The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A REALLY amateurish question :p (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lost in Thought
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Lost in Thought
15 people is a large close-up gig. Stick with what you know.

Good luck and have fun.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Thomas,
Sounds like an ideal opportunity to dry run your audition material.
You know what I'm talking about Smile
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Above all! Make absolutely sure that someone videos it!

We should not be denied the experience!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Don't do the lube!!
david12345
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of david12345
The audience is absolutely an ideal audience as has been mentioned before and this can surely work to improve your confidence for larger shows. All I would add is make sure to have fun and stick to what you do best. There is some seriously solid advice given on this thread and good sentiments. Good Luck!

Definitely get it on video!
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Good luck Thomas! hope things go well. Just try to control the audience and interact the best you can. Due to the age you can totally connect with them well and just have fun! Don't forget that part Smile

best of luck!

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1908 Posts

Profile of Lior
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 18:38, Shrubsole wrote:
Above all! Make absolutely sure that someone videos it!

We should not be denied the experience!

Do tape it but for yourself.
You will learn so much for your next shows.

How much did you charge ?
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Good luck, Tom. You'll do well, you've got both the mouth and the moves to Ace this as far as the audience goes. The rest is you deconstructing it all and learning whatever it is the night will teach you.

Have fun and be fun.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3903 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Great news, Thomas.

I'd advise the following: Relax and have a good time. Do the effects you're comfortable with...ones you enjoy doing. Go slow and relax. Perform with the sense that they are your friends and they will be. And under no circumstances do that lube thing. Smile

Good luck, fella.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Since the person I am working for is a trusted friend of a friend, I didn't ask how much when she asked me to do it - I knew I'd say either too much or too little. How much should I expect do you think? I'd be happy with £20 and a four pack. Smile

I'll give a fiver to one of the girls to film it. If it goes well its nice to show off the effect Smile

My current ideas:

- Open with coin in which hand

- MD (the 'secret' version)

- QB2.0 (explaining how this is a detour from my psychological work, and straying into "the psychic arts")

- ESP card matching (back to the psychological again)

- AOCAAN finale

All of this packs into a very, very small little brown leather briefcase; looks rather professional and curious! I do have only two thoughts however:

1. Should I include a bit of p**-***w? Not as a main effect, but just a small thing, or maybe a hot reading?

2. Does anyone know where I can quickly get my hands on some CLEARLY m**ked ESP cards? I currantly own Beyond ESP 2, and I'm sorry my darling Mr Murry, but I cannot read them correctly 100% of the time. I am trying to find some 'bycicle' ones which are marked clearly, like the Ultimate M**ked Deck.

Any thoughts? Smile

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Does anyone else find the term "Special User" to be a bit condescending?
Euan4
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
147 Posts

Profile of Euan4
Thomas I would say order Paralabs ESP cards from the Head hacking site! should be quick delivery and the cards are amazing and what you need is clear Smile

I replaced my Beyond ESP 2 cards with these ones, I loved beyond ESP but it was hard on my eyes.

Euan
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree with Euan, especially since you plan on doing the ESP test just before the ACAAN. The Paralabs cards look like authentic testing cards and don't at all resemble the cards you will be using for the finale.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Am I the only one here that finds this extremely weird...and ironic? Here is a guy that stormed in here very opinionated, very offensive to many who tried to offer help and knowledge, who is a first-string arm-chair quarterback with bold opinions and criticizing longtime pro's telling us his area of specialty, and now he's finally got to put up or shut up by doing a real show (well sort of) and he's got to ask what to do and the opinions of the many here he's bashed, brutally under at least two different names. How easily some forget.

He's a beginner just getting into the kiddie pool.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3903 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
The Paralabs cards are perfect -- as long as you can get the hang of them quickly. Some people do...it takes others a while. But the markings ARE diabolical.

Have you tried the MK-MOD cards? They're FROM your neck of the woods...and they are very clearly marked -- so clearly marked that I use them when the lighting stinks. I'm always nervous about getting busted...but it hasn't happened yet.

Try not to focus too much on the effects...try to focus more on staying relaxed and having fun.

And don't tell them where you hide your ProMystic receiver.

Seriously.

Don't.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-08-02 23:39, Mindpro wrote:
Am I the only one here that finds this extremely weird...and ironic? Here is a guy that stormed in here very opinionated, very offensive to many who tried to offer help and knowledge, who is a first-string arm-chair quarterback with bold opinions and criticizing longtime pro's telling us his area of specialty, and now he's finally got to put up or shut up by doing a real show (well sort of) and he's got to ask what to do and the opinions of the many here he's bashed, brutally under at least two different names. How easily some forget.

He's a beginner just getting into the kiddie pool.

You've never made written a book, therefore you have no idea how to write a book? You've never made a film, therefore you have no idea what makes a good film? Susan Boyle had never sung professional, therefore she cannot... ohh wait. I see the logical fail here.

Once you remove the bias that you hold Mindpro, the flaw in your argument becomes obvious. Some of the best magic I have ever seen comes from amateurs.

And thank you Bob for pointing that out! I don't want to do 2 "card tricks" in a row, and therefore non-magic looking cards will be needed. Good thinking, I appreciate it Smile

Tom
xx
I call myself "Thomas Cooper" here because this stops the magic café appearing when people google my stage name.

Bastien
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Bastien
Every pro was once an amateur. And every performer must have a first show.

Haters gonna hate.

Best of luck to you Thomas.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The point remains quite simply yapping about something and actually performing are two different things. I think it's quite ironic that you come on here with your slick words, opinions of tried and tested effects, techniques and works by some longtime professionals and you are quick to attack with your unsolicited opinions based on "all your knowledge" yet when it comes to putting rubber to the pavement you have to come on here and ask about the most very basic of knowledge, seeking input on what to perform, how to perform and scramble around for new and last minute effects and additions to quickly add or consider. Come on you're the most legendary professional amateur on here, how dare you have to ask anyone with experience how to perform a live show.

Most every pro was humble when they started with their first show, this is not the case here. No haters here, just stating he facts...just the facts!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
First off, good for you Thomas! And congratulations! It’s a good step.

Now, I like to do some of both (close-up and parlor), and the way I handle it (this didn’t occur to me at first) is to place a small “sit-down” table in the middle of the room. I do what I need to from the “stage area”, but when it’s time to shift gears, I’ll invite one (sometimes two) “special guests” to join me at the table for some close up. Everyone else can see as well, but this brings it down to a much more intimate feel. (Note: this is about as “surrounded” as it gets, so you’ll want to choose your experiments accordingly!)

I remember reading somewhere about a group doing séances in this manner, with an inner gallery and an outer gallery. It works!

You’re advanced enough to know most of the other stuff (i.e. stick with what you know; engage the people, not the method; finish BEFORE they’ve had enough; etc.?)

Good luck with this. I’m excited for you!

Mindpro, we ALL know Thomas’ history here, and his behavior isn’t significantly different from anyone else with a lot to learn. The exciting part is that he seems to actually be learning it! I’m personally rooting for the guy!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Thomas Cooper
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of Thomas Cooper
Quote:
On 2011-08-03 00:59, Mindpro wrote:
The point remains quite simply yapping about something and actually performing are two different things. I think it's quite ironic that you come on here with your slick words, opinions of tried and tested effects, techniques and works by some longtime professionals and you are quick to attack with your unsolicited opinions based on "all your knowledge" yet when it comes to putting rubber to the pavement you have to come on here and ask about the most very basic of knowledge, seeking input on what to perform, how to perform and scramble around for new and last minute effects and additions to quickly add or consider. Come on you're the most legendary professional amateur on here, how dare you have to ask anyone with experience how to perform a live show.

Most every pro was humble when they started with their first show, this is not the case here. No haters here, just stating he facts...just the facts!

If your saying I should be humble and nervous for the show, I am not. I never have been afraid of performing, and have read my poetry and stories to crowds of over a thousand people - Some call this arrogance, I call it confidence.

I'm glad I made this thread really, I've picked up a lot of good advice I think; and now I'm really looking forward to it Smile

Tom
xx

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10024 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No, that's not what I was saying. The one thing that hasn't changed is your ability to accept criticism and advice of those that have done what you have yet to do. And performing poetry and a live mentalism show are far from the same thing. In my opinion there are many variables that can occur and go wrong with mentalism than in reading poetry, regardless of the size of the audience. I do wish you well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A REALLY amateurish question :p (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL