The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9..14..19..24..29..30~31~32 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is a set that includes the Sewell Block Appearance, and the Baker-Tysl Block Vanish.

In effect, the 3" block is removed from the pagoda cabinet, and the rod replaced through the cabinet. The block is vanished via the squarish box with the lid, and it reappears inside the pagoda cabinet, THREADED on the rod!

There is a ton of work involved in these with some very cool mechanics going on. It takes several months to make one to these specs. The block appearance cabinet is a creation of Len Sewell, and described in an obscure little booklet published in the 1940's. It can also be found in one of the Albo books. The Block vanish is a creation from me and a collector who I made the first set for. Very fast vanish of a block that can be handled freely and seen on all six sides.

I have only made a handful of these in the past, and this is one of a current run of three sets. The other two sets will be worked on as time permits, and then I'll offer them for sale.

FYI for woodworkers... The two columns on the front of the pagoda are made by doing half turnings. Basically, two pieces of wood are screwed together and then turned as a single unit. Afterward, when the piece is cut away from the waste, it separates into two identical half pieces, profile on the front and flat on the back.

Enjoy!

~michael

~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Michael this work is insanely great. I'd love to see a performance to get the feel. Awesome.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Beautiful! Looks like a set of Mahjong tiles...

I want one!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Darn you and your ability to make things square Smile
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Beautiful job Michael,

I'm going to go out and throw my tools away and just buy my stuff from you. How much? Why wouldn't you just turn the columns then run them through the band saw and cut them down the middle?

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-01 22:47, Dr. Solar wrote:
Why wouldn't you just turn the columns then run them through the band saw and cut them down the middle?

Have you ever tried to do that?? This is actually much easier and more accurate. It's a cool technique, just keep your lathe tools away from the screws! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
This beautiful work. If you post any more pictures please put a ruler or dollar bill or something for scale. I'll admit, I don't really know how big the piece you made is (I just know that it looks wonderful and sounds like a great effect).

Thank you for sharing.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 01:35, curtgunz wrote:
This beautiful work. If you post any more pictures please put a ruler or dollar bill or something for scale. I'll admit, I don't really know how big the piece you made is (I just know that it looks wonderful and sounds like a great effect).

Thank you for sharing.

3" block.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Wow, as nice and detailed as it is, I thought the block was much bigger. I'm even more impressed.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
Hi Michael,
Absolutely fantastic. I am not even completely sure what it does. I just know it is beautiful and it is something that I would be proud to own!! Great job. Detail is perfect!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2878 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Gorgeous as usual, Michael. Thanks for the post. And thanks too for the tip on the half columns; I now seem to remember seeing it somewhere. but certainly wouldn't have thought of it if I wanted to turn something!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 12:44, George Ledo wrote:
Gorgeous as usual, Michael. Thanks for the post. And thanks too for the tip on the half columns; I now seem to remember seeing it somewhere. but certainly wouldn't have thought of it if I wanted to turn something!

Ditto!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have some more of the half turnings to do for a couple more of these sets, but likely won't even begin that until I get back from Colon. I'll try to remember to shoot a couple photos of the process as I go.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
darylrogers
View Profile
Regular user
Wisconsin
127 Posts

Profile of darylrogers
Beautiful work, absolutely beautiful. Are those real Chinese ideograms on the block (I assume they are Chinese)? If so, do they have a particular meaning or message?
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Nice workmanship! My best regards to you!
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-03 14:31, darylrogers wrote:
Beautiful work, absolutely beautiful. Are those real Chinese ideograms on the block (I assume they are Chinese)? If so, do they have a particular meaning or message?

The Chinese characters are to be read individually, not in groups. I don't recall each one specifically (I'd have to check my files again), but I made a point of using characters that represented various things in nature, applicable to much of the philosophy of Okito type design, or fundamentals or emotions applicable to a magician (by my definition). There have been other pieces that I put out that had either the word "magic", or "magician", or "wizard", or "Michael" (wink!).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ViolinKing
View Profile
Veteran user
a loyal user has no more than
307 Posts

Profile of ViolinKing
To any woodworkers, RE: turning half columns:

Michael Baker, I have no doubt that your method works, but I thought I would mention something that a college professor taught when I was taking "shop class" for a design major.

We glued two pieces of wood together with a sheet of newspaper in between them. (Clamped, dried.) When it was dried, we centered the lathe mount on that line, where the newspaper was.

After turning a form of some kind or another, we wedged a chisel in there and it usually popped apart into two pieces easily.

Maybe something to experiment with, if you are an avid turner of wooden pieces.

~Nick
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the info, Nick. Paper mounting is a common technique used for some lathe work where a face plate, chuck screw, etc. are impractical. I've found for half turnings, screwing the pieces together is faster than waiting for a glue joint to dry with any kind of security. There is also zero chance of the pieces coming apart, such as could happen if a gouge dug in. I put the screws in about 1/2" from the end, with heads going opposite direction to equalize the balance. The waste is very little. The key is to know how far you can turn toward the waste and avoid the screws. Hitting one would totally wreck a good (and expensive) lathe tool.

Yes, the lathe centers have be right on the joint, or the pieces could end up any ratio other than 50:50. Off center along the line is not so bad, but it still pays to shoot for the middle.

But I guess like many things, there are often more than single ways to accomplish the task! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2384 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Wow... Really beautiful work, Michael! Great detail. lol... I can build big stuff... as long as you don't get tooo close! I admire your craftsmanship.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5292 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
This is simply stunning work Michael. Yet again, I am not surprised.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9..14..19..24..29..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL