The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Egyptian Water Box (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 23:46, Spellbinder wrote:
If you'e not set on continuing the Egyptian theme, consider a "Water Sprite" theme or even a "Lady of the Lake" in which you draw a sword from the box after pouring in the water and "suspending it in the air." Replace the plastic "glass" with a decorative vase "Foo or Lota" gimmicked. Just because it started Egyptian doesn't mean it has to remain so forevermore.

Wow some beautiful examples!

I was creating a routine a few years ago that needed something like an Egyptian Water Box. However, the Egyptian theme would not work for my idea. Plus, I needed the prop to work a little different. So, I decided to build something that would do what I needed it to do, and I painted it to match the theme of my routine. Anyway, the idea is based on the Egyptian Water Box, but I made some changes that would work better for me.

Here are a few pics of it. I call it my Butterfly Box.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......2008.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......3902.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff127......3907.jpg
Mister Mystery
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Nice work Regan!
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-08-08 14:51, wkitwizard wrote:
Nice work Regan!

Thanks! It seems you have a bunch if beautiful Egyptian-themed props! Do you do entire, Egyptian-themed shows?
Mister Mystery
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Regan, I think I remember you posting the butterfly box photos before. It's really a good looking prop!

Ray, I've seen the vinyl cutter designs and they are much more precise than stencils ever could be. Although I have not investigated, I wonder if those personal-use Cricut machines would knock out peel 'n stick vinyl for maybe corner scrolls and simple graphics for smaller boxes. Probably not something I'd use because I typically only build within my niche, but I'd think if the machine had the capabilities, then it would be cool for someone doing some props for themselves.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5007 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Regan, that is a beautiful prop. It walks the thin line of being a traditionally decorated effect with the bright, primary colors, but veers from that line with the elegant butterfly designs. Well done.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Regan, what a great box for a butterfly release at a wedding! http://www.swallowtailfarms.com/
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Michael, Mr. Oz, and Professor.

Michael, you have a great memory! I did post some pictures of this prop a long time back.

Mr. Oz, I used those colors to match the color-scheme of the routine. Everything in the routine that I use in the routine is....or changes to those colors.

Professor, the butterflies are a fabulous idea! I had not thought of doing it, but I will certainly keep it in mind if the opportunity should arise. In fact, my daughter is getting married fairly soon, so I may think about doing it at her wedding. After all, I kind of built the box for a routine that centered around her, so it has special meaning to her (and me) because of that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Mister Mystery
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
127 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
I finally re-finished my box. I wish now that I had taken some "before" photos to compare the finished product too, but I didn't. I decided to keep the color scheme simple, staying with black on the side but changing the front and back to yellow. I spent a long time trying to find stickers or pictures or something to use to evoke the Egyptian theme, but could not find anything. I ended up finding hieroglyphics online, printing them out, cutting them into stencils, then cutting out the shapes on black-printed Avery labels. I stuck the shapes onto the front and back panels and coated them with clear Krylon.

Front

Back
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5718 Posts

Profile of Regan
Very nice!!!! Great job!
Mister Mystery
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You shouldn't write curses like that on your prop; it might offend a pharoah.

Just kidding. Good job.

Has anyone thought of combining the Egyptian Water Box with Sands of the Desert to produce both sand and water for mixing, then vanishing?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
701 Posts

Profile of glowball
Beautiful work!

I too am an Egyptian water box fan and have built several models using 2 inch sides attached at 90 degrees to the front panel going back and attached to the back panel coming forward (these special sides on the front panel greatly help the angles).

These 2 inch wide side panels are outside of the main middle portion. I had to cut 1 inch notches at the top of the main support side panels to accommodate the top edge of the front and back panels when the box is swung open.

I sometimes use a sci-fi theme and Indiana Jones Warehouse storage box theme so sometimes I don't use any fancy finishing just raw plywood with military stenciling "Top Secret".

However, for those boxes with other themes I am jealous of your excellent work, thanks for sharing!
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
701 Posts

Profile of glowball
There is a commercial trick that has a glass with most of the bottom cut out and it has a thin clear plastic shell over the whole glass and they are sitting inside a red can.

The magician pulls the glass out of the red can and sets the glass on the table. The shell is still secretly sitting inside the red can. The magician openly pours water or milk into the red can and then picks up the glass from the table and puts it inside the can and lifts out the shell and the glass together showing the glass has captured the liquid!

Instead of using the can, merely have the shell and the glass inside the Egyptian water box and do the effect with the added feature of flipping the box open before and after pouring the liquid.

I did this at a show one time and a young father came up to me after the show and said "I don't see how this is possible, can you tell me how it was done"! Of course I said something like "Sorry, I can't because the magician's union would kick me out"!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Egyptian Water Box (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL