We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » P & T line up for tonight's show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1524 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
Vocal minority, blah blah blah (yawn)...
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1576 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
There is a big difference in Curiosity Davit & down right contempt for our Art! Curiosity in itself can be harmless enough, but when you have an added dimension of "People in the know" for whatever reason enjoying exposing the secret, well then, "Our Art" is in trouble in the on-line age!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I have helped many a young magician and pointed them in the right direction. I did noy however just post a full exposure of everything they wanted to know.

If they are wanting to become a magician they will go in the direction I point, if they are just after secrets they don't bother doing anything.

These are people wanting to look cool and sound the big man.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
You should see that site after a Derren Brown special! There is one on there who hates Derren with such venom, I think he should be on a list of people not allowed within a mile of Derren.

And when they can't work out something Derren does, boy do they get very ugly.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 16:21, Shrubsole wrote:
Wow just back from the lay people's forum that I watch during the show to find out what the real world is doing and they have actually gone to all the trouble of downloading an illegal copy of Colin's DVD and posted the entire workings of his bookless book test.

That is what is happening out in the real world as a direct result of this show. They will stop at nothing to ruin the magician and this show promotes that.

Jesus!

On page 66 someone has found a link to the Luke Jermay PDF re I.S***ing and posted that in the thread!
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
I bit of perspective is required. This show has had millions of people watching magic every weekend. How many 1000s of people have had their interest in magic perked? How many are going to get magic sets, buy a trick, do some reading, go and see a local show etc. In the grand scheme of things the negative consequences are negligible. It really doesn't matter that a bunch of over curious TV addicts (that probably never leave their house anyway) are chatting about a method that appeared on the show.

"Our Art" isn't in any sort of trouble at all as a result of this show.

The online age isn't alone in having to contend with the forces of exposure. It's always been that way - at least in any age I've lived through. Before I was even in to magic I remember tricks being exposed at school and college. In fact the thing that got me in to magic initially was probably after some idiot amazed me with an 'in the hand' performance with a coin unique, before going on to expose it to everyone in the room. Nothing new in the talk on digita* spy - there's always people willing to be the big man. But I'm not here defending them. I'm defending my view that Fool Us has been a positive.

You have to ask yourself whether this show has represented a net benefit or detriment to the art? In the grand scheme of things the exposure has been miniscule. The benefits of having millions of people seeing good quality magic and mentalism every Saturday night on the other hand are undoubtedly beneficial.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
I quite liked todays show though
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Shawn Farquhar looked like he was definitely throwing some red herrings out to make it look like a deck switch.

If you look at his prior performance - same effect but simplified - there seems to be FAR less reaching in pockets... in the Canadian "Urban Rush" TV performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFrj8DDM8WE&feature=related

He makes a big deal of mentioning the Jokers and the throw-away cards too - Hmmmm...

It is consistent now that the cardicians that are fooling P&T are throwing an arsenal of herrings at the boys - successfully in many cases Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Re: Davit

Overally I'd agree and say its positive but with negative undertones also taking into account the forum represents a very small number of people who actually go and online and research and talk about the TV show.
The thing is does also show occassionally what I'd call 'bad magic'.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Let's focus on the good side. The show's great.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1576 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I will refer you back to my earlier post Davit when I wrote, why not call it "Penn & Teller Entertain us". Same show without the exposing. Are you of the opinion that this format would not make the viewer who is not already involved - go out and buy a magic set, and let their journey begin from there.
I think this is real perspective.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Such sourness guys - sheesh.

The show is great - good for magic - imperfect. Let it go.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Can someone post links to other parts of the seventh episode ??

thanks in advance:
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 20:10, PsiDroid wrote:
Can someone post links to other parts of the seventh episode ??

thanks in advance:

As of yet there are none - just Shawn's and a repost of the same video.

Use Google Video Search. Adjust it for "last 24 hours" or "last week" - Always works.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Less exposure then the masked mentalist at least.
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
Not a link to the latest episode but see Penn and Teller both(!) speaking about Fool Us at Comic Con 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgND-B_Afc#t=2m15s
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
I will refer you back to my earlier post Davit when I wrote, why not call it "Penn & Teller Entertain us". Same show without the exposing. Are you of the opinion that this format would not make the viewer who is not already involved - go out and buy a magic set, and let their journey begin from there.
I think this is real perspective.

I didn't think I was making myself this difficult to understand. You are comparing what we have to what you would like. What you would like "Pen & Teller Entertain Us" would never get commissioned because we live in 2011. Magic is clearly not the easiest thing to get commissioned - hence why the number of prime time magic shows in the UK in the last decade can be counted on one hand. The show we have is the show we have. That was the one that got pitched and that was the one that was made.

I'm saying the show IS a net benefit to the art. You say it isn't. I think that's daft.

You might not think its ideal. You might be right in saying that a slightly more 1980's straight laced magic show has the potential to work commercially in the UK market. Might. But that's not what we have - so pontificating about it isn't much use.
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 18:38, Shrubsole wrote:
You should see that site after a Derren Brown special! There is one on there who hates Derren with such venom, I think he should be on a list of people not allowed within a mile of Derren.

And when they can't work out something Derren does, boy do they get very ugly.

I saw Derren show 2weeks ago and spent some time with him backstage.
It was sold out, many fans waited for aoutograpahs and he spent 20 min with them
Then we went to drink and everyone liked him.
So this forum didn't effect him, his show or his life.

Lior
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Big Package plus with the Big Trivia, The small Trivia, The puzzles
The First letters, The Celebrities, Subliminal PowerPoint, the VMC lecture
and many more routines [/url]

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2011-07-30 20:28, quicknotist wrote:
Not a link to the latest episode but see Penn and Teller both(!) speaking about Fool Us at Comic Con 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgND-B_Afc#t=2m15s

I think this demonstrates the great respect that P&T had for the performers on the show
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1032 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Deleted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » P & T line up for tonight's show. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL