The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo/Hoodoo movies & books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
This was brought up in the Music thread. Thought it would be best to start another thread to keep the other on topic. Here's what we have so far:

Quote:
On 2011-08-01 16:29, Jon W. wrote:
Skeleton Key is a great one. Have had that one saved on the dvr for awhile. No wonder that was a pleasant surprise for the UK folk as that was definitely a quality movie as far as I'm concerned (despite some bad reviews). I do think that main song on the record they play is creepy too. Will have to relook at the rest of the soundtrack. Can anyone else think of any other good hoodoo or voodoo movies worth checking out? I saw the House on Skull Mountain but thought it was somewhat entertaining but cheesy.

Quote:
On 2011-08-01 18:49, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
"The Skeleton Key" is probably my favorite movie with a voodoo theme. "The Serpent and the Rainbow" is a really good movie but you have to disassociate it from the awesome book it was loosely based on if you've read it or you may be disappointed. I'd also recommend "Angel Heart" and "I Walked With a Zombie".

Quote:
On 2011-08-01 18:56, docsteve wrote:
Sorry, this is so off topic, but angel Heart is both a great novel and a gat film, and both quite different yet worth pursuing.

Serpent & the rainbow is a terrible example of Hollywood interfering; in fact the first half is excellent, and culminates with the most awful buried alive scene that Kill Bill 2 could only pay homage to. The second half was clearly "hey Wes- loved Freddie- can you kind of Freddie it up for the second half".
I've not read the book; read a digest in New Scientist and know about muscle relaxants/paralysis - which reminds me ..."The Exorcist 2" NOVEL anyone?

Thanks docsteve. Never realized "Angel Heart" was a novel, I'll definitely have to check it out. Lots of people didn't care for the Serpent and the Rainbow movie especially after reading the book. I was able to enjoy it since I actually saw the movie first, but you do make a good point about the 2nd half. If you get a chance to read the book I think you would like it.

George
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
Cheers George - good plan, new thread.
Yes, I will read the book and hopefully you will read Angel Heart!

Ps George RR martin's "Fevre Dream" anyone?
[
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Dr. Van van,

Where do you live? I am in Little Rock. I would love to meet up.

Thinking about a trip to Missouri soon.
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I am a huge Bond fan and my favorite is Live and Let Die which has a voodoo theme.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Paul, it would be great to meet up. I sent you a pm.
jaheath
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of jaheath
The '70's grindhouse horror flick "Sugar Hill" has the traditional voodoo zombies being used as weapons to get revenge against the mob.
I do believe it's on Netflix streaming too.
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Can anyone recommend any first-rate books on Voudoun by practitioners? Maya Deren's book and film Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti are essential, anyway. In fiction, Tim Powers's On Stranger Tides (yes, with latterday association with a film) is characteristically great.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
The New Orleans Voodoo Handbook by Kenaz Filan
Voodoo and Hoodoo: The Craft as Revealed by Traditional Practitioners by James Haskins
Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica by Zora Neale Hurston
The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot (Destiny Books) by Louis Martinié and Sallie Ann Glassman
Hoodoo & Conjure Quarterly: A Journal of the Magickal Arts with a Special Focus on New Orleans Voodoo, Hoodoo, Folk Magic and Folklore (Volume 1) by Sharon Marino, Denise Alvarado, Don Alvarado and Karen Miranda Augustine
A Guide to Serving the Seven African Powers (Planet Voodoo's Applied Magick) by Denise Alvarado
Haitian Vodou An Introduction to Haiti's Indigenous Spiritual Tradition By: Mambo Chita Tann (forthcoming)
Voudoun Fire by Melita Denning and Osborne Phillips (incredible photos!)
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Excellent!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Any of the early books by Ishmael Reed...
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
264 Posts

Profile of Zedd
O yes - "Fevre Dream"!!! I love it!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo/Hoodoo movies & books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL