We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..30~31~32 [Next]
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
For Gods sake Michael do you have anytime to sleep? JUST FANTASTIC!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The Glass Penetration Frame is mine, so it was done in spare time. I've had it since last fall and just got tired of looking at it all covered in that nasty gunk. I'm glad I devoted some time to it. I may make a Mahogany stand for it. I've seen one on another frame and it made for a nice display.

Gimpy, I rarely sleep more than a couple hours at a time, but I may do that a couple times a day. I wish I could get more work done than I do.

Two main projects on the docket right now. One is a large Checker Cabinet that I've had promised to a gentleman for over a year. The other is a half dozen Sucker Block Boxes in oriental style. Those will be available through Stevens Magic Emporium.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Foodie fix...

Boneless pork loin chop baked with slice of Honey Crisp Apple and Thyme sprigs, with sage dressing made with combination of bread and cornbread. Broccoli salad on the side.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is a refinish project. Passe-Passe Dice. Started this with a found product and gave it my spin. I like it. Pretty good trick, too!

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
984 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Micheal, where do you get the oriental artwork from? I did a search once for a project I was considering doing a while back but was unable to find a good source for old Chinese artwork.
Bob
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Both of your last two posts are very tasty, Michael, and appreciated.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, Intrepid wrote:
Micheal, where do you get the oriental artwork from? I did a search once for a project I was considering doing a while back but was unable to find a good source for old Chinese artwork.

That's kind of a trade secret. There is no one good source.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, StevieDee wrote:
Both of your last two posts are very tasty, Michael, and appreciated.

Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
pkessler
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of pkessler
Beautiful work.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Visiting Michael's house would be the perfect experience. Sit down, have a great meal, talk about great magic. Then go visit the workshop, see great magic. Sit down and eat another great meal, talk about great magic...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Glad you guys like the stuff! The food is usually pretty good, and the coffee pot is always fired up. But regarding the workshop... trust me... I'm the epitome of a cottage industry. Some collectors and fellow builders have paid me a visit and I always joke with them that seeing the workshop will knock the luster off "The Magic Company"! Ha! It's a tight fit, hot as hell in the summer, cold as a well digger's ass in the winter, the roof leaks, and the dust collection system that doesn't work all the time is me with a broom. But on the upside, there are often enough paint fumes to make the day a bit less boring.

I'm in the process of organizing my own collection into "The Dungeon". You actually have to go through the workshop and down to get there. It will become my magic man cave of epic proportions (at least to me). I will be able to sit in this low-rent Xanadu of Conjuring, and ponder the meaning of it all, until the house claims another soul.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I have been to Michaels shop and its a day I will always remember. Should anyone get the chance to visit don't pass up the opportunity. I cant believe the work he turns out in such a small space. I took my wife with me so there is no chance I will ever get to build That big fancy shop of my dreams. Just goes to show, you don't need a huge shop with 10s of thousands of dollars worth of tools to build world class props.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Gimpy, you and your lovely Mrs. are welcome here anytime! (Sorry about raining on your dream shop. Ha!)

I have seen photos of Granville Taylor's shop which is in his attic. It looks like it was built in a tree house. THAT blows my mind!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2014, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Like this: http://www.freewebs.com/taylormademagic/theatticworkshop.htm

Yes!! That's Granville Taylor's attic workshop.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
A little over a year ago, I posted photos of a checker cabinet, based on Arturo's Oriental Fantasy. At the time I made it, I also started a second one. This is the sister, although with a much different paint and decal scheme.

The photos were shot quickly with very bad lighting, so overlook my lack of photographer skills. The colors are not completely true in some of the photos.

Two slightly different views of the cabinet...

Detail of the roof...

The checker stack and the cover tube...

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
That is quite simply a thing of sheer beauty. Absolutely stunning work Michael. I envy whomever ends up with this in his or her collection.
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
Insanely gorgeous. The best part for me is the delicate filigree on the "roof". Most folks would have left it plain, but the design adds a wonderful touch. And oh, it does a trick too?! Even better!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, guys!

Here are two more views taken the next morning with better light. It has been delivered to the new owner. I have had a request to make another one... so, back to work! Smile

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5322 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I am truly speechless Michael. This may be your best work to date as far as complexity goes, would you agree? How many hours on this baby?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15~16~17..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL