The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Name of Book or Short Story?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I've been trying to find the name of a book/short story that I read 30 years ago in school. I have done multiple Google searches and story plot search engines as well. My hopes is that one of you may have read it and recall the name.

This is what I remember of the story line. A nephew is sent to live with his Uncle/Great Uncle and Aunt on a farm. One day a wounded man/soldier arrives and asks the boy to hide him. The boy asks the man/soldier for money or such to keep quiet about the man. The man/soldier gives something of value and the boy hides him in the barn. Later some men/soldiers arrive and tell the boy they are looking for a man/soldier. The boy asks if there is a reward or such and the men/soldiers offer something like $20 and the boy takes the money and tells them that the man/soldier they are looking for is hiding in the barn. The men/soldiers take the man/soldier away for execution or such. The Uncle arrives and see's the men riding off and asks what is what. The boy tells with a manner of pride how he was able to double dip by getting something of value from the hiding man and a reward from his pursuers. The Uncle seeing that his nephew will become a deceitful/evil person tells the boy to dig a grave; which he does and say all of the prayers that he knows. Just as he finishes his last prayer he turns to his Uncle and pleads not to be shot and the Uncle shoots him dead.

Well that is the gist of it. I may be wrong on some things (hence the man/soldier) but that is the story as I remember it.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Sounds Edgar Allan Poe but I don't know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I tried googling "uncle shoots boy story" and all I can find are many thousands of news reports about boys shooting their uncles, being shot by their uncles, or being shot by uncles' rifles that accidentally discharge. I suppose I should post the links in the "What's it gonna take?" thread. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I found the same thing in my searches. I think it took place during the Civil War but not sure. It drives me crazy that I can't find it. Normally I am exceptionally good and finding things on the web. My hope is that one of you also read the story while in school and recalls the name or author.

@Tommy I've read a lot of Poe so I don't think it was him, besides it was not a tale of horror but rather one of morality.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
@Balducci I have been looking for the title for over a year. The "What's it gonna take?" thread renewed my search and is relevant to that thread as well.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm looking for the title or source of a short story myself. Would you mind if I mention it in here?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Not at all...
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Was the author American, European, or other?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
No Tommy, it doesn't sound like Poe at all. Not to me. It's sounds more like something O'Henry would have written. That's where I'd look.

Actually, I've got some time now. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
A bit like the Brothers Grimm to me...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Harsh ending. I thought the Uncle was going to have the boy put the money in the grave to teach him a lesson.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
Sounds like a book I will read when I need cheering up.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I have no idea who the author may be, but I'm assuming American. I do believe it may have taken place during the Civil War but not 100% sure. The story has stuck with me over all these years. It has to do with recognizing a bad seed and responsibility of releasing an evil upon the world. Broadly, it can even compare to the scenario of would you kill Hitler as a child if you could (Time travel analogy).

If any of you guys are looking for a long lost story/book feel free to post it here.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Could it have been something by Stephen King?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I don't think so. It was 30 years ago and it would have resurfaced by now.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
So... the boy pulls a con, and the Uncle commits murder. Am I think only one who thinks this "morality" tale might be a bit skewed?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 12:20, critter wrote:
So... the boy pulls a con, and the Uncle commits murder. Am I think only one who thinks this "morality" tale might be a bit skewed?

Post it under "The Gambling Spot.". Maybe some of them will start flying right.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It was more than just a con. He exploited a vulnerable man and sold him out as soon as there was profit in it. I believe the nephew was sent to the Uncle and Aunt to straighten him out. The Uncle saw the true nature of the boy and decided to prevent him from doing future evil to the world. He does have him say all the prayers that the boy knows in an attempt to cleanse his soul as it was, and when he does shoot the boy it is not done with malice. He doesn't curse the boy or cause undo stress... other than I'm going to shoot you with this here gun.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-07-29 12:20, critter wrote:

Thanks critter, I was wondering if I was going nuts.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well I reckon the Uncle failed then. The boy couldn't learn anything dead. Wonder what this "heroic" Uncle did with the money?
I mean, whatever side of the fence you're on with the death penalty, I'm sure a little boy double dipping doesn't qualify.
Maybe if the Uncle'd had him do the hole digging and then afterwards said "next time you're going in it" he could have scared the boy straight. But just to go straight to "you messed up, gotta' kill ya'." Dude.
Instead of a teacher, the Uncle here is a murderer. Guy doesn't get to teach lessons, he's a murderer, and a child murderer to boot.
That's Tales From the Crypt. It's entertaining as horror, but I wouldn't call it a good morality tale.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Name of Book or Short Story?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL