We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..30~31~32 [Next]
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Sounds like a great find. The smallest drill presses show up used once in awhile, but 12 in and larger are more scarce. Congrats.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I did get the new DP mounted on the new stand and it's running like a champ. I have not hooked up the laser site and doubt I will. I went ahead and put the old DP back in its original spot and within a few minutes the stupid chuck fell off again! Ha! Anyone want to come pick up a free drill press? Maybe you'd have better luck than I have time to hope for.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Full-size Square Circle that matches the Minis I made earlier in the summer. One sold. 2nd one will be ready in a couple days. #3 about a week after that.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
So inspiring, Michael!
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I'm so impressed with your manufacturing ability although what really makes the piece is the finish. Would you mind telling us how you go about doing your finish work?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Absolutely stunning work Michael!!!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Gary,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you like what you see.

The finishes are a combination of paint and decal work. I know that this topic (painting) has been discussed at length a few times here in the Workshop by me and other builders (very talented builders). I'm not sure if I could find those threads quickly myself, but someone willing to search may unearth them. Some of that was quite extensive information, especially regarding the painting techniques, product selection, etc.

The decal techniques are something that I keep somewhat close to my chest, as that is what separates me from the pack. But, I will say that I create my own decals by manipulating the images with Photoshop and printing on a higher end inkjet printer. The application of decals sometimes requires the skill of a surgeon as my trash can will attest! Ha!

Best tips regarding them... Only apply them to a very smooth, high gloss finish. If you want a matte finish, do that later. When applying decals, apply them to a wet surface so they can be moved around for best alignment. Use a brayer to adhere them to the surface and eliminate all water and air trapped underneath. Always be patient, but experience will tell you when to work quickly. (That's difficult to even describe.) Decal papers are available in both clear and white. Each has it's own applications, and neither is completely opaque. In other words, even if you apply a white paper decal with light ink colors over a dark surface, you will have bleed through. Mostly this is because inkjet does not print the color white. White is created by a complete lack of ink on a white surface, such as copy paper. Lighter colors, pastels and such, are rendered by less applied ink and very prone to bleed through.(ALPS printers are different, however.)

Beyond that, it is best to experiment and you'll discover a lot , as I have over many years of doing this. BTW, I am constantly adjusting (and hopefully improving) my decal techniques.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you to you too, Ron and Oz! I need to shoot a photo of a Mini next to this to show the comparison.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I tricked out my hat for my Halloween Spookers this year.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Seeing your creative results makes me happy!
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Do you use a dye sublimation printer for your decals? What printer do you use? Would a color laser printer work?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I use an Epson Artisan 50 right now. It's just a standard inkjet printer, but a better one than say those HP junk piles. It is designed for photos, so imaging is much crisper. There are better printers out there, but you can get really good results with what I have.

You can use a laser printer, but you'd have to make sure you are buying laser decal paper. Not sure what a DS printer would require. I'm sure the info is easy enough to find.

Do you have projects in mind?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Okito Sleeve Production, custom made for a customer. It copies an older design I did many years ago.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
I use an Epson Artisan 50 right now. It's just a standard inkjet printer, but a better one than say those HP junk piles. It is designed for photos, so imaging is much crisper. There are better printers out there, but you can get really good results with what I have.

You can use a laser printer, but you'd have to make sure you are buying laser decal paper. Not sure what a DS printer would require. I'm sure the info is easy enough to find.

Do you have projects in mind?

What I am working on right now is a take-off on Pop Haydn's Teleportation device and was wondering if some of the artwork and labeling could be done with your technique. Here is a drawing of what I have developed so far.

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:

I like the longer facial hair Michael. Very devilish.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:

I like the longer facial hair Michael. Very devilish.

That other photo was from a loooong time ago. My beard was still red! Ha!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gary, I'd imagine you can use decals for your project. It shouldn't be any different than any other model decals.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
Gary, I'd imagine you can use decals for your project. It shouldn't be any different than any other model decals.

The box is black so......... can I make white decals? Or would the decal cover the entire box face and the body be colored black and the white areas contain no ink?

Sorry to sound so stupid here but I have never printed decals before.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Even with white decal paper, the white areas on your image might appear gray(ish), as some black from the box is likely to show through from underneath. If you can paint that surface of the box white first, it will help. I would print the image as a single large decal and apply to the entire face. It's a less intimidating procedure. Mask the edges of the surface when you paint, leaving maybe 1/8"-3/16" border black. That way your decal does not have to go right up to the edge to completely cover the white paint.

Beyond that, you'll just have to experiment to get a feel for doing this.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I'm wondering if silk screening would work?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL