The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garrett Thomas Stand Up Monte (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Wow!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
This is a terrific trick. I was unaware that it had previously been released in print but I certainly appreciate the video. It is a real worker. It is modular, does not need a table and uses easy to replace gaffs. If you have seen the video you know it is combination wild card/monte effect. I cannot claim to have seen every monte trick and every wild card presentation but I have seen quite a few. I do not know that I have seen anything as magical as this except for Tommy Wonder’s wild card which is of course exquisite. I think this will appear to a wide range of performer. Highly recommended.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Agreed, this is excellent. Although not hard, I have been practicing this relentlessly for a week or so now. I have a gig sunday week at which I hope to try this.
This has passed the wife test - Garrett is right to compare certain phases with the sponge balls (in the spec's hands reactions). The video is very useful for showing the pacing of the handling.
Charlie
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Does the dvd cover stuff not in the print version?
Lakewood, Ohio
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
This is an outstanding effect. Garrett's teaching on the DVD is very clear and easy to follow. Very Highly recommended. One of the best purchases in a very long time.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Where is this in print? And why is it $30 on Koz's site, but $15 everywhere else I see it?
It's all in the reflexes.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
The new version is on dvd with a new ending. The old version was [maybe still is] at Penguin and MJM.
Maybe it is just me but I found the written instructions to be VERY confusing.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
A perfect example a where video can be useful. I think this would be a difficult routine to teach in print
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
The teaching is outstanding; very clear and concise. It is a great step by step instruction to the routine. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, best purchase in a long time!
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
The written instructions were VERY confusing to me also. Cant wait to get the DVD.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
This is SO great!
Great teaching and a brilliant trick.

Got it down to a decent level already, just gotta keep practising!

Pros -

Commercial trick
Reset is easy
So visual
Great teaching
Long DVD

Cons -
Only one trick
Quite expensive

9/10
Best purchase for a while!

Kyle
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I agree with those who found the earlier release through Danny Archer difficult to follow re. the written instructions. Those ordering the latest release are fortunate to have GT take you through the routine on DVD.
Frankly, I am a bit bummed it has bee released again to such fanfare. I have had it for a number of years and quite surprised how few in the magic community had heard or seen it before. However,those of you who purchase and perfrom it will have made one of the best mAGIC PURCHASE IN YEARS.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Everyday of the year 3 new items are released to the magic community. Most are pieces that you will never do, not real world. This effect you will do.
It's that simple. With all those releases how can you pickngood from bad. This is good. It's a worker.
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
THIS IS SO GOOD!
I have tested it on some laymen and they went NUTS!

Kyle
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On 2011-08-12 08:54, Kozmo wrote:
Lol, let me try that again.

Its now available via my site http://www.kozmomagic.com and all pre-orders are shipped! Its no longer a pre-sale. Magic stores should get this end of the month.

Is shipping included?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Shippings included
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
No relationship to Kozmo or Garrett but I have to post again. So many mediocre tricks seem to generate pages of posts. I lot of people say this but the selfish part of me really hopes this does not became widely exposed. Still Garrett and Kozmo deserve the success here. Garrett has a very cerebral approach to magic and some of his slight of hand accomplishments are beyond the reach of the average worker but not this. Again what makes it so strong for a real worker.
1. Packet trick requires little pocket space
2. Modular. As Garrett does, you can play around with 1 or 2 cards at the beginning until you have the attention of enough of your crowd. Then there is a powerful piece of magic with the first transposition. You could stop there if the food comes (or whatever) and you would still have delivered. If you have the time and the attention you can continue to a strong climax.
3. Easy to replace gaffs. Card gaffs get dirty, bent, etc. I don't care how careful you are. I believe a standard Wild Card set has enough gaffs to make at least 2, possibly 3 sets of Monte cards (plus cards from a regular deck).
The only "problem" is that a trick like this successfully incorporates several themes and may replace one or more tricks that were already in your repertoire. I love it.
BlueOwl
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, Ohio
105 Posts

Profile of BlueOwl
I have always been a fan of Monte effects. Some of my past favorites have been Monte 3.0 & Temptation by Gordon Bean, and several different variations on Skinner's Ultimate 3-Card Monte. I received Garrett's Stand-up Monte last week and I am in love. Garrett's routine is now my go to Monte effect!

~ Nathan
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
It blows that I bought it a couple of months ago and there was no DVD at that time then he comes out with a DVD and if I want that I have to purchase it all over again.

Can anyone review the DVD
tester2006
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of tester2006
Can anyone advise on the skill level or sleight-ability needed to perform this?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garrett Thomas Stand Up Monte (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL