Do you think they're going to stand quietly while you set up an effect?

Be very aggro. Start with something visual, stunning, and that requires no audience set-up. Hint: can you do a levitation by the power of your mind?

Take more than 15-20 seconds setting it up and you'll be hounded off stage.

Grab them fast! Blow their eyes out and blow their minds.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Based on the answers you gave, I think the show is very doable. It seems that the crowd may well be significantly more mellow than your typical rock fan.

I'm not sure, though, that I would do a routine based on the band's songs, unless it's the very last thing you do and it leads directly into their appearance. (Of course, if you do that you're going to step all over your final applause. You will, however, served the function of warming up the audience.)

Start with either a prerecorded introduction or, if there is one, an intro by a professional MC. Your opening music should be brief, fairly loud, and then stop suddenly when you hit center stage. Lights should cut to a spot on you and you should just stand there for a few seconds before making a seemingly off-the-cuff and disarming remark. (Remember the 30 second rule!!) I'd then immediately involve the entire audience in a major effect before doing a single minor effect before going into whatever you decide to use for your finish. Fifteen minutes may seem like a long time, but in a theater filled with 600 people, it is not much time at all. Effects all take a bit longer in proportion to the audience size.

Other than those tips, the rest is pretty much dependent on your performing skills and the particular effects you choose.

But, like I said, the show seems very doable. Just be absolutely sure that the sound and lights are good and be absolutely certain to do a sound check prior to the concert.

Good thoughts and good luck,

Bob
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
As Bob said ... the pre opening and then the opening seconds is the vital bit. Get that right and the rest should fall into place.

If you can.. take your own person to "call" the show. They don't need to actually push buttons or drive the sound desk but they should be in a position to remind the tech guys what you have rehearsed. You probably will not get much time to do a run through and the tech guys will have a million other things on their mind that they believe are far more important than the cannon fodder opening act.

But, as others have said ... this can work.

I know what I'd be doing as the opening effect : )
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9830 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Your "Million Dollar Opener"? I'm still waiting for this one...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
We had a good conversation earlier and I think with the suggestions
offered here and his past show experiences things should go well.

I for one commend David, on stepping out to try new things and doing
the research and head work to make it as successful as possible.

Best Wishes,

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Russian roulette with guns.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Thanks again for all the help...i'll let you know how it went.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9830 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, and what you decided to go with in your performance.
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
472 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Good Luck!
I know you'll have a good show!
Keep us posted!

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18805 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Chair prediction - but framed as a rock band...who takes what place amongst the band set up...

instead of numbers/colours as most are done...

guitar / bass / singer / drummer / keyboards
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
613 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Right, I have some experience in this field. In 2007 and 2008 I had a lot of calls from people who were putting on alternative music festival and rock club nights. Nearly all of them wanted me to be the warm-up act.

I took the gigs and went on with my regular stage material AND in my regular smart suit. Basically, I got eaten alive. The patter was wrong AND the look was wrong. As soon as I stepped on the stage I started to get heckled pretty badly for being in a suit. It also didn't help that I had quite verbal openings before getting to the effect proper.

There was a part of me that wanted to run away and never do a gig like that again because by the end of it I was being heckled off stage. However, I had committed to a number of dates and didn't want to leave the organisers in a lurch and welch on my deal. So I changed my style to fit in with the 'scene'. Bearing in mind that I am normally very sharply dressed in fine suits here is what happened...I had a make-under!

NO LAUGHING!

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/PaulBrook_01032008.jpg

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/PaulBrook_27072008.jpg

As you can see, I am dressed in dark coloured jeans, am wearing a dark coloured short sleeved top, leather bracelets, a top hat with welding goggles on the front, and yes, I am wearing black nail varnish and mascara, and large imitation flesh tunnel earings. This look was created by someone in the alternative rock scene at the time and was contemporary.

When I took to the stage the second time I got whistles, hollers and lots of applause...I was 'one of them'.

I had reduced my pseudo-patter in half, and the material was starting to work better. But was told that there was still "too much talking".

The next show I stripped everything but the bare essentials out and the effects got a much better reaction. I asked a few people what they thought and they told me I was still a little 'stiff'. Therefore, for the next performance I included words from that particular subculture and also used more casual language and slang (still scripted though) and even some swear words (ommmmm I'm tellin mom)!

Now the show was cooking on fire. The effects AND my persona were getting great reactions.

The last thing I changed was to include the bands name for the very last effect. This produced a great ending and lead in for the band...which is why the crowd is there in the first place.

Even though I created a winning formula for myself, I found these gigs to be infrequent and lower paying than corporate and private work. But don't let that stop you, I had great fun, and once the crowd is with you, you will have a blast on stage.

I hope that something there helps you to make a connection with the crowd you have been booked to perform.

Cheers,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

He Knows Shop - All of my mentalism books, PDFs and props Smile

NEW - Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

Ask Paul Podcast A mentalism and magic podcast where you control the content Smile
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
David-

I love the Archer magic square routine, but I predict that if you do it for a show like this, you will die a miserable onstage death. Math at a rock show?? If you're looking for fast, how about Tossed-Out Deck? That's a nice, fast-paced opener. Start with that, maybe a quick n*** w***** routine, a strong finish, and you're out of there in one piece.

BTW, where's the gig? PM me- I'd love to come see it!

Terry
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
613 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Right, I have some experience in this field. In 2007 and 2008 I had a lot of calls from people who were putting on alternative music festival and rock club nights. Nearly all of them wanted me to be the warm-up act.

I took the gigs and went on with my regular stage material AND in my regular smart suit. Basically, I got eaten alive. The patter was wrong AND the look was wrong. As soon as I stepped on the stage I started to get heckled pretty badly for being in a suit. It also didn't help that I had quite verbal openings before getting to the effect proper.

There was a part of me that wanted to run away and never do a gig like that again because by the end of it I was being heckled off stage. However, I had committed to a number of dates and didn't want to leave the organisers in a lurch and welch on my deal. So I changed my style to fit in with the 'scene'. Bearing in mind that I am normally very sharply dressed in fine suits here is what happened...I had a make-under!

NO LAUGHING!

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/PaulBrook_01032008.jpg

http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/PaulBrook_27072008.jpg

As you can see, I am dressed in dark coloured jeans, am wearing a dark coloured short sleeved top, leather bracelets, a top hat with welding goggles on the front, and yes, I am wearing black nail varnish and mascara, and large imitation flesh tunnel earings. This look was created by someone in the alternative rock scene at the time and was contemporary.

When I took to the stage the second time I got whistles, hollers and lots of applause...I was 'one of them'.

I had reduced my pseudo-patter in half, and the material was starting to work better. But was told that there was still "too much talking".

The next show I stripped everything but the bare essentials out and the effects got a much better reaction. I asked a few people what they thought and they told me I was still a little 'stiff'. Therefore, for the next performance I included words from that particular subculture and also used more casual language and slang (still scripted though) and even some swear words (ommmmm I'm tellin mom)!

Now the show was cooking on fire. The effects AND my persona were getting great reactions.

The last thing I changed was to include the bands name for the very last effect. This produced a great ending and lead in for the band...which is why the crowd is there in the first place.

Even though I created a winning formula for myself, I found these gigs to be infrequent and lower paying than corporate and private work. But don't let that stop you, I had great fun, and once the crowd is with you, you will have a blast on stage.

I hope that something there helps you to make a connection with the crowd you have been booked to perform.

Cheers,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

NEW - Certified Mentalism A beautifully illustrated hardback book full of real world mentalism Smile

Ask Paul Podcast A mentalism and magic podcast where you control the content Smile
Biovf
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Biovf
Paul so you've done your usual 'stage' rotine but only made it more to the point, correct?

The fluffy sheep contrasts quite nicely with your looks Smile
Paul Brook
View Profile
Special user
UK
613 Posts

Profile of Paul Brook
Quote:
On 2011-07-28 08:43, Biovf wrote:
Paul so you've done your usual 'stage' rotine but only made it more to the point, correct?

The fluffy sheep contrasts quite nicely with your looks Smile

Yes I did my regular stage effects at the time but cut out virtually all of the presentations.

BTW if you are doing a drawing duplication make sure you make it a 'rock [image drawn]'

In the example of the sheep that the participant had drawn, I drew a 'Rock Sheep' here is the photo that I took at the bar area of what I drew http://www.paulbrook.co.uk/rocksheep.jpg

When I revealed it I said "So you drew a sheep...cute...but I went for a rock sheep!"

As you can see the image I drew looks like a dinosaur, but got an amazing laugh and reaction. Just make sure you write what it is, lest your artistic skills are too ambiguous Smile

Cheers,

-Paul
PAUL BROOK

Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Quote:
On 2011-07-27 17:02, drosenbe0813 wrote:
What kind of rock concert? They list themselves as alternative rock, lo-fi. I've listened to a couple of their songs and it doesn't appear to be 'TAKE IT THE MAN, F##K EVERYTHING" type of stuff. It appears to be closer to 'light rock'
Are these name bands or locals? Their songs have been used in movies and television shows that you would recognize, so they are a name band...but not really famous, thus the relatively small venue.

I went to a concert a couple of weeks ago by a rock band who would match this description.

They had a juggler open up for them, doing a 15 min set. He didn't speak a word throughout the entire set, he made a few mistakes, often dropping his equipment. In spite of that the crowd loved him! They were on his side right from the start and we had a blast watching him. He was getting a huge applause over and over again. I was thinking at the time what it would be like to see a magician open up for them.

My advice is to just let your personality shine through and have some fun with your routines and the audiences will love you! They're not there to watch a magician/mentalist so just entertain them and you'll be fine.

Mr Brooks advice sounds spot on.
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
See if band members will agree to be the subject(s) for some of your "experiments" - some of these guys could take a nap on stage and still get wild applause. Dunno if you can get that level of cooperation, but worth an ask???
Brian
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
The main band isn't going on for another 45-60 minutes...There's going to be a warm up band after me. So I doubt that they would be willing to participate.
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
I've got loads of experience doing mentalism for these kinds of audiences, I perform at goth/fetish/metal clubs and events almost exclusively. I've found that the key is to keep it really simple direct, short and sharp routines. Anything with an implied element of danger is cool - Russian roulettes (as someone mentioned before) go down really well!

Rather than long drawn out presentations, replace it for banter and be seen to be having a laugh, a bit of risque humour and language is generally well received and if you look as sexy as the Brookster in black nails, go for it!

If you are going to dress a bit different to your usual attire to fit in with the crowd, try not to go to OTT otherwise you'll look really out of place and like your taking the p*ss a bit!

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypic......2872.jpg

Just be casual and comfortable!

Would love to hear how you got on!

DC
Producer // PenguinMagic.com

My new book :: Astral Psychometry. Modern Mystical Mentalism.
Magic Cafe members get 20% off - Use code MAGICCAFE at checkout!

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL