The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Matt Damon on Teachers (his mom is one) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
NO NO NO NO!!!!! There should be NOOOOO evaluation by actors by ANY method. It would simply be unfair, biased, and too open for abuse!!! That's the whole problem with the movie industry today. Actors are paid WAY too much based on results which is inheritly unfair to all other actors.

You're obviously missing the whole point of this exercise.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 16:14, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 16:02, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 15:47, rockwall wrote:
It's too bad Screen Actors don't have the same kind of union rules that teachers have. Then Matt would only get paid the same amount that others with his number of years experience would get paid. Not that he would mind, he does it for the love of acting anyway. Since we realize that no one is a great actor overnight and real quality only comes with years in the business, actors for the latest block busters would probably be based on seniority. The next Bourne Experience would probably star Dolph Lundgren.

Come on guys, you too can contribute. What other rules would the movie studios follow if this were the case?

This is a classic post, and should be reproduced on any website publicizing Damon's comments.

I'd also add that there's really no accurate way to measure acting performance, anyway, so any attempt to qualitatively differentiate between actors would only be polluted by bias and politics.

Agreed. All actors should be evaluated by the results of a standardized test that audiences take measuring the quality of their emotional responses and capacity for empathy. Any actor who does not sufficiently improve his/her audience's capacity for empathy by at least 15% a year, to rise to 100% proficiency by the year 2016 should be fired.

I think the operative word you missed in my post was "ANY (attempt to qualitatively...)"
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
What is the meaningful analogy between actors and teachers again?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 17:27, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Sort of depends what you mean by "meaningful."

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:

Apart from the fact that both teachers and actors have unions?

Not much, really.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

Actors and teachers are similar in many respects.

Topologically, for example.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

In broad terms, maybe. But we all know actors do not have pores... unless they're being filmed in HD (at which point the act of observation causes sweat glands and acne to be spontaneously generated.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What's the 'meaningful' difference that doesn't make the suggestion of hypocrisy inapposite? While reaping the tremendous benefits of an industry that rewards some and forces others into alternative lines of work, he rails against any attempt to distinguish between people in another industry. Are 98% of teachers REALLY fungible?

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:01, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Ok you got me there.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Actually, I think the differences, if anything, argue the other way.

What do we as a society care if horrible actor Joe Dingledangle grinds out a living playing "Lefthanded Bartender #3" in "Oh Vodka, My Vodka"? Conversely, sure, we like Sandra Bullock, but what would we really lose as a society if she pulled a Grace Kelly and gave it all up to be Princess of West Eastlandia? Yet under the current system, Bullock is as incentivized as all get-out to remain an actress, and poor Joe Dingledangle can easily be forced to get a day job if he's judged to be not good enough. Meanwhile, we offer the best teacher in the world less money than anyone else in the same district who happens to have started earlier, and it's all but impossible to fire the Joe Dingledangle of teaching, despite entrusting the education of hundreds of children to him each year. We accept that people are empowered to make the decision to get rid of bad actors, but tolerate excuse upon excuse for why bad teachers should remain in the classroom.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
On 2011-08-05 17:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
landmark wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. All actors should be evaluated by the results of a standardized test that audiences take measuring the quality of their emotional responses and capacity for empathy. Any actor who does not sufficiently improve his/her audience's capacity for empathy by at least 15% a year, to rise to 100% proficiency by the year 2016 should be fired.

I think the operative word you missed in my post was "ANY (attempt to qualitatively...)"

What I've said more than once now is that while in theory there may be a good way to evaluate teachers (please tell me what, though) in reality, and a very sick reality it is, the evaluations are exactly those to which I've ascribed to our hypothetical actors.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
What's the 'meaningful' difference that doesn't make the suggestion of hypocrisy inapposite? While reaping the tremendous benefits of an industry that rewards some and forces others into alternative lines of work, he rails against any attempt to distinguish between people in another industry. Are 98% of teachers REALLY fungible?

Not what he said at all.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 19:57, landmark wrote:
What I've said more than once now is that while in theory there may be a good way to evaluate teachers (please tell me what, though)

Perhaps we could use the criteria by which you objectively claimed to know who the best ESL teacher in all of New York is.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 15:47, rockwall wrote:
It's too bad Screen Actors don't have the same kind of union rules that teachers have. Then Matt would only get paid the same amount that others with his number of years experience would get paid.

That's not a bad idea for a public national theatre and has in fact been instituted in several instances. And of course, the whole point of the actors' unions is to insure there will be a minimum salary for every working actor whether you happen to be improved by them or not. But I'm with you, let's get more of those 98% unemployed artists working again as they were under the Federal Theatre Project in the 1930s.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 20:05, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 19:57, landmark wrote:
What I've said more than once now is that while in theory there may be a good way to evaluate teachers (please tell me what, though)

Perhaps we could use the criteria by which you objectively claimed to know who the best ESL teacher in all of New York is.

I doubt it. It would require at a minimum that the evaluators care about students. Please see the second half of my sentence that you quoted.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Michael Moore: Matt Damon For President

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/09......740.html

Even though Matt only acts for the love of acting, thank god I doubt he'd be willing to take the pay cut.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Michael Moore for Expatriate!

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-08-10 00:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Michael Moore for Expatriate!

No no no. Keep him there! Don't let him into Germany.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Matt Damon on Teachers (his mom is one) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL