The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I DID IT! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yep it's true, total success.
I... made butternut squash ravioli from scratch.

I ate it while watching an episode of Masterchef on youtube.

Next on the list:
-Berry Pie
-Broccoli cheddar pot pie
-vegetarian jambalaya
-lasagna
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Did you do it good?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Congratulations!

Was it good? Would you do it again? Would you serve it to guests?

-Mary Mowder
Weisszach
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
70 Posts

Profile of Weisszach
I found cooking/baking about 6 months ago as my wife challenged me to make a cake better then hers. Found that I had a some talent in the kitchen and since then gone mental with baking. I think it is because I was good at chemistry at school, may sound weird but if you think about it it is the same. I make a cracking cherry cake, orange and lemon drizzle cakes but my wife's fave is my Key Lime Pie as we don't get it here in the UK.

Need any tips just ask
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
There is a comic called "Questionable Content." In one strip, one of the women is teaching another (who is a genius w/OCD) the concept of baking. The girl doesn't get it until the women puts it in scientific terms.

WOMAN: Baking is like an experiment. If we succeed, we get cookies as a reward.
HANNERS: ...and if we fail.
WOMAN: We get no cookies.
HANNERS: Baking is science for hungry people!

That line got onto one of a line of t-shirts the creator of the strip sells along with; "She blinded me with library science!" which is one of my faves.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Mr Seadog,

When you say scratch, do you mean that you even made the pasta? If so bravo. Homemade pasta is so much better than anything you can buy from a store and it's not that difficult. Keep that in mind when you get down to the lasagna on your list, and don't forget to invite me over!

Respectfully,

Chef (wanna-be) Phil
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Congratulations on the job well done! What machine did you use to extrude the pasta. I worked in a family Italian restaurant in college where we made all our own pasta every day, and handmade ravs, cans, and las. Those three were the most labor intensive dishes, but the difference in hand made is very clear!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yep, I made the pasta from scratch too, that was fun.

Since I haven't done it before I don't have a machine, I just used a rolling pin. At first I thought it was too thick (although I'm pretty sure it wasn't more 1/8"), but my wife said it was perfect.

I will definitely do it again, I'll be using the rest of the dough tonight and make the left over filling into a soup, but I don't think it would be ready for guests quite right. It's a little difficult for me to tell because apparently I tend to really overcook pasta. I only recently learned that it really does need to be al dente so you get some bite. Keeping that in mind I think it was fine (I polished of quite a decent size portion), but I'll need some outside feedback since it's different from what I'm used to.

Weisszach,
I was inspired by one of the masterchef episodes and (someday) I plan on making a "banana split" layer cake. It might sound a little funny, but my wife and I both exclaimed audibly when we saw the slice. Key lime pie might now be on my list to.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
The biggest problem with pasta is where to put it to dry.

The biggest problem with cooking for you and your partner is you may get something you two LOVE but you have no idea whether any one else will think it tastes good, has the right texture, etc... It's all so subjective.

More power to you for trying seadog93.

Tom, you are a man of many talents.

-Mary Mowder
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Anybody else remember the noodle making scene at the start of Jackie Chan's "Mr. Nice Guy?" That was so cool.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Okay, I made a second batch with my daughter.
I think we were able to make the dough even thinner than the first time. Also, once the raviolis were floating I left them in for an extra minute and they were perfect, still al dente but a bit softer.
Also, with the extra butternut squash filling I added some half-and-half and vegetable broth to make a good soup.

Mary,
your right about different tastes.
I was nervous but I brought a couple of plates upstairs to my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law and her family.
It was a hit Smile

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yea! (Now they'll be wanting it all the time.)

Stay away from Gordon Ramsey.

-Mary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I DID IT! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL