The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Opinions on Whether to Age a Notebook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
I recently purchased a Moleskine journal on the cheap at my local Borders which is going under (I hate seeing these bookstores continually close). I had some thoughts on perhaps aging it and trying to make it look like someone's old book of spells or voodoo. I hesitate though because of how common they are. Didn't know if they looked similar years ago or not? Also, I would have some markings to contend with that I would have to get rid of. Any thoughts/opinions on if this is worth trying or if it would be too hard to buy into as a spec? Also, to go along with this post (perhaps this part would be better for in the crypt)I am looking for tips on aging a book. I have done some work aging papers although not too extensively, but have never worked with a whole book. I assume it will be tedious but could be easier learning from others' trial and error.

Thanks,
Jon
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
I aged a book once. I didn't want it to look water damaged or terribly beat up. I started by going out and buying a book from the time period I wanted (1800s) and then copied how it looked. Specifically, light sanding to create wear where appropriate and then I used a deep yellow pastel on each page. It does a very good job of recreating the acid burn you see on old paper.

I would recommend started with the real thing (look at pics online if it is too old to buy) and then work from the real thing.
Stoltz
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of Stoltz
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 16:41, Paul Prater wrote:
I aged a book once. I didn't want it to look water damaged or terribly beat up. I started by going out and buying a book from the time period I wanted (1800s) and then copied how it looked. Specifically, light sanding to create wear where appropriate and then I used a deep yellow pastel on each page. It does a very good job of recreating the acid burn you see on old paper.

I would recommend started with the real thing (look at pics online if it is too old to buy) and then work from the real thing.

This is exactly what I do to age my books.

The compressed chalk pastels work wonders on many things.
I also tend to work the dust into the page in soft circular motions with my fingers.

As Paul says It does indeed do a great job emulating the cellulose fiber's natural decay.
This is exactly why most paper today is "acid free".

Just about the only thing I haven't figured out how to emulate,
is the brittleness the papers get over time as they decay.
Although, I imagine a short trip into the oven might do the trick.
(I'm not sure I would even wish to do this though if it did work.)
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2877 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I will second Paul's comment: study some real books from that period to see what they really look like, and go from there. It's way too common to go overboard on something like this, and the props tend to end up looking like cartoons or worse.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jon W.
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jon W.
Thank you for the feedback so far guys. I guess I will need to decide on a time period. I mainly was just picturing in my mind some mysterious person's old handwritten journal from a few generations back in which they put notes pertaining to spells or vodou. Something showing moderate age/wear but looking like it could have come from a box in the attic.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
All the above suggestions are great, and I use them myself with great effect.

Another thing to add here that I have used with great results is a set of color agents and tools, the purpose of which is to antique and age papers for scrapbooking. These kits/sets can be found in craft stores like Michaels and JoAnn Fabric superstores. They are between $10-20USD and will age a lot of papers, but it also depends on how heavily you are aging individual pages, and other techniques with which you combine their use. For reference, they are usually found in the scrapbooking aisles among the stamp pads and such.

I hope this information is useful to you.
EddiefromEugene
View Profile
New user
Eugene, Oregon
83 Posts

Profile of EddiefromEugene
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 23:53, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
All the above suggestions are great, and I use them myself with great effect.

Another thing to add here that I have used with great results is a set of color agents and tools, the purpose of which is to antique and age papers for scrapbooking. These kits/sets can be found in craft stores like Michaels and JoAnn Fabric superstores. They are between $10-20USD and will age a lot of papers, but it also depends on how heavily you are aging individual pages, and other techniques with which you combine their use. For reference, they are usually found in the scrapbooking aisles among the stamp pads and such.

I hope this information is useful to you.

You wouldn't be able to post a link to one of these kits would you ? That would be awesome !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Opinions on Whether to Age a Notebook (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL