The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » hollingworth stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joebob
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of joebob
Hi, I was wondering how hard Hollingworth's Reformation and Waving the Aces were? Smile
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
Waving the aces is hard, but not as hard as the Reformation. The biggest problem with the Reformation is that you have to read it in print (about 40 pages).

There are also a lot of subtle moves in it that you really have to sell.

As for Waving, it is difficult because it is a feel thing. What I mean is that it is something you have to practice until you get a real feel for it.

Waving the Aces is a fantastic effect. If you like how it looks, there is no reason not to learn it. I can't say it is easy, but it starts to come quicker and quicker. It also really helps if you know someone who is good at it.
joebob
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of joebob
Thanks!
Anyone else have any imput? Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Waving the aces is easier if you use the version in quartet with the quartet gimmick
(this is the version Hollingworth actually uses in most performances) it took me about 30 mins if that, to get it off patt. obviously longer for performance in my shows.

Reformation is harder, I perform my own version which is a little easier, has some better displays, the final section restores in their hands (I have tried both methods for the final bit and in their hands gets the strongest reaction) and unlike Wagners handling leaves you completely clean at the climax
It incorparates some of Hollingworths ideas, Wagners last bit in the hand idea and some of my own.
I might include it in future Lectures but to be honest I do not have the writing skills to put it in print
phillip
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
I don't know why Hollingworth called it
"waving the aces".
He actually suggests you wave kings.
I prefer waving queens.

I have been practicing "waving the aces" for about a month now and am starting to feel pretty confident with it.
I gave my first performance (for anyone other than my mirror) last night for a few close friends.
It received wonderful reactions.

I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking it anywhere outside an informal performance.
But I'm getting pretty comfortable with it and I am so happy that I now have it in my reportoire.
It is one of the finest visual pieces of close up card magic you can find.
Learn it.
Regardless of how long it takes you.
It is worth it.

Stephen
:carrot: Smile Smile Smile
Hello.
Gary Alford
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Gary Alford
Waving the Aces- Fantastic effect. Get his Quartet gimmick to perform it as Hollingworth does. Full instructions with photos supplied along with 9 other routines.
M.P.D.
View Profile
New user
illinois
54 Posts

Profile of M.P.D.
I love these two effects and I use them quite often, many people argue that there are better torn and restored effects and maybe they are right but for me... Reformation is the one I like best. It took me 7 decks of cards to get this one down and I am still refining on a few small things. they are hard, but I feel it is worth the effort. Smile
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Is there a gimmick he uses to change the kings into aces like he did on World's Greatest Magic 3? Smile
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
If you have Drawing Room Deceptions, do NOT overlook the prologue, one of the best tricks in the book is there. ( he tells you that and he is correct).

The Voodoo card is awesome. It won a club contest for me with a Marie Laveau theme.

Good Stuff.

Rolando
magicpirate82
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Northern California
68 Posts

Profile of magicpirate82
I just got Drawing Room Deceptions and have read it through twice now during a flight on a recent trip--and didn't even have a deck of cards in my hand. Hollingworth is incredible!!! The book was enjoyable to read just as a book. And his illustrations are first rate! I'll start working on the effects soon and I agree with Rolando, the Voodoo effect looks first class! I appreciate everyone's comments here....this stuff should keep me busy for a while but appears to be such a worthwhile challenge. I wish more magic books had so much style.

Oh, any suggestions of where to pick up the quartet gimmick? I don't recall his reference to it.

:pirate:
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

I think I asked Gerry Griffin over in your neck of the woods and California Magic in Danville to get me mine.

Rolando
magicpirate82
View Profile
New user
Bay area, Northern California
68 Posts

Profile of magicpirate82
Well what do you know Rolando....I bought the book from Gerry and because I live in Danville, I'm usually in the shop about once every week or so. I'll check with him. Gerry is a prince of a guy and a wonderful card guy! Thanks for the local tip (and from a guy in Atlanta!!!).
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Magic Pirate,

That is funny---- I used to live in the Bay Area whenI worked for KPIX in the 80's.

I visit from time to time and always stop into see Gerry when I can.

Good Luck,
Rolando
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Wasn't there a "voodoo" effect in one of paul harrises AOA books? Is it the same?
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

No this is different--- this involves a torn card, a burned card and a restored, burned card.

r
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » hollingworth stuff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL