We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..30~31~32 [Next]
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Looking good Michael!
Have you ever considered mounting dummy panels on the side walls to replicate the flap?
It might be a bit more symmetrical and aesthetically (sorry for being a nob) pleasing.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, Wizard of Oz wrote:

Is the Cabby gimmick on a hinge?

Pivot pins through the ends. These also have tiny bushings that make the action super smooth and very quiet.

Thank God. I hope I never see another "push up" Cabby again. Always jamming with the slightest change of humidity. I think I first saw a hinged (and I'm using that term loosely...not actual hinges but you know what I mean), version with a Milson Worth model, and it was one of those a-ha "Thank you Lord" moments.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ray, The thought had crossed my mind but it was voted down by my own sense of aesthetics. Smile LOL!

Oz, The first pivoting version that I saw was when I bought an old early Okito-Nielsen version I bought on Ebay for (cough, cough) $7.00. I have since repaired a couple of Milson-Worth cabbies, and I must say that his method for constructing and assembling the gimmick was pure genius... unlike anything I've ever seen. I had to rebuild a few of the parts due to it being grossly mishandled somewhere in the past. The ONLY way I was able to take it apart for repair was by virtue of the fact that those old glues had become brittle and I was able to crack the seal. The rebuilds were successful, but I can assure you if it ever has to be done again in the future, the next guy won't be as lucky.

Regarding the "elevator-style" chamber, they do have their place. While there are some sloppy builds that don't account for humidity changes, but MOST of the time, fails are due to pilot error. They get pushed too hard from an odd angle and the thing jams like The Grinch going down the chimney.

I have made a few quite large cabbies that had to account for the necessary action to accomplish the "move". Pushing with a finger was impractical because of the size of the box. Your entire hand would practically disappear. So, I devised a lever system to do the job. Your finger would push on one end of the lever (small action) and it would translate to a larger action at the opposite end, and raise the chamber, elevator-style. In doing so, the action and pressure on the chamber was always exactly where it needed to be to insure a smooth rise.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Michael,

I just wanted to say thank you for posting all your photos... You do beautiful work. I am sure one day collectors will be seeking out your items as treasures to own much like us that collect Cups. You are a true artist.

Take care,
Bruce
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the kind words, Bruce.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Hi, yes, the Okito/Nielsen Cabby used a hinged load chamber instead of a sliding up load chamber. Okito/Nielsen also made a Canary Cabby which also used a hinged load chamber, but it was hinged at one side and raised on an angle. I have many Cabbys' made by well-know builders and even the ones with sliding up chamber worked fine. I think one needs to use the effect more frequently to eliminate potential sticking. Bob
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3387 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Olde Timers used to tell us to rub soap or wax on the sliding parts. In reality all was needed was to work with the prop and become accustomed to the proper technique required.

My experience is limited to Homer Hudson and the early Worth Silk Cabbies.

Julie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Something from the kitchen...

Chicken Marsala w/ Mushrooms

I made this using sliced pork roast a couple weeks ago for a family dinner, but wanted to try it with chicken this time.

The basic ingredients:

Some chicken parts... I had one very large breast that I cut in half and 2 thighs. Mine were all bone-in, but boneless would be just fine. Rinse and pat dry, then season well with salt and pepper.

Shown in the photo:

Mushrooms, sliced or chunked, your preference.
Chopped shallots, chopped sage, rosemary and parsley (regarding the herbs, I use fresh. You don't need a lot. You really just want to sense an aromatic hint of these in the finished dish.)
Dry Marsala (you could also use Madeira or dry Sherry)
Olive oil (I used extra light for this, for it's neutral flavor.)

Other ingredients: 1.5 TBSP or so of flour, 3-4 TBSP of butter, 1 cup chicken stock, 1/4 cup heavy cream

You'll need a large skillet with a lid.

Preheat oven to 325F.

Heat a couple TBSP olive oil in the skillet on stove (Medium-med high heat) and brown the chicken good on both sides (it will only be partially cooked). Remove to a plate for now. Pour off and discard most excess oil, but try to retain any browned bits in the pan.

Add the butter to the skillet and saute the shallots until soft. Add mushrooms and continue to saute until they and the shallots caramelize nicely. Add the flour and continue to cook until the flour is incorporated. Add at least 1/2 cup of the dry Marsala... more if you like. Smile

Reduce until beginning to thicken. Add the chicken stock, the Sage and Rosemary, and continue cooking for a minute or so. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream. Add the chicken back into the sauce, and cover.

Put in the oven and cook until the chicken is done (maybe 15-20 minutes or so).

Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve with some side veggies.

(Note: You could do without the cream, but it really adds a lot to the finished sauce. Your choice. Just don't try to substitute milk or half & half. It won't work.)

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, I have leftovers for tomorrow!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG, I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again. In the workshop or in the kitchen, you've got chops Michael.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is good stuff, OZ. And it's not at all hard to make.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Just finished this. It is a Slow-Rising Die to Hat, based on a Thayer item from many years ago. The die is placed into the cabinet and the front opened so it may be seen throughout. A hat is set atop the cabinet and the die slowly rises, apparently penetrating both the cabinet and the hat to end up inside the hat.

This differs from the Phantom Die (Thayer and Owen), or Loyd's Jewel Chest of Ching See. Those others supposedly cause the die to instantly vanish from the cabinet (when in fact you actually see it rise, just really fast). I prefer this version for it's visual nature, which is kind of creepy to witness!

I will be making 5 total on this run.

I just spent a bit of time gazing through these pages. Lovely lovely stuff. Thanks for showing them. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Dale,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you like what you saw.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I'm going to have to try decals now.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Silk Cabby, two views...

~michael baker
The Magic Company
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Beautiful.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Very classy Michael. Beautiful lines.... A pleasure to see!
keep on keeping on my friend.
Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz

(speechless)
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Michael,

Looks great, always wondered if the art you choose has any special meaning tied to the piece.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gimpy,

Great question! Sometimes yes, sometimes no. No concrete examples to offer at the moment, but I have definitely done this at times.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL