The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » P & T line up for tonight's show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:08, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Cowell's success was based on his knowledge of "Bygone" TV and how the variety show format would still work, allbeit with a direct marketing ploy to make him rich, i.e. The Phone Vote.

And you don't think that Fool Us is making the variety show format work as well? Seems you want to take away the thing that makes it work!!!
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Louis Lu
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Louis Lu
Which is why we all need to remember: as magicians, our foremost goal is to entertain our audience. Our presentations should make our audience feel a sense of wonder and astonishment, not foolish or conned. The fact that we know a secret should never imply that we are in any way more intelligent or clever than our audience.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
"Fact of the matter is that people like to be fooled, they like to have things exposed to them."

Well they are in for a major disappointment at my show then as I don't go out to fool them/make fools of them and I won't be telling them how it's done either!

I provide entertainment for people who want to be entertained. Not perform for aggressive people out to get their selves noticed.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:14, Louis Lu wrote:
Which is why we all need to remember: as magicians, our foremost goal is to entertain our audience. Our presentations should make our audience feel a sense of wonder and astonishment, not foolish or conned. The fact that we know a secret should never imply that we are in any way more intelligent or clever than our audience.

Exactly! However that is not what this show promotes. That is the whole point.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
No Davit, the point that I am making is in direct response to your post which said - "You might like a show where people just 'entertain us' or some cabaret type variety act where artists and wheeled on in order to do a turn - but that type of show is a relic of decades past".

Relic or not - it still works today.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Wow this has actually turned into an interesting debate rather than the slagathon that it normally turns into.

Well done all!

(and I'm not doing too badly with two very bad eyes. (Eye op last Tuesday!) Vision is over-rated! Smile
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

Yes I could never "See" what all the fuss about Vision was!
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:27, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Yes I could never "See" what all the fuss about Vision was!

If I told you I was reading this through the lid of a pepper pot*, you wouldn't believe me!

* Complicated but the drops I'm on open up the iris to maximum and eyes can't see fine detail like that - So the holes in the pepper pot lid acts as a closed down iris for a week until I get off these drops. (I wish I was making this up! Smile )
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

Wow!
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:20, innercirclewannabe wrote:
No Davit, the point that I am making is in direct response to your post which said - "You might like a show where people just 'entertain us' or some cabaret type variety act where artists and wheeled on in order to do a turn - but that type of show is a relic of decades past".

My point is that such a show is no longer enough on its own. There has to be an angle.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

Well, I will agree to disagree with you on this. If you think that Britains got Talent is anything more than a rehash of a 70's style variety show, well that's where we can't agree.

If the angle you keep referring to is "Phone Vote", well then, I have already made this point.

Anyway, P & T is on in one hour's time.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:53, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 14:20, innercirclewannabe wrote:

My point is that such a show is no longer enough on its own. There has to be an angle.

Then have the cheap and tacky angle where it's a competition with a public phone vote if that is all the mindless TV producers can churn out nowadays, but why does the angle have to be a negative one like this show has.

It seems to be an excuse to justify anything. And in this case the need for an angle does not justify all the negatives I listed above.

And those negatives are not doing any of us any favours. Promoting magicians as something to expose and mentalists to debase. Time spent on a lay forum will shock some here as to how they rate magicians as the lowest of the low and how ruining them is almost a public service for which they deserve praise.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

That was as good as Card Magic gets in my opinion. I am not a card fan, but that was super!
jayder
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
196 Posts

Profile of jayder
Not just a great trick but an excellent performance.Very entertaining.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Wow just back from the lay people's forum that I watch during the show to find out what the real world is doing and they have actually gone to all the trouble of downloading an illegal copy of Colin's DVD and posted the entire workings of his bookless book test.

That is what is happening out in the real world as a direct result of this show. They will stop at nothing to ruin the magician and this show promotes that.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Ah! another Russian roulette / mentalism trick bites the dust.

Time to drop all such routines like a brick!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

I am not surprised to read Shrubsole's last post. I wrote it last week & I will write it again, I will not be sad to see this show end.

I wonder if they called the show "Penn and Teller Entertain us" would that have stopped what Shrubsole just reported.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 16:29, innercirclewannabe wrote:
I am not surprised to read Shrubsole's last post. I wrote it last week & I will write it again, I will not be sad to see this show end.

I wonder if they called the show "Penn and Teller Entertain us" would that have stopped what Shrubsole just reported.

Maybe, maybe not, but it at least it would not make it acceptable or in fact the whole point in watching a magician being to expose them. This show promotes and makes acceptable the nasty aliments of magic.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Now that was a routine of many parts!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1577 Posts

P & T routine should be right up your street Shrubsole. Ross said that it will have you running to your optican!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » P & T line up for tonight's show. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL