We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14..18..22..26..30~31~32 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
OMG...soooooooooooooooo good.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Just got home from the Halloween thing tonight. Three one-hour shows with 3 other performers.

1st show had some glitches because one performer got stuck somewhere at the last minute and was late getting to the show, so a couple of us picked up the slack and added in some other routines, things we had in reserve, but had not planned into the original set list. It kind of threw our timing off because we were having to wing it in a round robin show. One guy on stage while the other was prepping new stuff backstage, until we knew we'd filled the needed time. Oh, well...

Not a disaster because it was a light attendance, no real screw-ups, just not according to plan and a bit off on the timing.

Second and third shows went exactly as planned and were a blast. Second show was more for kids, as was the first. Third show we turned up the volume on Halloween scary and gore. Great response for both of those shows. Not sure if anyone got video or photos.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Michael, I just got into this thread and I gotta tell ya, I wish I knew about that roasted tomato soup last summer. I'm gonna plant some roma tomato plants in the spring just for that soup! Looks wonderful! So does the apple stuffed pork loin. Not to mention your magical creations in wood, one of which I proudly own, display and use very lightly! Belated congratulations on your being a grand daddy several months back, and finally, here's to a very merry Christmas to you and your family!

ps...keep those recipes coming! Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It has been quite awhile since I've posted here, so please allow me to update...

Here is something that I've had in the works for about a year. It is a Checker Cabinet, based on Arturo's "Oriental Fantasy". For size comparison, the pagoda roof is 24" across from tip to tip. The checkers are about 5" diameter. The effect is a basic transposition between the stack of checkers and a glass filled with rice, silks, or whatever.

Next, is my spin (pun intended) on the Card Spider. Selected card appears when the web is spun.

...And here is an Okito-style Hindoo Inkwell. This causes a transformation of a borrowed watch placed in the cubby, into a lemon, etc., while allowing you to secretly steal the watch for later reproduction from a Nest of Boxes, etc.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
WOW!! Awesome job Michael!
I am not sure which I like the best so I will vote for them all Smile
The Checker cabinet is top notch and an absolute cool design! Excellent execution.
The Hindoo Inkwell is not only cool looking but I am fascinated with the concept. I would love to learn the full effect and maybe see it demo'd.
Pat yourself on the back my man!
It looks like the hard work has really paid off.
Someday, when the lil lady loosens the purse strings, I REALLY want to purchase one of your pieces.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Michael, those are AWESOME!!!!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Fantastic! How do you do it so well?
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
In one word: S U P E R I O R.
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
On a whole nother level to most. Amazing. Love it. Wish you could make a video of them in ACTION.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Breathless...
Absolutely stunning work Mr. Baker.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I appreciate all the kind words, folks!

I made a few of the Card Spiders, and have already sold about half of them. The Inkwells will be the next project for Stevens Magic. They will have 13 of them. Joe Stevens and I are also discussing a run of Checker Cabinets for the future, but they will likely be made with a stack of tea chests, instead of checkers. More presentation possibilities that way.

In the meantime, I will be working on one more, as seen above. I had started two initially, but focused on the one to get it finished. The other is only partially constructed. Down the road I'd still like to consider a 3-door cabinet, but so many other things to do.

I wanted to add another new item here that I forgot. This is an oriental version of the trick I released previously as "Dice Trio". The effect is fairly common... one die removed vanished and reappears in the box. This is different only in the sense of theme... oriental designs instead of numbered dice.

I also have a larger version of the Watch Cabinet done, but I need to shoot a photo first.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Michael, what are the approximate dimensions of the Inkwell?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The top is 13" wide. The first one I made many years ago was bigger, but I thought too big. Okito's version, of which I believe there was only one, was smaller, but watches back then would have all been pocket watches. I wanted this to be used for wrist watches. Of course the steal can be a bit bulky, but my intructions suggest using a small hanky or silk to "polish" the watch prior to placing it in the cubby. Then, in the action of moving the inkwell stand aside, the watch can be stolen, with the hanky offering plenty of cover under a natural series of actions.

If you understand the basic mechanics of a 3-door Checker Cabinet, the inkwell stand operates internally in a very similar manner. This causes the switch from watch to lemon or whatever, and also positions the watch over a necessary t*** d***.

The stolen watch can be directly loaded elsewhere, or shuttled off to an assistant so they can do it. Assume that "impossible" location is a nest of boxes, the lemon would then be later cut open to find a key inside, etc.

Okito's original version, along with full mechanical description, can be found in the Albo series.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Wow! Absolutely fantastic...as usual. Thank you for showing what magic props can look like.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Latest item...

This is my spin on the Okito Tea Canister Transposition. (You're actually seeing more than you should if you were the audience! Smile ) I'm making a small run of these and will probably have some available. I plan to keep one for myself... something I rarely do.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
wandmgc8
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
140 Posts

Profile of wandmgc8
The hits just keep on comin'! Wonderful to behold. Someone needs to set up a hidden video camera so the rest of us can benefit from watching Michael work. He should do a DIY book, or at least do a coffee-table book full of these wonderful photos. My grandest compliments Mr. Baker!

Michael
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Fantastic Michael!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the kind words. Not sure about that hidden camera thing, though. Ha-ha!! I generally require people visit me in person before I let them see the luster knocked off "The Magic Company"!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
WOW!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1591 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I love my Oriental Dice Trio. Great job Michael!

How much will the Okito Tea Canister Transposition be (in other words, how much should I be saving up for)?

Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..14..18..22..26..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.94 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL