The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Matt Damon on Teachers (his mom is one) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Magnus,

I'm curious. Have you known any teachers who you thought were exceptional? Have you known any you thought were quite inadequate? One's that maybe you felt chose the wrong profession.

I've come across both types in all my various professions. I would be surprised if they don't both exist in the teaching profession.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 19:57, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
"Good teachers" usually identified as the ones for whom we have fond memories. Memories are notoriously unreliable.

John

My teachers insisted that sentences contain verbs; I was a bad student.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-02 20:18, rockwall wrote:
Magnus,

I'm curious. Have you known any teachers who you thought were exceptional? Have you known any you thought were quite inadequate? One's that maybe you felt chose the wrong profession.

I've come across both types in all my various professions. I would be surprised if they don't both exist in the teaching profession.

All three. Those in the third group usually don't stick around for long. And I've seen some excellent teachers go through crises in life and be much worse than before for a few years before they recover.

The weird thing is sometimes a teacher who appears to me to be inadequate is just perfect for some children and absolutely dreadful for others.

The extremes are easy. There are some teachers that are just fantastic and some who should find other work. The million dollar question is how to fairly and adequately evaluate all the ones in between. Many systems have been proposed, but none have been satisfactory.

John
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
But you're able to identify them.

And still your solution is to reward them all equally.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 19:27, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 18:43, critter wrote:
Let me repeat though that I am idealistic enough to believe that this is a local issue and that other places actually have good teachers.
I have a lot of respect for what a teacher represents. The ideal of a teacher is an ideal that I admire. But I encountered less than 3 people in public school who lived up to that ideal.
The rest seemed to have the mentality of Zimbardo's guards.

Please remember that the lesson of Zimbardo's experiment was that the structure of a situation shapes good people's actions. Structures that are laid down by administrators.

Trust me, I'm very well acquainted with the SPE.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 19:27, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 18:43, critter wrote:
Let me repeat though that I am idealistic enough to believe that this is a local issue and that other places actually have good teachers.
I have a lot of respect for what a teacher represents. The ideal of a teacher is an ideal that I admire. But I encountered less than 3 people in public school who lived up to that ideal.
The rest seemed to have the mentality of Zimbardo's guards.

Please remember that the lesson of Zimbardo's experiment was that the structure of a situation shapes good people's actions. Structures that are laid down by administrators.

Trust me, I'm very well acquainted with the SPE. Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Argh! The internet is a J-Hole sometimes!
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
We believed you the first time.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
Glitch in the matrix. Sometimes the internet is a total J-Hole.
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-08-02 21:04, rockwall wrote:
But you're able to identify them.

And still your solution is to reward them all equally.

The solution to what? I don't recall identifying a problem, much less a solution.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
Two examples from high school. Teacher #1 - decent guy, well spoken, managed to find ways to interest his students. Always had time to deal with individual student needs and held impromptu classes just outside the class before we went in.
Overhears me saying to another student' "Don't worry about it."
Teacher; "Do you know where a man who never worries goes?"
ME; No, Where?"
Teacher; "that's right."

Now teacher #2 - and this one gets me because he died recently and several of my school year friends actually mourned the loss.
This "teacher" walked into our first class one day and randomly started pointing his finger at students and said; "Your gonna fail, your gonna fail, your gonna fail..." Throughout the semester he held up students work to ridicule it in front of the rest of the class. He and an equally late English teacher remain the chief reasons I loath the thought of ever going to any kind of school again.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
School, I hated it but for one teacher...

He showed interest in my Magic. (Even went to his house, met his wife, ate some curried crabs... Smile )

Hmmm... School, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm not a teacher, but I had quite a few.

That makes me a stupid butt head.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Here are a few random thoughts that might surprise some of you.

1. Back when I was teaching at a college in the States, I had a few administrative duties that gave me an insiders view of some things. One of the strange things I learned is that colleges skew their admissions statistics. They all do it, but they have to be careful because the accreditation agencies do check up on such things. Anyway, here's one of the things they do: when a college says, "the average SAT of our matriculating students is over 1,200!", they do not include those students who are planning to become teachers. Why not? Well, the average SAT scores of future teachers is significantly lower than the rest of the students, so they are considered "exceptional". Maybe John has similar inside information about Canada. In other words, kids with really high SATs plan to become doctors, lawyers, and engineers. Not teachers.

2. Traditionally, in Germany teachers are considered high-level professionals and are held in great esteem. Also traditionally (these things are changing, folks) a teacher is a civil servant with all implied benefits. What this means is that the desire to become a teacher reflects something other than altruism. Some kid is really good in school, then wonders what to do with his or her life, and then thinks, "Teacher? A job for life? Good pay, good respect? Job for life? OK, I'll do it. It's a job for life, after all." Keep in mind that well over half of our students in the English department at the university where I teach are planning to become teachers. My daily bread and butter is teaching future teachers. I get to know them and what they are like fairly well. And none of them think like Matt Damon.

3. I'd rather be a vagina face than a stupid butt head. Just saying.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-08-03 05:09, stoneunhinged wrote:

3. I'd rather be a vagina face than a stupid butt head. Just saying.

If that means having one on my face, I'd be one too. (*)

* "Subject to Terms ans Conditions."
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I will say this about Matt damon's mom. I'm pretty sure that she really does teach because she loves to do it since I'm pretty certain she doesn't do it cause she needs the money!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I hope being called a stupid vagina face has made you a little less depressed today stoney!

Best.

Mike
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Well, I'm still depressed, but you did give me a slight smile. For that I thank you.

Of course, I've been picking my nose more than usual today....
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Lol
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Don't mean to pry, but why the depression? Hope everything is OK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Matt Damon on Teachers (his mom is one) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL