The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Writing a book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Conjurer
View Profile
New user
Ireland
13 Posts

Profile of Conjurer
Could someone reply with information on writing a magic book, getting a publisher, getting it printed and finally selling it.

I have not written a magic book but I am interested in it and it might come in useful someday.

Also, does anybody know anything about self publishing, if so how would you go about doing it?

Thanks,
Conjurer
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Self publishing? You are using the tool for doing that now. Use a publisher programme. The end result can be run off and spiral bound at Staples.

There is also E-book software available for purchase.

As for getting a publisher, if you are not well known, nobody will be interested in handling it. Nobody wants to lose money.

Paul.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4731 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I would also suggest you read the other topics in this forum...a lot of good information.
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Angelo
View Profile
New user
New York
13 Posts

Profile of Angelo
I have been wanting to write a book for years now. I doubt I will ever get it going. I know what I want to put in it but can I get started? Can I heck! Smile
Please visit my Tenyo website: www.tenyoworld.co.uk and my www.risingcard.com website too.
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
The one thing to know is know where every thing comes from or make dead sure it's yours, or suffer the consequences. Lots of people go out and print stuff with little knowledge and get publicly embarassed. So first is first, research, then break out the pen. Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
Hobart Tasmania Australia
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
This post reads like I came back here about the right time!?
I hope so, I have been trying to improve my timing for years.

I compiled and published Card Monmdor's autobiography as an ebook on CD Rom, then wrote a book of simple magic tricks and it was published (as an electronic book) earlier this year (look, moderators, no plug. I'm slipping).

I am getting more involved in electronic books as time goes on and will try to help with any questions that are posted here or emailed to mcafe@ezyebook.com

I do sell them, so sometimes I may mention some book or service which I am associated with but will try to keep the dealer part of my nature under control.

A few general words about it (I am spending more time on books, especially the electronic kind, than magic at the moment). The only way to write a book is to write.

Still here? Sorry but it's true. The greatest obstacle for authors who want to be published is they talk their book out of their system before they commit it to paper.

You need to have something to share and most of it needs to be based on your own experience. This can include variations and embellishments of other's work but they had better be significant changes and preferably improvements.

This could ramble for at least another 5 lines but I will spare you.

My ebook site will be up by Sunday
http://www.ezyebook.com/

At present only a draft of the homepage is there and the links aren't connected. I am still gathering the free and paid resources.

Good luck. Smile
Have a Magic day
John Williams
http://www.ezymagic.com/
more tricks than you can shake a wand at
subscribe to our free ezine on site
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
You could also try eBookomatic (http://www.ebookomatic.com/ for self-publishing.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-06-02 18:47, Angelo wrote:
I have been wanting to write a book for years now. I doubt I will ever get it going. I know what I want to put in it but can I get started? Can I heck! Smile

If there's one person I'd like to read a book from, it would be you... so do it Angelo! Heck, I'd write it myself for you if you were busy! Smile

--Andi
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
There's no doubt about it, some effects are very difficult to get on paper, but some just seem to flow when you start typing.
Try starting with an effect other than the one you had originally thought of as an opener to the book Angelo.Who said you had to write it in order? You can alter the order of the effects afterwards.

As regards ebookomatic.com, Steve Schneiderman who runs it IS a magician.

Paul.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
I'm not familiar with those e-book packages, but if I can offer a piece of advice, it would be that if it's not a PDF, don't bother doing it. Every other format I've seen has huge problems. Proprietary software, such as what Bob Cassidy initially released his Fundamentals ebooks as (I've since redone the first one for him as a PDF, and am in the process of converting #2) was a proprietary HTML-like reader. Problems were twofold. First, it only ran on Windows machines. Not a good idea. Second, printing didn't always go smoothly. Again, not good.

HTML e-books read fine cross-platform, but they more often than not are a pain to print properly; sometimes words get cut off, or things don't format quite the way they should.

PDF's, on the other hand, are cross-platform, and always print and display onscreen as intended. They're inexpensive to create, and ultra convenient, and most folks already have the Acrobat reader software installed (if not, it's a free download). Why go any other way?
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2128 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Hey – we’d probably all love to write a book.

I read a terrific on-line essay about this over at http://www.online-visions.com – check it out it has great things to day on the topic: http://www.online-visions.com/krystal/0305kenton.html

By Kenton Knepper – his wise words say more than I ever could.

(personally Kenton, if you are reading this, I’m going to wait until I am way old before I ever publish. I want to be a crotchety old revered man – who young magicians are waiting feverishly for me to die so they can steal my routines. Because right now, I am only 34 – what do I know about life? Why publish a novel when you can wait and publish a masterpiece)
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
I have a few comments in regard to Andy's stated preference for ebooks to be in pdf format.
That is the way I prefer them for the reasons he stated BUT ...
In the ebook forums and related areas I spend a lot of time lately, the majority of people who care enough to post, as well as most of those I correspond with have a preference for the .exe type.
These are mostly people who are involved with ebooks as part of their business(es).
There are various reasons put forward and my feeling at this point is that an author must concentrate on is getting their book written.
The form it is published in is not critical.
I have converted some ebooks from one format to the other for people.
Most of the non-magic books I sell are available as pdf but some strong sellers are only available in exe format and the authors and distributors are doing very well indeed.
The main thing that brings sales is the value (real or perceived - hyped) of the content and consistent marketing.
At present I am spending a lot more time with that side of the business but I will have my new magic site at full speed in a week or so.
I will try to visit this Forum more often but will, in the meantime, be happy to try to answer directly by email questions that anyone here wants to email to me;
mcafe@ezyebook.com
Hope there is something helpful in this for some of you (still no parrot)
Have a Magic day
John Williams
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
By doing an e-book in *.exe, you alienate a large portion of your potential audience. Just look how many people were disappointed that they couldn't buy Bob Cassidy's e-books since they were Windows-only. I'm in the middle of converting some of them to PDF for Bob, because he had so many requests for it.

Personally, I don't at all value the opinion of a bunch of e-book "experts"; what matters are the needs and opinions of my customer base, and I've found that the largest customer base wants and can use PDF.

--A
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-09-12 07:41, amagician wrote:
These are mostly people who are involved with ebooks as part of their business(es).
There are various reasons put forward and my feeling at this point is that an author must concentrate on is getting their book written.
The form it is published in is not critical.

I'm no e-book expert, but part of my day job relies on the distribution and creation of electronic documentation for some pretty high profile companies. I also work a lot in the area of usability.

EXE readers are poor when it comes to usability. They can't be considered e-books, but just downloadable websites that are not wrapped in a decent browser. They're ugly to print, and because most are based on Internet Explorer technology anyway, they don't print out very well at all.

PDFs are definatley the way to go for usability. They have thumbnails, bookmarks, are searchable and display beautifully on screen and paper.

--Andi
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
Andy, ebook "experts"? Whaddya mean?
The people I referred to are people who write and sell ebooks, more than me and possibly more than you, I don't know. One ebook business turned over $200,000 last year. I read his story very carefully
I don't see how these people are not worth listening to?
They listen to their customer bases and I am very grateful that they then pass on some of the information.
I will continue to listen to them as well as my customers and continue to sell books in both formats.
I think pdf or something neither of us has yet seen might eventually win out but I won't knock back a good book in exe format.
Have a Magic day
John Williams
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I've been compiling some routines for a possible book. While e-books are definitely cheaper and easier to self-publish, theres just something satisfying about holding a solid tangible book in your hand with your name on it. I think the published authors on this message board will know what I mean.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
As part of my day job, I write & produce documents - any thing from advertising to manuscripts and books. I have to say, despite the reliabilites of a PDF/ E book format, customers prefer having something in their hand. Now, this could well be a CD, but they look guff on the bookshelf, don't they? Most people I deal with prefer a printed product.

But, as has been mentioned previously, you can use a good publishing package, have the book ready and print off/ bind copies as and when needed. A local printer will do this for you no problem.

ML
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
My up coming manuscript on escapes will be sold both PDF and in physical form. Not everyone has progressed to the PDF stage yet on their computer (Yeah no kidding kind of like Twilight Zone meets the Dark Ages). This gives everyone the opportunity to own it. Even if it is just me that owns either/both. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Agreed...I'm more of a hard copy guy myself; on the occasion that I can only get a book as a PDF, first thing I do is print it out.

My comments were just heading that way because that's what everybody seemed to be discussing, so I figured I'd add my two cents on the e-book format question :o)

If you prefer another format to PDF, that's fine. It's just my opinion that I think the other options are inferior, yours and these other publishers' may differ, and that's okay.
amagician
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of amagician
If anyone wants to try publishing their own ebook they can get a free compiler for and .exe type ebook (sorry, Andy) from http://www.jansfreeware.com/
Look for Sbook9. Jan has another one but I can't remember the name and this is the most useful one. It has a pile of features for the price Smile
I still prefer pdf but, whatever way you go, it's the content, not the format, that matters most.
i hope this helps someone get their ideas out in the market-place. Good Luck
Have a Magic day
John Williams
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Let there be magic! » » Writing a book? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL