The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29~30~31~32 [Next]
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Gorgeous work!!!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thank you!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Peckham
Hi Michael, when will you return to crafting wands?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, Peckham wrote:
Hi Michael, when will you return to crafting wands?

Unlikely that I will. Several years ago I developed a severe allergy to certain exotic woods like Cocobolo. Not worth the pain.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Breathing the dust or phisically coming in contact with it?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Skin rash that was as bad as swimming in poison ivy. Oily exotics are the culprits. Not all are bad, but Cocobolo was a nightmare. I still have a big chunk of it sitting in the shop. Some days we just stand there and glare at each other.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I really like the black and gold color scheme. It looks very rich.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Horses are especially susceptible to allergic reactions from exotic wood sawdust but not jack%^&es. (So you're not a jack%^& Smile )

So far, knock on wood (intentional) I don't have a problem.
On the other hand, when I'm adomizing acrylic either with a table saw or the CNC I need to wear a filtered mask. Nothing else bothers me. I can finish the day with my nostrils clogged by wood, paint, solvent.......... But cutting acrylic without a charcoal filter mask, eeeek Smile

OK then, what other goodies do you have to show? You must have a few you've been holding back.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I did a lot of work with exotics, but then one day... BAM!! At first the doctor misdiagnosed it as something else. I continued doing my work and it got much worse. I started doing some symptom checking online (I know, not always the best option), but I found the info about wood dust allergies and the horrible skin rashes. I stopped working with the wood and it cleared right up. Problem solved.

Catching up now on some projects that are basically repeats of things I've already shown here. I'll post more when I have something new, or if I conjure up something tasty in the kitchen.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
How about something to eat?

This is an Oyster Po-boy with lettuce, tomato, horseradish remoulade on a butter toasted French roll. Yes, it was good!

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ice storm, schedule out of whack and water in my basement... where ALL my magic collection is... ugh.

On the upside...
What to do for dinner on such a crappy day? Check the freezer... Ah, ha! A Ribeye steak! OK, what else is here in the house?

Onions, mushrooms, noodles, wine, and sour cream... sounds like Beef Stroganoff to me! But... maybe a bit different, eh? Maybe Steak Stroganoff? Yeah! Who wants to chop up a perfectly lovely Ribeye, right? Smile

Cook the noodles and set aside. Pan fry the steak to about medium-rare. Cover and set it aside. Saute the mushrooms and onions....

Add some wine... How about a nice Medoc? Yum! Add some beef stock and thicken it a bit. Toss in the noodles to get them hot again. Turn off the heat and stir in a bit of sour cream.

Oh, my...

More magic coming soon! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Michael,

That looks fantastic and what a great feeling to be able to whip up something great with what you have on hand. The weather has been tough here too and have had a hard time getting to the store due to flooding. Hope you had everything up off the floor in the basement. Any idea what caused the leak?

Gimpy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
All I can figure is the vast amount of rain somehow found its way in. I did not catch it when it was actually running, but it appears to have come in from two opposite corners. The river has really risen in the last week. This basement has never flooded, but now that it has, there will be no practical way to stop it from happening again. That is the voice of experience from dealing with flooded homes in other places. I may have to consider a sump pump or two, but I can't afford to have that kind of work done right now.

I have a lot of the magic displayed on a bunch of PVC shelving units, so not in direct contact with the water. There were several corrugated boxes that got wet, but I rescued the contents before any damage, and everything else touching the floor now is plastic, like storage tubs. Regarding the shelves, the lower shelves sit directly on the floor, so the items on those shelves are only about 1 1/2" off the floor. When I installed them, I started with taller units and converted them to more shorter units. This left me with several upright post sections left over and fortunately I saved them. I plan to cut them into 4" lengths and add them to the bottom of all the shelves to raise everything a bit higher just to be safe.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
GS121002
View Profile
Loyal user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
284 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
I may have to consider a sump pump or two, but I can't afford to have that kind of work done right now.

Sorry to hear the bad news but I have to ask, "How can you NOT afford to install sump pumps?" It seems the damage would be eliminated if you had them. If you go to Home Depot and have them use one of their contractors for the job, they are offering a "One Year at No Interest' deal. Then pay it off over the coming year each month. I think Lowes may be offering a similar program. Good luck Michael and I hope you at least have a Happy New Year.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks Gary. I'll check into that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Latest project. This actually a variation of something I've done before, modified by customer request.

This is the full size Okito Tea Canister Mystery with an Alice in Wonderland theme. The final production is a stack of porcelain tea cups, instead of a fishbowl, etc.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Michael... Sorry to read about your water problems, I wish you luck with that.

The Alice in Wonderland props look fantastic... I thought the stack of tea cups to be pretty creative.

Take care,
Bruce
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5346 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I LOVE the Okito Tea Canister Mystery set with the Alice in Wonderland theme. Very, very nice and the cups are a stunning addition.

The flooding sucks. Our basement hasn't been dry for decades, but, it's from 1920 and now needs the foundation to be waterproofed from the outside. And that ain't a pretty proposition.
I feel your pain brother.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks, Oz! My house in Birmingham flooded several times. I lived on a hill and it was simply flash flood from excessive rainfall. The first time was during Hurricane Opal. I was out of town and my wife called me and said there was a foot and a half of water in the basement. This was a fully finished basement, too. After getting some relief from FEMA, I gutted the basement and drylocked everything before rebuilding the walls and everything else. I even tore the back deck off the house, dug down the foundation from the outside, waterproofed from that side and then re-contoured the yard to direct water away from the house, before rebuilding a new deck.

A year later, another huge rain and the !@#$%^& basement was full of water again. I lost a lot of magic and books, not to mention furniture, bookshelves, and ruined paneled walls, etc. At that point, I gave up on having a nice magic room there and just packed everything in plastic storage tubs and jacked it all up on pallets. There was a lot of mold and mildew to contend with too. That's really the worst of it. It was not until I moved here five years ago, that I considered laying out the collection again. In all that time, not one drop of water in the basement, even when the river crested at record levels a couple years ago. I figured I was safe, so I went ahead and figured it OK to start laying out the collection.

I checked it a few minutes ago and it was mostly dry. I did a quick survey around the house but could not notice any obvious places where it came from. Without actually seeing it run, it's hard to pinpoint. Hopefully, I won't have that pleasure. Maybe this won't happen often enough to become a threat to all this magic stuff. I already have a workshop roof that leaks like a sieve, and can't yet afford to get that fixed. It's a pain, but one can only do what they can, eh?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Looks good.
Maybe Steak-Strog-a-Buorguignon ala' Baker?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Latest project (62 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29~30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.39 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL