The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garrett Thomas Stand Up Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
966 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On 2012-09-13 20:20, Magikraft wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-05 18:50, Woodfield wrote:
How does this differ from Martin Lewis' Queenie from his book Martin's Miracles?


I haven't seen Garrett Thomas's but I understand it can be done in the hands, which is very useful. Queenie needs a table.
-Martin Lewis


Yes it can most certainly be done in the hands. It really is a great routine which kills! You just have to be careful of 'grabby' spectators
with this one. It is visually very powerful. I highly recommend it for walk around.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
bobaji
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of bobaji
This is an awesome walk around trick - I now do it all the time - I used to use Killer kitson miracle but have replaced it with this, I'll still use KKM occasionally becasue I love the routine - but Stand up monte is now not just a go to monte/wildcard effect for me but a go to routine. I use it every where. I have the orignal version with the wrtieen instructions - took some time to work it out from those but worth the effort.

I need to get some new cards for this - but might just buy the dvd as well as I'd like to see whats on it and any extra touchs that I might be able to pick up on. Well done Kozmo fro bring this out.

As to anyone worrying about the dicrepencies I can tell you first hand not a problem - even if they do suspect anything - they are blown away by the end and the strcuture of the routine deals with it in my opinion. If you perform for real people regulalry - its a great effect.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2376 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree, excellent effect, one of most successful walk arounds
glowball
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN
182 Posts

Profile of glowball
In response to the "inconsistancy" of turning two face up cards face down and one is still face up. I have done this routine many times and have never been challanged on this. Often times you can add a little distraction at the same time by turning the third card over and back in the other hand.

In response to disliking "putting a card in and out of your pocket" - if done in your pants pocket then I agree, but when done from your breast shirt pocket it is more natural and note that Garrett gives you good covering patter such as "there are 3 cards and you only have two eyes so let's remove one card just to make it fair" and "I cheat by using a fourth card". The proof of the pudding is in the eating and this routine "eats" very well.

I bought the S.M. routine several years ago and the original instructions were a little fuzzy to me at one point about the left hand card and placement, but I was able to figure out what was needed. The technical skill level needed is lower than Color Monte. The difficult part is just remembering what to do next, but after a while it just flows kinda like rub-a-dub-dub.

Next to sponge ball routines I like Garrett's Standup Monte routine the best of any closeup routine I do. I believe this is definitely superior to color monte (even though C.M. is very good) because the cards are handled much more openly and no DL's are involved in S.M. The fact that a card changes in the spectator's hand is impressive. There are many times when the spectator believes very strongly that a card is one thing and it is immediately shown to be otherwise.

I like Standup Monte better than "Wild Card" because at the end of W.C. the spectators often believe that there is some kind of "TV Magic Cards" involved to change that many cards whereas with Standup Monte the thought in the back of their mind is that you the magician are really good. Don't get me wrong, W.C. is a great effect, but S.M. makes YOU the star. Another neat thing about the S.M. routine is that at the end you are automatically reset.

I have done S.M. for a waiter who got so excited he ran and got other waiters to come and see it and then they got the manager who came and saw me do the routine and he gave me a free meal. It is a very, very powerful routine in the eyes of the spectator. For high school age and up you will be hard pressed to find a better short closeup card routine. It is a reputation enhancer. For young males who play poker they envision you as a super card shark. This routine will (in my opinion) put you on the same level (in the eyes of laymen) as the best card magicians in the world.

Note that you are getting many strong effects during your presentation and not just a big kicker effect at the end. I think that $30 is cheap for perhaps the best packet routine ever. The price is insignificant.
dedikc
View Profile
Loyal user
France (Lyon)
260 Posts

Profile of dedikc
Chakkan and I are happy and proud to present you the 4th footage of the French equivalent of WMS reviews ! On the menu of this "item special" : - Stand Up Monte - Garret Thomas - Triple Coincidence - Card Shark - The No Way Bottle Production - Iñaki Zabaletta VERNET - Phantom Knife - Richard Osterlind Have fun ! C&C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xONxRXrratU
Calix: french Lyon magician
https://www.facebook.com/calix.magicien.lyon
http://www.evenementmagique.fr
danster08
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of danster08
This routine absolutely kills. I have just started doing it and the reactions are great!
Daniel Lee
317-941-6FUN
http://danielleemagic.com/
Sasasaam
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Sasasaam
I had the privilege of learning this from the master himself (or some of the subtleties anyways — I do have the DVD). The DVD is incredibly thorough, although there are one or two subtleties Garrett uses but doesn't entirely touch upon that I've found extremely important in disguising the discrepancies. They have to do with the angle of the card after the WC move.

All in all, this effect is so incredibly brilliant! It is a go to effect for me, after Invisible Deck and my rubber band set (which contains a lot of things that I do sort of interchangeably as a fluid routine). And I also really don't understand why people have problem with the pocketing. It is extremely well explained by the patter. IMO, everything in SM is better explained than most effects out there!

Pros:
-Great in many stages
-Resets instantly for walkaround
-Well taught, well shot
-Almost entirely in the hands
-feels COMPLETELY impossible!

Cons:
-You have to have really top-notch audience management. A grabby spectator can throw off the routine
-Takes some time to memorize the order, since at each stage the cards look the same in your hands
***Teaching tip from Garrett was to never practice an individual stage out of context when learning the routine

Overall, I'd say 9.5/10! Fantastic routine!!!!

P.S. I know I'm a newer member here, and so feel free to disregard this if you like. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents for those that were looking for reviews Smile

-Sam Korn
Nunhunter
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Nunhunter
Love the demo for this, procrastinated too long. Expecting delivery tomorrow. Thanks for encouraging post Sam.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed?
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
411 Posts

Profile of ekins
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed?


I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-......on-pack/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have been doing many versions of 3 card monte for my entire magical career. I bought this when it was new (the version with written instructions) never got it so I gave it to a friend. I bought it again with the DVD and still just couldn't get it for some reason. I would have to believe that it seems over explained rather than missing anything. I also bought the "Expansion Pack" to see if it would help. Unfortunately, It did not (and I do realize it stated before buying you should have the first down). What I am saying here is that it is totally a "ME Problem". Something is stopping me subconsciously from learning this - and it really should not be hard. In fact, It should be rather easy which is what hurts my brain a little to think about it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this with this effect (or any other effect that just stumps you no matter how hard you go at it)?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
296 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
I have both the Standard and Expansion DVD's, and also have the "ME Problem". About once a year, I study and practice this for about a week, get the beats of provided routine down and then never get around to performing it (in fact, I was just thinking of starting to practice this again soon). I think my problem is I'm so focused on getting the provided routine down, that if I miss a step I get thrown off for the remainder of the routine. Big reason I bought the expansion pack is for Garrett's pointers for a simpler set-up and what to do if you get lost.

As for the "new 2019 workshop", I wonder if this is the additional video Penguin Magic recently added? I briefly watched it the other day, and it has pointers like breaking the 1,2,3 beat of the routine, and how to casually show the backs of the cards vs overselling the backs.
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
32 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have been doing many versions of 3 card monte for my entire magical career. I bought this when it was new (the version with written instructions) never got it so I gave it to a friend. I bought it again with the DVD and still just couldn't get it for some reason. I would have to believe that it seems over explained rather than missing anything. I also bought the "Expansion Pack" to see if it would help. Unfortunately, It did not (and I do realize it stated before buying you should have the first down). What I am saying here is that it is totally a "ME Problem". Something is stopping me subconsciously from learning this - and it really should not be hard. In fact, It should be rather easy which is what hurts my brain a little to think about it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this with this effect (or any other effect that just stumps you no matter how hard you go at it)?


You're not alone big chief, I've been down a similar journey, and have both the written version and DVD version sitting in my drawer of shame. Like you say, this shouldn't be difficult - and I've learned far more complicated routines, however I have some sort of mental blockage with this too. I was just thinking the other day that I should give it another go (probably my 5th or 6th attempt at learning). Maybe I will do after the Blackpool convention when I'm all enthused and excited to learn new things.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Not in any way happy that others are having similar problems, but I am happy I am not alone here. If Garrett should read this, plsase do not take it as a problem you created or that I feel you have total fault. I am only guessing that the conceived "over explaining" led to the "me problem" when trying to get it down. I really like the routine and wish I could pull it off.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, ekins wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed?


I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-......on-pack/

no, they mean this https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547 The Expansion pack does not teach the Stand Up Monte routine, It just gives further ideas with the gaffs.


Back to the orignal 2020 question, does anyone know how much more there is in the newer video? Maybe a workshop was filmed at a MAXX event?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
296 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, ekins wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2020, magic.99 wrote:
Any thoughts out there on the NEW 2019 WORKSHOP that now comes with Stand Up Monte? Has anything changed?


I assume this is what you're talking about?

http://www.kozmomagic.com/product/stand-......on-pack/

no, they mean this https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2547 The Expansion pack does not teach the Stand Up Monte routine, It just gives further ideas with the gaffs.


Back to the orignal 2020 question, does anyone know how much more there is in the newer video? Maybe a workshop was filmed at a MAXX event?


I posted this earlier. I think the "New workshop video" is the additional video Penguin Magic recently added to the original product in your "My Penguin" section(if you purchased the DVD via Penguin)? I briefly watched it the other day, and it has pointers like breaking the 1,2,3 beat of the routine, and how to casually show the backs of the cards vs overselling the backs.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Unfortunately, (rather fortunately), Mine was given to me by a friend so it is not in my Penguin Library. I had the old written version for years and never "got it" so he gave me his DVD and cards because he never quite got it either. I did purchase the expansion set from penguin though.

The bad part is, I really love this routine, the idea, the gaffs... My brain just freezes for some reason when I try to work it out.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
296 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The bad part is, I really love this routine, the idea, the gaffs... My brain just freezes for some reason when I try to work it out.


Same here. When I practice this, I work off of a bullet list I fine tune over time instead of the DVD's. It helps but I just don't practice it enough to be comfortable to actually perform it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
How long is the 2019 workshop edition part? (20 mins, an hour, 3 mins?...) also, is it in-depth enough to justify re-buying it from Penguin?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
trickyat86
View Profile
Loyal user
Pittsburgh, PA
296 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
8 minutes. Personally, not enough to warrant a re-purchase if you already have the standard and expansion DVDs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garrett Thomas Stand Up Monte (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL