The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » My Vent Haven ConVENTion Performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Here's the routine I performed in the Senior Open Mic at the recent ConVENTion. I hope you get a few laughs.

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULHHzLap1A
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Bob Excellent performance, I am going to the convention for the first time next year and you have set the bar very high. Thanks.

Chuck
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Very good! Great figure, don't quite remember when I've ever head someone say Guvnor so often, at least not since the 1940s. I'm sure you could pick holes in my versions of American accents too.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Thanks, Colin. You're right about "Guvnor." It tends to slip out more than I'd like. Any other accent tips would be most appreciated.

Bob
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Wow! Now I know why everyone was talking about your bit - Great!
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Excellent job, Bob. I really enjoyed that. Great figure, character, and funny material. I also need to thank the late, great Mr. Weston. I used that joke a lot in the past!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
As I have mentioned to you, Bob, if there is a ranking system for open mic, you would have ranked one of the top 3. Smile
MT
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of MT
This is great. I love the red nose. So unexpected.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Now you know why Dr. Bob went from being a virtual unknown performer at the ConVENTion to being talked about all through the halls.
If he would only quit that silly medical profession, the Vent world would be better off having him as a full time performer - of course Mrs. Baker might have a few choice comments on that idea - lol.

Steve

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 12:33, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Mrs. Baker might have a few choice comments on that idea - lol.
Stev

http://www.thedummyshoppe.com

Believe me, Steve, she already has!

Thanks!

Bob
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Oh, I'm so glad you shared this. I missed your open mic spot and was really disappointed. I can now certainly see what all the fuss was about - brilliant work. I particularly liked your K joke.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Great job, Bob! Congratulations!
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Dash & Me
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Dash & Me
So glad I got to see this live. Just as funny the second time around as well.
Great job.

Troy
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Bob, it was tops all the way!!!!!!
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Thank you all very, very much. I am deeply appreciative of your kind words.

B
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
OUTSTANDING!! Loved the Nelson vent figure. You are EXTREMELY TALENTED!!!
CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
OUTSTANDING!! Loved the Nelson vent figure. You are EXTREMELY TALENTED!!!
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Bob, great work, wonderful lip control, splendid material. You kept the figure alive at all times. Impressive quick switches back and forth between you and the figure.

I used to teach dialects and, as Colin could tell you, an actual Cockney accent would be near impossible for a lot of Americans to understand. What you use is a stage Cockney, and a darn good one, too. Did you just pick that up or study for it? The mark of a good stage dialect is that it sounds like it is "at home" in the speaker's mouth...and it certainly was in your case. It seemed that your volume dropped a bit when your figure spoke, but that could just as easily have been my speaker here, which is built into the screen frame. High high high marks all around!

-Philip
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Thanks, Philip.

I used Paul Meier Dialect Services to learn the Cockney accent. For inspiration I had Stanley Holloway (Alfred P. Doolittle in "My Fair Lady), the English comic Mickey Flanagan, and Ray Alan's Lord Charles (inebriated, though not Cockney). You are right about the strength of the accent. The first few times I performed with him audiences missed lines. So I scaled back on the accent and improved his enunciation. I cheated a little and removed the famous Cockney "glottal stop" from the word "sobriety" so that it could be understood.

At any rate, thanks for your comments. They are very much appreciated.

Bob
Matt Thompson
View Profile
New user
Gadsden, Alabama
31 Posts

Profile of Matt Thompson
Great performance! You have a very developed character and have some really clever jokes in there. The red nose and God bit is particularly effective. Very fun to watch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » My Vent Haven ConVENTion Performance (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL