The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You do as I do (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
308 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Dear all

Like many of you, I started with card magic some 25 years back, before discovering mentalism, the ultimate frontier. That rapidly led to a decline in my petforming repertoire of typical sleight of hand card tricks, and card tricks in general. There are a very few card effects in my mentalism repertoire (actually, the only one is Max Maven's brilliant Divine Write). But I was fondly recalling the initial card tricks I learned from Expert Card Technique 25 years back that have a mentalism touch to them, and my favorite is 'You do as I do' (guess I like coincidence type effects too much!).

I wanted to find out from you all if there have been any innovations to this classic effect to give it a more mentalism spin perhaps. Responses greatly appreciated.

PS: for those of you who may have missed it, Expert Card Technique has a wonderful effect titled 'Contrary do as I do'...a hidden gem in my opinion. Do check it out if you get a chance.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My favourite do as I do presentation is in the film MAGIC
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Likewise, Iain. Pure mentalism.
Damon Reinbold
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Damon Reinbold
I agree. It is played for all it is worth and is as pure as you can get. Anthony Hopkins and I played many morning talk shows (him promoting "Magic" and me promoting my hypnosis bit) together. Talking with him in the green room was most fasinating.
Damon Reinbold
<BR>2011 President, S.A.M. Assembly 71
<BR>2011 President, IBM Ring 90
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
554 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Forgive my ignorance: any more hints on this film?

Thanks/Fabio
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I prefer the one deck version from scarne on card tricks.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 10:52, fagani wrote:
Forgive my ignorance: any more hints on this film?

Thanks/Fabio

said in a gentle friendly way...

"c'mon now Fabio...i'm sure you can google the film MAGIC and buy it, it won't cost a lot, you can even find it on youtube..."

though I'd hope no one posts the clip in question, cos then everyone will be doing it...
I've asked to be banned
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree, Iain. Why did we bring this up in the first place?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Dunno Bob...

I'll distract people by talking about another film with mentalism connections instead...

HARLEQUIN - late 70s or early 80s film, Robert Powell as Harlequin, a kids entertainer, but soon reveals he can do a lot more...it is kinda based on the life of Rasputin... very good in places...

random fact - the stones song The Midnight Rambler was about the Boston Strangler, and the police once hired the (in)famous psychic Peter Hurkos to track him down...
I've asked to be banned
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
308 Posts

Profile of asanghi
Thanks guys for all your responses. By the way, Bob, I shoulda mentioned that the one other card effect in my repertoire is your card memory one. Thanks so much for your invaluable contributions to mentalism.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I'm not a mentalist (or even a mental magician), but I would suggest Harry Lorayne's "Automatic Mind-Reading" (originally in Close-up Card Magic and now in the Classic Collection Volume 1) for his take on the Do as I Do effect with a mentalism twist. I've not performed it in the way that he teaches since I'm not a mentalist, but you might just get some good mileage out of it!
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-01 17:15, asanghi wrote:
Thanks guys for all your responses. By the way, Bob, I shoulda mentioned that the one other card effect in my repertoire is your card memory one. Thanks so much for your invaluable contributions to mentalism.

You're welcome!

:)
Fabio P
View Profile
Special user
Rome - ITALY
554 Posts

Profile of Fabio P
Sorru guys, let me clarify my message
Iain, my only request was to know more info on this film (where to buy it, content, etc), no more thsn this
I want it but didn't find any info available on the net

That's all no clips and no steal (that's not my style)
Cheers/Fabio
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
I very much like Patrick Page's 'Continuous Do as I Do' which features in Wayne Dobson's 'Dobson's Choice - Special Effects' book. The pack is shuffled and spectator is given half of the deck and you then both cut your respective halves and hand the top card to each other which you place on the bottom of your packs. Turn the pack over and you have both cut to the same card. This is repeated twice more and then you swap packs, shuffle and repeat the sequence to show that you still have managed to get the same card. Uses a normal pack with minimal set-up. Very clever and puzzling. Also shown and explained on Wayne's "A Life in Magic" DVD.
Martin
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-01 17:56, fagani wrote:
Sorru guys, let me clarify my message
Iain, my only request was to know more info on this film (where to buy it, content, etc), no more thsn this
I want it but didn't find any info available on the net

That's all no clips and no steal (that's not my style)
Cheers/Fabio

Fabio-

We're just joking around. We know you are one of the good guys. You should be able to find the movie at Amazon. Just look for "Magic" with Anthony Hopkins and Ann Margret.

Good thoughts,

Bob
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Another excellent approach is Dr. Jaks "Dream of a Hermit"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mmmmmmmmm.....Ann Margret...
I've asked to be banned
asanghi
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, Russia
308 Posts

Profile of asanghi
PS: here is the link to the movie 'Magic'. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077889/

Also, iwhile we are in that era of films and the like, there's a lovely "Columbo" detective episode ("Now you see him") in which the protagonist played by Jack Cassidy (Bob, any relation?) plays the magician (The Great Santini). Available from Netflix live streaming.

God bless Peter Falk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » You do as I do (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL