We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..30~31~32 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've never tried.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
If you're looking to put the control panel itself on the box (not the ancillary notes and callouts), you may want to try making a very good JPG or PNG image of it (which it looks like you already have) and take it to a place that does vinyl graphics, i.e., a sign shop. They can print it on adhesive-backed flat, semi-gloss, or gloss material and then you just apply it to the box. It's simple and looks really good.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2015, George Ledo wrote:
If you're looking to put the control panel itself on the box (not the ancillary notes and callouts), you may want to try making a very good JPG or PNG image of it (which it looks like you already have) and take it to a place that does vinyl graphics, i.e., a sign shop. They can print it on adhesive-backed flat, semi-gloss, or gloss material and then you just apply it to the box. It's simple and looks really good.

George, what a great idea! That solves the problem. I was wondering how I could do something similar but a sign shop....? That's the solution!

Isn't the Magic Café a wonderful place for Magicians to help Magicians?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Great idea George! Thanks for solving the problem.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Glad to help. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gary, when you finish your project, start a new thread where you can show off your work.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Gary, when you finish your project, start a new thread where you can show off your work.

Yes, I was considering doing that already.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's a nice way to separate your work from the pack, and easier for people to find it when searching. Illusionman2 has a great thread going on his Satan's Seat illusion(s), and has done similar threads with his other builds, all showing step-by-step work. My projects are much smaller, so I usually just show the finished pieces, and occasionally throw in a bit of fun stuff like recipes (I used to be a chef). Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Recently finished pieces that are part of an order for a customer in Italy. The Sleeve Production (as also seen above), and two Silk Cabbies.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Something that I cobbled together for my family Halloween shows this year. I modified a sand frame to go along with a story about a witch. It's more than just an appearance of the photo. It's not a spectacular job, but it will be more than sufficient for these shows. I also posted this on a Halloween prop thread.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This box will be used in the witch routine. The box came from Hobby Lobby. I cut panels from very thin plywood and covered with the vintage-look paisley fabric. You can see the front and back of a couple finished panels. They are being glued into the box. It's a nice way to get a neat, finished look. This will be a changing box (flap style).

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The finished box. A cheap way to make a period-looking gaffed box. I've had the box for awhile, and probably bought it when they were on sale. The thin plywood likely cost me more than the box did.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Not only nice but very nice!
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Sweet make-over Michael. Is the gimmick locking or standard?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's just standard. This is for use in a stand up show. Nothing to prove really. I thought about making it locking but figure it would serve no real purpose.

Remove the photo from the frame. Tear it up and toss the pieces into the box. The torn pieces of the photo reappear in the frame, minus the one piece that fits. Nifty use of a sand frame I thought of. It can be seen empty (clear glass) and empty via the sand.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I would love to try and make one of these too, Michael. Where are plans available? Is this device like the Viking-Haenchen Card Box with the metal insert and magnets within?

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Euro%20Card%2......name=box
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
It's actually more like this:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/Medieval-Card......rd%20box

Viking made theirs into locking flap boxes with natural wood interiors. Really nice job refinishing a commodity box. Michael's version looks like a similar commodity box, but his has a loose flap and I like his interior better. Seems to go with the exterior design better than just plain wood.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yeah, I had the fabric around for years. I used it to make a cover cloth for some card frames I did many years ago. It has a nice vintage look. I really like the colors. You can see the same stuff here...

No plans are needed for this. Just find a box that would work. FYI - My box had a couple little flaps on either side to apparently align the top when it closes. They were unnecessary and more decorative than anything. I didn't need anything inside for the flap to trip over or get hung on, so I tore them out before those areas were covered with the lining fabric.

Oz is correct on the style of box. I just cut a piece of sheet steel a bit smaller than the inside bottom (or top) of the box, and covered it with the same fabric used to line the box. The paisley design is very deceptive and a bit of slop on the flap never shows. In fact, I used it in my show tonight and had someone retrieve the switched piece of photo right off the top of the flap and it was impossible to tell that anything inside the box was different. This is actually more deceptive than the numerous flap boxes that I've made with black interiors.

It would be very easy to embed a magnet in the bottom to cause the flap to lock, but I saw no need for that with the routine I planned to use it for. I would also make reset a tad more tedious. You could also put a magnet in the top that can be moved via some ornamentation to release the flap. But again... that's the kind of stuff that only magicians appreciate.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
My Viking-Haenchen Card Box is locking so you can turn the box upside down and the metal insert won't fall out. I really like that element but didn't know until now that it was referred to as a locking box.

I also like the idea of the torn photo with a missing piece. Very nice!
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are (or were) card boxes on the market that would appear the same regardless which side was up. This would be one example of why a non-locking flap would be best. The switch could be made more than once, assuming there was reason to do that.

A locking flap box can be safely put into a spectator's hands, as there is a possibility that he might turn it upside down, especially, if something is inside to be removed. One card changing to another is such a case. Most card boxes are made to just fit the size of a playing card, so dumping a card out is easier than trying to pick it up.

Another use might be if a double face card (ex: 6H/JS) was put into such a box that appears the same regardless of which side were up. That card placed with one face showing (6H) could be changed once via the flap to another card (4C), and then the box reversed, so the original card shows again, but with the opposite face of that card now visible (JS). A triple change! Come to think of it, using another double face card could result in the card appearing to change to four different cards. All it would take is removing the card after the first change and replacing it in the opposite side of the box before closing and reversing it. Then, reversing the box one more time would make the 4th side appear. (I think I just came up with a new routine possibility! Ha!)

Back on track... With my box though, the bottom is deeper than the lid, and the routine is such that only a single piece of the photo remains. That piece is considerably smaller than the area of the bottom of the box, so it is actually more logical to reach into the box and pick it up than it would be to turn the box over, which would be somewhat awkward to do anyway, considering the size of the box.

Like I mentioned, this box was made for a particular routine and purpose in mind. I'm OK that it is a one trick pony, so to speak.

The torn corner idea can be used in a number of routines, from cards, to photos, to bills, etc. Most such routines require simple sleight of hand to switch in the special corner that will match the rest of the main item later. It only need be assumed to belong to the original. Although still possible with sleight of hand, the size of the piece from the photo makes it more practical to not do it that way. Besides, the torn corner ruse is most often used as a contrived bit of "proof", clearly defined in terms before it is needed. Usually the restoration is what the magician openly takes credit for, so the contrived "evidence" is used to set up that premise.

"The card is torn, but here is one piece for you to hold. We will get back to that later."

Such a ruse made no sense in my routine. The photo is already known to haunt me (through the story told), in spite of my attempts to rid myself of it. So, it is openly destroyed and locked away in a box, so as to keep it away from the frame (apparently where the witch resides in order to do her evil doings).

Not only does she escape the box to return to the frame, she leaves behind evidence to remind me that she will always return! Smile

I could of course, "accidentally" drop one piece that never makes it to the box, but the routine is such that I don't need kids hollering at that moment.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL