The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Now were talkin' magic!!!
Can you publish the recipe, or did you just wing it?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The salad ingredients are listed and my proportions are sort of indicated by the photo. No biggie if you go more of this, or less of that. When I was first starting out in cooking, an old woman gave me the most sage advice of anyone, ever. She said, "If it tastes good to you, it'll taste good to someone else."

There are a lot of recipe variations all over the internet. I cut the quantity down to a single serving. Just me here, and I figured this is better fresh than kept for awhile.

The dressing was olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, chopped garlic, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper (I use a peppercorn medley grinder... McCormick). Tweak away to suit your taste. I did make enough of this to have some around... maybe a cup and a half. It should work for salad greens or pasta salad.

BTW - I used white balsamic vinegar, so the main salad ingredients would retain their nice colors. Like magic, the presentation is important... even when I'm cooking just for me.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks Michael. Your food posts are one of my favorite things about this site. Fitting of course...since it's a Café.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Thanks Michael. Your food posts are one of my favorite things about this site. Fitting of course...since it's a Café.

Ha-ha!! I never really thought about it that way. Maybe I can become the Magic Café's resident chef!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Seriously! I bet you could convince the management to create a new area for recipes with you (deservingly so) as the Resident Chef. Me thinks there are many a magician who dabble in the kitchen as well who would love to share and learn.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, there are some very talented cooks here. We've shared many things in the NVMS section. Before I went into magic full time, I was a chef. That was a long time ago. It's more fun doing it for fun than for money. I was kidding about the resident chef thing. Too much work to keep up with that and magic building. I will continue to post recipes and such as time permits. I recently wrote up a detailed process for making smoked pork for pulled pork, and will post that soon.

What about you Oz? What do you like to eat?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'm very opened minded about food and enjoy pretty much anything if it's prepared well. High blood pressure and cholesterol run in my family, so that unfortunately limits my diet. Cheese is the main loss there. I think I could each wine and cheese exclusively and be happy.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Feta is a good choice for anyone needing to keep an eye on cholesterol. A brine packed feta would even work better for the watermelon salad, because it is saltier than dry-packed or crumbled feta, and that saltiness is the main virtue that it brings to the taste of the salad. It does the same for Spanakopita.

Parmesan can be another good one, as it takes very little to impart the necessary flavor.

I am a cheese freak and eat way too much, although I am fortunate to have good cholesterol levels. I take meds for HBP and my numbers are very good there too. I'm overweight, so I'd likely have to be on the meds even if I cut out the cheese. If I couldn't eat cheese, I'd probably end up on pills for depression! Smile

I'm not what anyone would consider picky about food, but there are probably some things that I would not eat, although not thinking about a list of those at the moment. There are also some things that I have eaten that if offered again, I'd turn down.

Just yesterday, I saw an article about a chef in Canada that is foraging for and serving woodland soil in his restaurant. Yup... dirt! Not up my alley.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
You make very beautiful magical props.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
blamobox
View Profile
New user
A shed in Somerset England
52 Posts

Profile of blamobox
I am a cheese freak and eat way too much, although I am fortunate to have good cholesterol levels. I take meds for HBP and my numbers are very good there too. I'm overweight, so I'd likely have to be on the meds even if I cut out the cheese. If I couldn't eat cheese, I'd probably end up on pills for depression!

ME TOO!

If they ever introduce Crack Cheddar I'm a dead man!
Time Ticks Away Like a Peanut............
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I love the food postings. Truth be told I probably would put cooking above magic as far as a hobby. Pulled pork is one of my specialties and cant see what tips Michael has.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You strike while the iron's hot! Both peaches and blueberries are in season right now. More than I will be able to eat, but not so easy to make half a pie when all the pans are the same size.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I'll be right over.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Michael, look like you ARE a Baker!
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
I mean, it LOOKS like you ARE a baker.

(Well, that typo ruined THAT joke, now, didn't it!)
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
I mean, it LOOKS like you ARE a baker.

(Well, that typo ruined THAT joke, now, didn't it!)
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
(And sorry for the dupe; I'll get the hang of this sooner or later.)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Welcome to the Café StevieDee! (...and thanks for putting 4 of your first 5 posts here! Smile )
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Looks yummy. Looks like a nice thick crust, just the way it should be. Been doing some peach deserts here but have so far been disappointed in the flavor of the peaches this year but will keep trying.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL