The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
EldonFowler
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of EldonFowler
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 06:54, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:
I perform at goth/fetish/metal clubs and events almost exclusively.

Goth/fetish/metal?

That sounds....different!
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
Meaning Goth events, Fetish events and Metal events, though the former two often cross over, the latter doesn't as much!

It's a fun scene, and someone's gotta do it! Smile haha!

DC
Producer // PenguinMagic.com

My new book :: Astral Psychometry. Modern Mystical Mentalism.
Magic Cafe members get 20% off - Use code MAGICCAFE at checkout!

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1871 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Great market niche Dee!
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
If you bend your first finger back, you can make it look like you're taking your thumb off with your other hand. It looks pretty good from most angles, but you'll have to practice in a mirror first. Makes a good closer as it freaks them out.

Also, you can get down and do my shadow coin routine - it's real cool, but you'll need a she*l coin. (I can't go much more into it without giving away the gimmick.) Talk louder for those in back as your head is usually down for this one.

Kidding.

Lots of fantastic advice here, keep us posted and good luck. Smile
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Ok...i did the gig...and it worked out really well. My wife (my worst critic, who will tell me to my face if I stunk) said that I was very entertaining) Thanks for all the support and suggestions.

The best suggestion that I got from several of my local friends, and I took, was to stick with exactly what I know, not to try anything 'new' just for this gig.

The venue was very different from what I imagined. When they said it would hold 650 people, I imagined a fairly large auditorium. What I got was a 'Rock club', with a relatively small room, with no seats. I guess you can fit a lot more people in when they're standing.

One of the things that I put in my favor, was that I brought my own professional quality wireless headset mic. They only had wired mics. This gave me 2 benefits: a) I was used to working with my own mic b) I immediately showed the venue people that I was a professional, and they treated me as such.

The biggest surprise was that the stage was totally taken up with the band's equipment...none of it could be 'touched'. I asked where the other warm up acts like me had performed, and was told that they performed on the audience floor, so I said that was fine with me. They taped out a performance area, and security moved the people when I got started. The only issue was that I'm sure the people beyond the first 3 rows of people really couldn't see what was going on. It made my show a lot more intimate than I thought it was going to be. I could interact with the audience instead of being above them on a high stage.

I went on about 80 minutes before the main act, so there were only about 150 people there. Once I started and my first couple of jokes actually got laughs, I was off and running....literally. I raced through what would have been 30 minutes of material in 15, but everything worked, except, in my nervousness, I forgot to 'not' do one section of a routine, which made me go over by about 3 minutes.

FYI, my set was this:
Anderson Paper Tear – a fast visual wow trick that got their attention
Osterlind’s bank night
A version of Bob Cassidy’s book test
4th dimensional telepathy

I probably could have cut either bank night or the book test, but I was afraid that if I did my usual versions, I would not hold the audience. In retrospect, I should have just done the book test, which is very effective, but I liked the money incentive of bank night.

It was an experience. Now that I’ve done it, I’m looking forward to my next one!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9684 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Glad to hear it went well and was also a learning experience for you, great job.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
As am I.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Glad it went well, but I hope you learned a very important lesson - never ASSUME what the venue is. You went in prepared to work a 650 seat theater and ended up on a dance floor surrounded by standing patrons. Fortunately you chose material that worked under those conditions.

Always scope out a venue prior to working it.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Bob,

Does that not happen to all of us.

The problem comes with how we deal with it mentaly.

Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
Re: the venue, I actually thought about going to see it the night before the gig, but honestly, my fee was very little (less than 1/2 of what I usually get for a gig) but, from their point of view, it was only 15 minutes. For the same reason that it was not financially worth it for me to build a custom routine for gig, it was just not worth the 2 hours that it would have taken to go the venue to scope it out. I asked as many questions as I could (e.g. I knew that there were no seats, but I expected a larger hall)

I arrived much earlier that I normally do, to do the sound check and scope the venue, and brought a lot of material with me as backups.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Nowadays I've often been able to check out most public venues on the internet when it is not practicable for me to visit the place in advance.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
714 Posts

Profile of david12345
Glad you " rocked " it! I have just one thought and since I still consider myself to be in my infancy stage of developing and learning I don't generally offer too much of my opinion, but a I too can relate to trying a new unexplored venue so I empathized. Regardless of the pay you still want to give your best performance and treat every show like a million dollar one. Your name and reputation are always at stake plus you never know who will be there. So if you could have scoped the place out the amount of pay should not have made your decision.
Maybe I'm off, IMHO.

David
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
Well done! I knew you'd go down well.

I hope you enjoyed watching the band too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 15 minute warmup act for rock show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL